Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > GUI vs. CLI & OS X - The Big Picture

GUI vs. CLI & OS X - The Big Picture
Bollaroid II
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 10:57 AM

this is related to this forum, but is a digression that i concidered worthy of a fresh discussion:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=128447

unlike many who have said the CLI is dead i think it will always exist as long as computers (in current form factor or similar) exist.

after all, it is just another interface with which to communicate with the computer just like the GUI is - or the skin/eyes/ears ar to the body. this is what those people (mostly windows users) dont get.

now back to the title of my post, i think apple should put some effort towards integrating the GUI & CLI. here i am referring to functionality.

anything that can be done on one should be possible on the other. obviously, some will be better, more efficient and more practical on one vs. the other, but the power (capabilities/intelligence/sophistication) behind a system that has this capability is probably beyond our full appreciation until the actual product ships and hackers start doing what they are well known for.

an example is what one of the posters in the other thread said:

Hehehehee... DV Camera + Quicktime Broadcaster + Quicktime Streaming Server + this + 100B switched LAN= a riot.

My coworker who DJ's at a techno bar is already scheming how to work this into the video displays.... I don't think it will be light enough in there for source material. But throw in some funky recorded videos...."
by C.J. Moof

the sheer geek factor potential behind a system wide implmentation of what can be done with this application is to me mind bogling as i am a CLI amateur.

obviously, in the immediate, apple should concentrate on more urgent issues that have to do with X, X Server, X-Serve, iApps, .mac, proApps, etc. , but i would not be disappointed (far from it) if in OS X Pegasus ver. 10.6 (2006), apple came out with such a feature. this would make "longhorn" look more like "calf"

what do y'all think.
( Last edited by Bollaroid II; Oct 25, 2002 at 11:04 AM. )

Vanquish
Oct 25, 2002, 11:30 AM

msuper69
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2002, 11:52 AM

WTF?

dudesteve
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2002, 01:10 PM

The CLI is dead? heh. Oh, then I should have just switched to Windows after all. I stuck with the Mac largely because of the flexibility of a legitimate desktop OS coupled with a unix CLI and a decent (and hopefully improving...) GUI.

anything that can be done on one should be possible on the other

While I'm not sure I totally agree with this, I do agree that I'd like to see more control available through the CLI.

I think the place to do this is in AppleScript. That makes things extensible not only via the CLI (via osascript) but through the GUI, too.

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Bollaroid II:

Hehehehee... DV Camera + Quicktime Broadcaster + Quicktime Streaming Server + this + 100B switched LAN= a riot.

My coworker who DJ's at a techno bar is already scheming how to work this into the video displays.... I don't think it will be light enough in there for source material. But throw in some funky recorded videos...."
by C.J. Moof

the sheer geek factor potential behind a system wide implmentation of what can be done with this application is to me mind bogling as i am a CLI amateur.

Since that's me quoted, I feel an obligation to chime in. But I only have a vague guess at what you're after.

How would a "system wide implementation" of the ability to take a live video feed, pump it to another computer and convert the video into ASCII do any good? It's useless, except for the novelty factor for geeks and club dancers. My wife just rolled her eyes at me when I showed her, as she's neither of those.

In reality, there's no reason that demands a CLI... one could write an app that runs the video thru the ASCII converter and puts the text out in an app window instead. I've got one for stills, video is just a series of stills...

What's your point again? If it's the ability to make the CLI and GUI interchangeable, I'm all for it. Remote admin of mom's machine down a modem line is fine when I can do commands over SSH, but that can't click menus and buttons. Timbuktu is PAINFULLY slow then, much worse in X than 9. But if I wanted to show her how to tweak a mail.app rule, the CLI just won't cut it.

So... if we could render a VNC session into text in the terminal.... oh boy.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Forum Links
Forum Rules