Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Has Apple fixed the "windtunnel" G4's?

Has Apple fixed the "windtunnel" G4's?
davidb224
Forum Regular
Nov 5, 2002, 08:59 PM

I read an article today at Macintouch that would seem to indicate that Apple must have changed something on the latest versions of the 1.25 GHz G4.

The article states: "Andy Kleinke offers hope that Apple has fixed the obnoxious noise problems in its Power Mac G4 (MDD) "wind-tunnel" systems:

Just thought I'd let you know that Apple seems to have fixed the "Windtunnel" syndrom with the new PowerMac G4. Maybe you've been told by other readers, but apparently the noise problem is no more. Gone. Fixed. Sorted.

I received a brand-new 1.25Ghz G4 last Friday; it had a 10.2.1 Restore CD with it. I anticipated the same fan noise that everybody else has experienced and that I witnessed myself with a couple of new Dual 867 and 1Ghz machines I've seen at work. (I'm with an Apple Authorized Service Provider). But no. No starting jet engines. No hairdryer. No fan noise, at least no more than with the Quicksilvers. I tried both OS 9 and OS X, and really - it doesn't blow!"
davidb

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 10:31 PM

well, there have been rumors of firmware fixes, and motherboard replacements, but keep in mind, these are just rumors.

keep in mind, apple has not made any offical statment to any problem. They have not even admitted there was a problem. So what you just posted, is again, just another rumor. Basing on the fact that his apple didnt have the problem, doesnt mean apple has fixed it. As you know, some people say they have issues and some dont. Who knows if his did or did not have the issue.

So , when apple doesnt even say there is a problem, how can they have fixed it?

But if you see all the posts, you will say horror stories all over the web.....

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

all you see, is angry users.
( Last edited by proaudio101; Nov 5, 2002 at 10:38 PM. )

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2002, 11:36 PM

I like my Dual 1 gig. I'm a happy user.

It's pretty quiet too.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 5, 2002, 11:58 PM

yesm but the question of the post was, has apple fix this issue, not who has it and who doesnt....

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 01:01 AM

I just got my 1.25 Ghz MDD Power Mac and the thing sounds like a Hoover vacuum. I called Apple tech support and it looks like they want me to take it to the local authorized Apple repair center. I really don't want to let go of it after just getting it, but this is driving me crazy. I have it upstairs in my office and I can hear it running from downstairs.

Aside from the noise issue, it is amazing. I never knew OS X could start up so fast, and app launching is instantaneous. But I digress from the topic...

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 01:37 AM

yes, thats is a perfect eample of how the "fix rumor"
is untrue.... Apple has done NOTHING to fix it. Now, you send your brand spanking new apple, and now you have a refurbished one. Might have well just bought one off of macwarehouse, or some other pl;ace, and got a discount...

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 02:25 AM

Good God, you keep harping about this "refurbished" BS. I know you're mad, but it's not a refurbished product. Refurbished products were used by someone else and then analyzed for defects then resold. Maybe if you were buying one, it might be refurbished, but you're not. Is your car "refurbished" after you get new tires?

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Nov 6, 2002, 04:17 AM

..i'm convinced this dweeb is a pc troller.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 08:28 AM

If there is a fix, how loud is abnormal. I have a new dual ghz and what I guess is the power supply fan supplies a constant hum that is much louder than my PC. Is this in fact the power supply or is it something that Apple could quiet down?

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 10:25 AM

Yes, its nice to divert the attention to me, but, I am not the reason that the apple g4 is loud. Remember that I am simply one of the thousands of angry users, who have been ripped off by apple.

As you can see, there is no speed diffrence on the new DDR machines, and apple is just plain falling behind when it comes to performacne.

http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html

Apple just cant get ut right, selling over clocked, over heating g4's, with nothing but problems. Dont take my word for it, look at all the angry people on the net!

And the PC users are laughing so hard at these apple guys, nice for apple to have so many advertsiements about the PC nightmares, but in real life, its the mac users with nightmares...
( Last edited by proaudio101; Nov 6, 2002 at 10:39 AM. )

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 10:26 AM

I have a dual 867 and I have only heard the "leafblower" come on three times ever, and each time only for 3 seconds on a restart. The power supply fans do provide a constant hum, but it's no more annoying than my old iMac. I think we do have a troll on our hands. In fact, I'm willing to guess that every one of his 20 posts are flame posts about this topic.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 10:33 AM

oh, I see, so all the people on the apple forums who are raving mad, trolls also? I want apple to fix this problem, but they have not..... meaning, in lamens term, they just dont care.

KeilwerthSX90R
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 01:51 PM

Should I be worried then? My power supply is much louder than any of the old iMacs and much louder than any other older G4 I have ever seen.

Was there something about the power supply fans being out of alignment? Would that do it?

I am very happy with my computer but if I can make it quieter that would be nice.

Thanks,
Josh

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by proaudio101:
oh, I see, so all the people on the apple forums who are raving mad, trolls also? I want apple to fix this problem, but they have not..... meaning, in lamens term, they just dont care.
Shutup. If you have a problem with noise then get it fixed and be done with it. What crap are you talking about "refurbished"? So, if I take my new car in because there's a problem with it, I get back a refurbished one? Load of crap. What a dumb way to try to lend importance to yourself.

davidb224  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2002, 02:44 PM

yes but the question of the post was, has apple fixed this issue, not who has it and who doesnt....
I checked and Apple has admitted there is a noise problem AND they have a fix.

There is a discussion of this at Apple Discussions. The lead article for this discussion is called:

"Topic: Apple Admits fan noise is problem caused by....A faulty motherboard."

And this topic goes on to say: "Looks like they are finally admitting it and will replace it under warranty."
davidb

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by davidb224:

I checked and Apple has admitted there is a noise problem AND they have a fix.

There is a discussion of this at Apple Discussions. The lead article for this discussion is called:

And this topic goes on to say: "Looks like they are finally admitting it and will replace it under warranty."
David, thanks for the info. This will be useful knowledge when I drop off my G4 this week to get the problem repaired.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 03:55 PM

ok, lets break this down

Looks like, looks like what, where is the statement? Where has apple come out and said, there is a problem? Can someone give a DIRECT LINK to where an offical from apple has made an OFFICAL STATEMENT?

As you see here

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=24;t=014451

you see that the many people calling apple care, siad apple care was not aware of ANY problem. So again, where is the offical statment?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 03:59 PM

ok, lets break this down

Looks like, looks like what, where is the statement? Where has apple come out and said, there is a problem? Can someone give a DIRECT LINK to where an offical from apple has made an OFFICAL STATEMENT?

As you see here

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=24;t=014451

you see that the many people calling apple care, siad apple care was not aware of ANY problem. So again, where is the offical statment?
You are one really ****ing annoying person.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 04:14 PM

Looks like, looks like what, where is the statement? Where has apple come out and said, there is a problem? Can someone give a DIRECT LINK...
I got your link right here.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 05:13 PM

yeah , that link is correct! Thats just what apple is doing!!

drosenba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 06:14 PM

OK, here's my deal.

Yes, proaudio is annoying. Doesn't mean the problem isn't real.

I've got a 1.25GHz tower. Got it so I could do digital media creation -- mostly music. Windows wasn't sufficient, though I do rather love Sound Forge. I needed a machine that could take expansion cards and had multipe HD bays, cuz I don't believe in high-performance computing over Firewire.

That meant a tower, and the only ones that Apple offers are the DPs.

I've used PCs since 1985 and Macs since 1986. I know they're not silent. But I'm also running two homebrew Wintel machines in my office; I engineered them for quiet, using high-quality and moderately expensive fans, and they do pretty well.

I'm really pretty shocked at the fan noise of the current line of Mac towers. Not the "leafblower," which doesn't come on all that often and is meant for stress situations. Not the revving of the Superdrive as it prepares to write, because that's a normal CD-ROM thing. It's the the power supply fans. Ohmigod the power supply fans. What a place to cheap out.

Put briefly (I know -- *way* too late for that) -- the only Macs that Apple now has for professional media use is unsuitable for the creation of professional media. I can't track using this thing. I can't edit sound using this thing.

I don't want my money back. I don't want to go back to Windows. I want a Mac I can use. And flaming proaudio while ignoring the underlying point is even less help than his original posts.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 06:29 PM

well, there is a huge problem in the computer world today.... People think that apples are better then PC's.

Why? I have no idea. As you see in bench marks, AMD beats out apple plain and simple. It has more raw power, and XP is an amazing OS, that never crashes or has crashed. It is very fast and stable.

Plus, AMD is cheaper. I really feel the price of apples are just way to much. Lets break down the price.

http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m3.htm

you can see that as of today, AMD 2200 MP goes for $209 USD

How come the AMD is faster and cheaper then a g4?

Why do G4's copst so much? Hard drivers should be the same, Ram is about the same.....

That leaves what, the G4 CPU....hmmmm. Are the really worth thousands of dollars for an under powered chip..... Seems as apple is riping people off...

drosenba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2002, 06:49 PM

well, there is a huge problem in the computer world today.... People think that apples are better then PC's.

Why? I have no idea. As you see in bench marks, AMD beats out apple plain and simple. It has more raw power, and XP is an amazing OS, that never crashes or has crashed. It is very fast and stable.

Now you're not being annoying, you're being dumb.

If Windows was stable and never crashes, I promise you that I wouldn't have beaten a path to the Mac. In fact, after two years of tweaking, I could never get my Windows music recording system to stablize. The slightest problem would cause the OS to scram, forcing a two-day process of rebuilding and restoring.

No more. My time's worth more than that.

Sometimes, cheap is as cheap does. The Mac's a better solution for what I need to do. But it needs to be quieter.

So do you.

Anyone around here know how to set a bozo filter?

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 06:57 PM

Plus, AMD is cheaper. I really feel the price of apples are just way to much. Lets break down the price.

you can see that as of today, AMD 2200 MP goes for $209 USD

How come the AMD is faster and cheaper then a g4?

Why do G4's copst so much? Hard drivers should be the same, Ram is about the same.....

That leaves what, the G4 CPU....hmmmm. Are the really worth thousands of dollars for an under powered chip..... Seems as apple is riping people off...
Thanks, proaudio. That confirmed it for me that you are indeed a troll. For a while there, I thought you might have been a real user with a concern. I believe that there are users out there that are concerned about fan noise of the new G4s and that they have posted in this same topic, but they certainly argue their case differently.

Have you tried calling Apple yourself? If you did just buy it, you get 90 days of phone support. I don't care what other people have done with respect to Apple. What have you done?

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 07:16 PM

I have called apple. They said, like they have said to others, they dont know.

This is my first apple. I just really feel ripped off. I see all the TV ads of people who claim that there macs just work, and how bad their PC 's were. But I find outthat I have more problems, and lower performace on my new apple.

You my call me names and all. But I have 2 things that I can prove.

1. There is a problem with the new g4's

2. AMD beats the new g4's.

So my point is, that apple has ripped me off, because the g4 is not as fast as a $200 amd...

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2002, 07:29 PM

the g4 is not as fast as a $200 amd...
I call you on that. Prices and places, start listing.

Also, since you feel that way, I will trade you a "$200" AMD for your machine.
( Last edited by Scotttheking; Nov 6, 2002 at 07:41 PM. )
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 08:05 PM

if you know what your doing, you can build a faster machine then a g4 for about $800 USD.

xtro
Nov 6, 2002, 09:31 PM

Jesus christ, someone PLEASE run this troll over.

I am praying for a runaway bus.... errant piece of an airplane falling from the sky... anything.

End this PC trolling bullshit.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2002, 09:37 PM

if you know what your doing, you can build a faster machine then a g4 for about $800 USD.
Uhh, now show me the web site of the company thats going to sell me it for that price. I always see those prices and then you have ti add about $700 of stuff, and its still an ugly POS that has to run Windows (well, Linux, but..)

Cindy74
Nov 6, 2002, 09:45 PM

I too would like to know if Apple is addressing the power supply fan noise and where that link is on the Apple site.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 6, 2002, 09:51 PM

ok, here is the deal.

apple has NOT admitted there was a problem. So they are not going to fix , what they think, doesnt need to be fixed. That is a big problem for us users who have spent so much on their products.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 6, 2002, 10:35 PM

I am still waiting for a link to the $200 AMD, and my offer for a trade still stands. Don't forget that I charge $50 per hour for assembly and setup, so make sure to factor that in.

Otherwise, stop the continual complaining and do some research before spending that much on a computer.
If I bought a machine, ANY MACHINE, that was wrong for the task, I would be shot by my boss.
Mistakes like that are your fault.

--Scott
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 6, 2002, 11:16 PM

It is easy to smell the stench of a troll, and I picked him out as one about 20 posts ago.
He keeps getting more & more ridiculous with every post he makes.

I don't really get what his problem is.

Is he having problems with a pci audio card ?
Apple will now replace the motherboard, so that is solved.

Is he having problems with the fannoise ?
Supposedly, there is a firmware update coming any minute, that will fix the problem with the proc. board fan under 9.

Is he having problems with the speed of the dual ?
Then he is obviously a moron, who never should have bought a mac.

Well, ive wasted enough of my time on him.
Proaudio, what an ironic name, he is an insult to real pros, because he's acting kind of pathetic. He just doesn't get it.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 01:24 AM

the fact is, that apple has not fixed antything. Where is this offical statement from apple?

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 03:14 AM

here is info from a user who just got his motherboard replaced....

OK,
I have officially had my logic board replaced by Apple, and guess what, same noise level. I just hope that the firmware update is coming soon. If anyone modifies their mac and is successful, please let us know!

found at

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/7

so you see, there is no fix, nothing, nada.....apple just cant fix it. well, until the new g4 comes out in january and these get phazed out.

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Nov 7, 2002, 03:37 AM

..if you hate apple so much , why don't you buy your bloody pc ?

..please do , and close the door on your way out.

ollio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2002, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by eddiecatflap:
..if you hate apple so much , why don't you buy your bloody pc ?
I also bought a MDD PM . And at first I thought I would get used to the noise, but I didn't , it is just too loud.
Even when I put on iTunes, I can still hear the loud humming.
Did anyone have any succes when calling Apple? did they say they have a fix on the horizon? or did they just say "live with it"?

I really hope there will be a solution to all this. and the sooner the better.
( Last edited by ollio; Nov 7, 2002 at 03:21 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2002, 12:42 PM

Arrrgh; wrong thread. Sorry.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Nov 7, 2002 at 12:52 PM. )

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by TimmyDee51:
I have a dual 867 and I have only heard the "leafblower" come on three times ever, and each time only for 3 seconds on a restart. The power supply fans do provide a constant hum, but it's no more annoying than my old iMac. I think we do have a troll on our hands. In fact, I'm willing to guess that every one of his 20 posts are flame posts about this topic.
LOL, that's just like my 800dp, sometimes to annoy people I hold it at restart so it does it's hoover impression

It's a really high pitched whine too! I guess it's because they used a darn delta fan (funny, it actually IS delta in this machine wtf?!)

The worst, is every now and then, my computer 'forgets' the fan speeds, and I recall both all fans going off for a second, and all fans going on FULL BLAST (leafblower) for as long as minute, etc.

Though with RC5 cruncher, or such, I can get this machine to leafblower mode very fast.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 04:32 PM

here is another post from a user who bought 2 new apples, with same problem...proof apple has not done anything...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/3

so thats more proof that apple has not fixed anything....

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 04:44 PM

here is another post from a user who bought 2 new apples, with same problem...proof apple has not done anything...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/3

so thats more proof that apple has not fixed anything....
Is this what you do all day long? Seriously dude, you ned to get a life. Go do something productive on your brand new G4, and don't give me this **** on how loud it is. Put it on the floor with carpet on it under the desk. You are one sad dumbass if this is what you do all day. You deserve to be shot in the head and hung 10 times over.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 04:51 PM

People who complain about how loud their computer is are NEUROTIC.

End of story.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 05:19 PM

hey do you work for apple, because you and apple seem to think the same way... the people who are complaining about the noise, it might just be in their heads right?

hmm, wonder why apple has been called windtunnel..

PacHead
Baninated
Nov 7, 2002, 05:27 PM

hey, proaudio, you seem to be on the net quite a lot.

Since practically day one, when the new mirrormacs came out, there were posts from people talking about the noise level.

how could you have missed them ?

As for me, i just bought a 933, now that's a proaudio machine deluxe.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2002, 05:51 PM

ProAudio can I ask you something? Was a gun held to your head when you bought your mac? You obviously think it was a stupid decision.

So what you meant to say is:

"I'm an idiot."

"I was so stupid."

"I'm a *uckup for making unwise purchases."

"Oh God I should kill myself for spending all that money and not researching what I wanted first."

Right? Unless of course you purchased it at gunpoint.

proaudio101
Banned
Nov 7, 2002, 06:20 PM

well, I thought apples were high end machines...which someone would have warend me....

buyer beware.............

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2002, 06:56 PM

well, I thought apples were high end machines...which someone would have warend me....

buyer beware.............
Their are now 30 million active Mac users (Steve said 25 one year ago and then he said 5 million OS X users by years end so I rounded up a million) and I don't see them complaining.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 7, 2002, 07:50 PM

Proaudio WTF do you mean? Are you mental?

Basically tomorrow when I go to purchase a new BMW m3 and i find out a weak later about drive shaft problems every other m3 owner on the road is at fault? I mean WTF they should have warned me!!!

If you played with your Mac before you purchased it and still bought it NOT liking it you should use the power cord to hang yourself.

If you didn't then your a retard, and should have returned it if you didn't like the performance. Either way you are solely responsible for your own actions. That means you the troll are the retard one.

Thank-you and goodnight.

davidb224  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 11, 2002, 01:49 PM

the fact is, that apple has not fixed antything. Where is this offical statement from apple?
I only know what I have already written here. I can't find any official statement from Apple.

However, I don't really remember them ever making official statements about stuff like this.

I will continue to look for more info on this issue at Apple Discussions.
davidb

slim jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2002, 03:38 PM

david,

There is a huge uproar of dis-satisfaction with apple care, apples policy, apples lies, and apples broken promises.

If you go the the apple power mac forums, you will find new posts everyday about people groing tired with apple due to the fact that they have not fixed the many problems with these machines such as , PCI cards that dont work, audio humming, kernal panics, loud fan noise, crashes, and over heating computers. Many people have shown there fustration over this matter.

I came here to see if anyone had the same problem, but I was bashed and accused of being someone else, I was told I was a lier , and I was cursed at, and called names. I would adivse you to check this forum, and read the threads , the many threads anout the many problems of this crippled g4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules