Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > two internet control panes

two internet control panes
Chuckmcd
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 10:31 PM

Hey, this is odd. My son was playing some games on my powerbook, but he had some trouble and a bunch of odd stuff was open by the time I got to the room. The next time I checked system prefs I had an "other" line with an extra internet icon. So I now have two identical internet system prefs panes. any idea how to lose one of them?

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 10:55 PM

look in your /library/preferencepanes folder....the panes in here are what you see in the "other" section. perhaps he somehow inadvertantly copied into there? (careful not to confuse it with /system/library/preferencepanes...you don't want to delete anything from there!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

eggman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2002, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by Chuckmcd:
Hey, this is odd. My son was playing some games on my powerbook, but he had some trouble and a bunch of odd stuff was open by the time I got to the room. The next time I checked system prefs I had an "other" line with an extra internet icon. So I now have two identical internet system prefs panes. any idea how to lose one of them?
I just experienced the same problem, and posted about it here earlier today... only my duplicate was the "Accounts" pane.

What worked for me was to go to my Home/Library/PreferencesPane folder (with System Preferences not running) and remove the files in there (which are third party panes) to my desktop (temporarily).

Then I started up System Preferences, and it had corrected the duplicate pane! I shut down System Preferences, moved the third-party panes back to my Library/PreferencesPand folder, and when I started System Preferences again, there were still no duplicates... and my third party panes were there as well.

If you don't have any third party panes.... I don't know what to tell you...

DSHwrd
Sep 19, 2002, 03:48 AM

You guys think you had it strange... I have 5, read that FIVE, Login Item preference panes! Here's a picture:

http://www.dshwrd.com/images/SysPref.jpg

I'll try your method of moving all the third party stuff out... This is just STRANGE!

- Daniel
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

Chuckmcd  (op)
Senior User
Sep 19, 2002, 08:24 AM

Okay, I looked in home/Library/ but there was no PrferencePanes folder there. I have no 3rd party panes so that doesn't surprise me. I also checked in the system but there's only one internet.prefpane there... any other ideas?

Forum Links
Forum Rules