Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Any tips on installing 10.2 on my powerbook?

Any tips on installing 10.2 on my powerbook?
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2002, 04:54 PM

Hello everybody.
I just ordered 10.2 today.( I must have had it when I bought my powerbook but suppost in Greece is awful.By the way f@ck you RAINBOW!!!!)

ANYWAY I have a 667DVI powerbook and ordered the upgrade disc or something like that not the full 10.2 cd.Is there anything I should keep in mind when installing the new os. As it seems it will be installed on top of 10.1.5.Some people here say that they see a speed hit when not clean installed but I'm afraid that's the only way I'll do it.
I would love to hear any tips from you guys who already installled 10.2.
Thanks in advance

edit: I checked again.It's the full cd.They just used a mysterious name.They called it jaguar 10.2 fullfillment kit.... Anyway the questions still stand
( Last edited by phobos; Oct 11, 2002 at 04:59 PM. )

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2002, 05:07 PM

those powerbooks have a combo drive--just backup your data and format-install. it shouldn't be a problem b/c the powerbook is new and you can't have that much data already on it.

but if you're intent on upgrad-install, then it shouldn't cause you problems. however, I recommend rebuilding permissions and running disk utility/fsck after the upgrade--just to narrow your chances of having any problems.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2002, 05:25 PM

Thanks for your answer fulmer.I searched the apple database and it says about a great feautre during install that can keep your current settings and replace the system folder.This is great.Unfortunately I can't remember right know the specific name of this install.

By the way is there an e-mail or a phone number that I can call apple? I want to report the situation here in Greece. Not only I'm paying for what I had to own but I also get an awful attitude from the uninformed and untrained staff.
The 1-800 APPLE doesn't work from here.

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2002, 01:14 AM

Look up the number on the support card that came with your computer.

Anyway it is called archive install and works good. For best results you should reinstall a few programs to make sure they work properly. Macromedia Studio MX, Adobe Products, Symantec Systemworks and Microsoft Office to mention a few.

//Rob

Forum Links
Forum Rules