Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > File transfer in iChat makes it crash

File transfer in iChat makes it crash
Appleman
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 06:57 AM

Whenever I want to send a file in iChat, it crashes as soon as the receiver clicks on it, or when I click as a receiver.

I have an Airport connection. Furthermore do I have my firewall on.

Is this a known bug, or are there certain settings to make?

Thanks.

[edit for spelling]

Rike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 08:01 AM

Well, it's really odd, I have got an Airport connection, too, and sometimes it works, sometimes it does not work at all. I think there are no special settings to make.
A friend of mine thinks it's because of the Airport so maybe that's the reason. Let's hope Apple will fix that in the next update.

CU Rike
"The Mac isn�t a computer.
It�s a way of life."
- Don Rittner

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 08:04 AM

There are certain settings which can be choosen in Airport.

Do you have your Firewall on?

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 08:19 AM

Found a firewall setting in Apple's Knowladge Base, not sure if you can enter when you are a non-.Mac-user, so I'll cpoy the text as well, but here is the link anyway and here is the text:
---------------------

TITLE

iChat: Chats or File Transfers Initiated in Rendezvous Buddy List Do Not Work

Article ID:
Created:
Modified: 107192
10/15/02
10/23/02
TOPIC

When starting a chat from your Rendezvous buddy list, you may see a white chat window that contains no text. This is because the Mac OS X Firewall, found in the Sharing preference pane, blocks the port used for local iChat traffic.

DISCUSSION

Symptom

A chat or file transfer in a chat started from your Rendezvous Buddy list does not work. You may see an empty, white chat window.

Products affected
o Mac OS X 10.2 or later
o iChat 1.0 or later

Solution

This occurs if you are using the Firewall feature of Mac OS X, which by default blocks the port used for local iChat traffic (5298). "Local" Follow these steps to open port 5298:
1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click Sharing.
3. Click the Firewall tab.
4. Click Stop.
5. Click the New button.
6. Choose Other from the Port Name pop-up menu.
7. In the Port Number field, type: 5353
8. In the Description field, type: Rendezvous
9. Click OK.
10. Click Start.

-------------

Haven't tried it yet, since my only iChat buddy is out...welcome to Europe...

Rike
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 08:20 AM

Originally posted by Appleman:
There are certain settings which can be choosen in Airport.

Do you have your Firewall on?
Do you mean the Firewall in Mac OS X? This is off, but the Firewall in our router is on. Or is there any in the Airport? I'm not so firm with all that stuff, because my father is managing that. But I think that might not be the real problem, because I always had got troubles with file transfer in iChat, even when we had a by-call connection to the internet and no Firewall at all. So I guess the problem should be the Airport...

CU Rike
"The Mac isn�t a computer.
It�s a way of life."
- Don Rittner

Appleman  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by Rike:

Do you mean the Firewall in Mac OS X? This is off, but the Firewall in our router is on. Or is there any in the Airport? I'm not so firm with all that stuff, because my father is managing that. But I think that might not be the real problem, because I always had got troubles with file transfer in iChat, even when we had a by-call connection to the internet and no Firewall at all. So I guess the problem should be the Airport...

CU Rike
I'm digging into Airport now...

Although I thought Airport does have a kind of firewall in it, I cannot really find a setting in the Airport Admin Utility. Apple's discussiongroup doesn't have a search possibilty! so I browsed a bit through the +4000 postings but gave up: no indexing whatsoever
( Last edited by Appleman; Oct 25, 2002 at 08:42 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules