Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.2 is out...check Software Update.

10.2.2 is out...check Software Update. (Page 2)
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2002, 10:45 PM

Damn, it's going pretty slow. Gotta hate dial-up. Let's hope things go smoothly. Let's hope for some Snappy�.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 11, 2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
Is anybody else having issues with software update? It says 'The installation has encountered a problem. None of the checked updates were successfully installed.'

Villa
Me, too. See my post in another thread. Try quitting software update and then check for updates again. Don't install, but choose download to desktop from the menu instead. Then try installing from the package manually by double clicking. I still couldn't get this to work. It died during "configuring software". Let me know if you have the same symptoms.

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 11:12 PM

After installing this update, I just verified and repaired disk permissions without booting from the Jaguar boot CD. How is this possible?

villalobos
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by mgl:

Me, too. See my post in another thread. Try quitting software update and then check for updates again. Don't install, but choose download to desktop from the menu instead. Then try installing from the package manually by double clicking. I still couldn't get this to work. It died during "configuring software". Let me know if you have the same symptoms.
Well I finally went to my admin account instead of the normal user account I used all the time, and it worked fine. The 'download to desktop' from the menu did not work either.

Maybe just logging out and back in again will help you. If not, and if you are in a user account, try an account with admin privileges.

Hope this helps you

Villa

piracy
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
After installing this update, I just verified and repaired disk permissions without booting from the Jaguar boot CD. How is this possible?
You've always been able to do that with Jaguar.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by ryju:

Journaling-- I turned it on, and I haven't noticed any changes, whether or not I should, I don't know.
Okay, I just gotta say this (and this doesn't apply just to you, but to everyone who's messing with this feature):

Enabling features for which there's no UI and about which you know nothing is a classic example of a Bad Idea�.

If the engineers haven't made a checkbox to turn this on, and if they haven't added anything to the help system, then consider it an unfinished feature. Heck, even the documentation on what's changed in 10.2.2 says it's just preliminary.

In other words, if you don't KNOW that you NEED journaling, leave it off.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Nov 11, 2002, 11:26 PM

I just had an amazing experience with 10.2.2. I was installing paper on my PC...err I was installing the nightly Chimera build, so I mounted the DMG image and I dragged the app to the Applications folder, and it was like...BAM! It took like 2 seconds to transfer the 20MB file! It usually takes much much longer than that. I hope it wasn't just a one time thing. I really could get used to that.

ryju
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2002, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Oneota:

Okay, I just gotta say this (and this doesn't apply just to you, but to everyone who's messing with this feature):

Enabling features for which there's no UI and about which you know nothing is a classic example of a Bad Idea�.

If the engineers haven't made a checkbox to turn this on, and if they haven't added anything to the help system, then consider it an unfinished feature. Heck, even the documentation on what's changed in 10.2.2 says it's just preliminary.

Yeah I guess you're right, kind of stupid of me to enable a feature I have no clue about. This is usually why I sometimes screw up my computer, I'll disable it, thanks for the insight.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by ryju:

Yeah I guess you're right, kind of stupid of me to enable a feature I have no clue about. This is usually why I sometimes screw up my computer, I'll disable it, thanks for the insight.
Actually, Journaling DOES have a UI on Mac OS X Server. I assume this is more for marketing purposes.

jwblase
Senior User
Nov 12, 2002, 12:08 AM

Quote: If the engineers haven't made a checkbox to turn this on, and if they haven't added anything to the help system, then consider it an unfinished feature. Heck, even the documentation on what's changed in 10.2.2 says it's just preliminary.

I believe that there is a UI element for it in the Disk Utility.app

Just because it's not an obvious checkbox doesn't mean that people shouldn't use it.

I mean, using your logic, users shouldn't use the terminal at all because it contains things that don't have UI elements. That's silly. That's what makes OS X so powerful: UNIX!!!

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

eno
Banned
Nov 12, 2002, 12:09 AM

Nah. Everybody needs journaling. Everybody. Macs still crash. We still have to do the odd involuntary forced reboot. We need journaling.

Just turn it on and forget about it.

[Note: I only wonder why upon revisiting the Kbase article at Apple they've completely removed the reference to journalling. It used to say "* Provides a foundation for the journalling filesystem (JFS), which may currently be enabled via Disk Utility on Mac OS X Server systems." and now it says nothing... hehehe]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2002, 12:23 AM

Journaling is being pushed as a "new feature" in X Server 10.2.2, so if Apple thinks it's good enough for server admins to use, it should be pretty safe.

That said, I would agree that any admin worth his or her salt would be waiting a few weeks to hear more about how good the journaling implementation is.

Just because you don't understand what journaling is, though, doesn't mean you can't benefit from its added error-checking.

My 2�.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 12, 2002, 12:27 AM

DVD-R recorded on a Panasonic DMR-E30 set top DVD recorder still don't work in OS X.2.2.

They work fine in OS 9.2, and supposedly work fine also in X.1.5.

They also work fine in Windows.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 12:30 AM

for the standalone updater here it is
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120165

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 12:30 AM

The potential problems with journaling may lie in the need to boot into OS 9. On a 10.2.2 server, you will never plan on booting into 9 (or run classic for that matter). I suspect there are problems related to crashes happening in OS 9 that screw your journal.

Anyone willing to enable journaling in OS X, booot into 9, launch a ton of apps and start force quiting them while they are booting/writing to disk, then boot back into 10.2.2 in verbose mode and tell us what it says?

Y

p.s. I'm not willing to test this on my computer.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Nov 12, 2002, 12:35 AM

Originally posted by yuriwho:
The potential problems with journaling may lie in the need to boot into OS 9. On a 10.2.2 server, you will never plan on booting into 9 (or run classic for that matter). I suspect there are problems related to crashes happening in OS 9 that screw your journal.

Anyone willing to enable journaling in OS X, booot into 9, launch a ton of apps and start force quiting them while they are booting/writing to disk, then boot back into 10.2.2 in verbose mode and tell us what it says?

Y

p.s. I'm not willing to test this on my computer.
Well, only if both are on the same partition. If they aren't, you can just make the X one journaled, and leave the 9 one normal HFS+.

I'm not willing to try it either, though.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 12:39 AM

Finally, a sane argument to use partitions again.

Y

Originally posted by gorgonzola:

Well, only if both are on the same partition. If they aren't, you can just make the X one journaled, and leave the 9 one normal HFS+.

I'm not willing to try it either, though.

asxless
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 01:49 AM

A quick scan of the 10.2.2 update 'file list' includes these interesting kernel extension files...

./System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUThermo.kext/Contents/Info.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUThermo.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleCPUThermo
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUThermo.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleCPUThermo.kext/Contents/version.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/Info.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleFan
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleFan.kext/Contents/version.plist

Has anyone seen a noticeable change in their Mac's fan's behavior? For example, are the new 'wind tunnel' PowerMacs any quieter after the update?

asxless in iLand

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2002, 02:24 AM

A VERY nice new feature in sherlock is shortcuts
Channel > Make a shortcut

this saves the channel into your documents folder, so instead of reloading the channel every time you go to it - it loads it off your HD, and it appears instantly. Very helpful for dial-up peeps like me.

Also - they've added a News and Movies channel for Japanese users. Perhaps a sign of more international channels to come?

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 05:35 AM

I notice that for directories with large numbers of files that the Finder is reasonably faster. Not as significant as the change between 10.1 and 10.2, but a nice little bump. That was always the Finder's achilles heel.

I did a copy of a 5 mb directory full of a ton of small files. It seems to be noticably faster in copying. Once again this was a gripe of mine in the past. I copied 124 MB of MP3's - about 20 - and it was very noticably faster.

All in all a nice upgrade for the Finder. Now if they'd fix the preview in the Finder I'd be a totally happy camper.

I must say that the Finder has gone from being an embarrassment in 10.0 to be quite nice.

asxless
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
I notice that for directories with large numbers of files that the Finder is reasonably faster. ...
I must say that the Finder has gone from being an embarrassment in 10.0 to be quite nice.
The OSX Finder has improved a lot since the dismal 10.0 Finder but... it is still the weakest part of OSX. The quality and completeness of the OSX Finder in each release is consistently about a 'half dot' behind the rest of OS X (e.g. the current Finder is more like I would have expected in 10.1.7 vs 10.2.2). It's as if the OS X Finder team is working in a different time zone --- OSX -6 months

asxless in iLand

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2002, 10:01 AM

Interestingly, I get an error if I try to enable journalling on root, though it works fine on my other hard drive.
Code:
[untermac:~] banana% sudo diskutil enableJournal / Password: Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Couldn't open device /dev/rdisk2 Pre-allocating the journal file failed on volume / (No space left on device) Try using a smaller (4096 k) journal size Journaling has been enabled on / [untermac:~] banana%
Yet, there are about 2 GB free on that volume. It does say that it has been enabled, but checking disk utility or using diskutil information / tells me that it has not been. Nor does the GUI method work.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2002, 12:52 AM

its definitely faster... in fact its PLEASINGLY fast... GUI's moving like a breeze

we paid for it in bugs, however. i've had two lockups so far, and its only been a day... aqua also likes to throw random widget pieces in corners of my screen now...

it would have all been worth it if the SMB browsing by file name feature actaully EXISTED. from what i can tell after a day of intensely configuring Samba, this feature is a lie!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2002, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by piracy:
For those enabling journaling: be advised that no disk utilities currently support repairing a journaled HFS+ volume, including Disk Utility and fsck. In theory, you shouldn't need any disk utilities with journaling; however, it's new and you may encounter issues. If you do need to repair a journaled volume for some reason, use fsck_hfs -f [device id].
According to Apple's OS X Server Journaling PDF, most current disk utilities can be used on a journaled system without any problem. Apple does caution that utility vendors should be contacted in order to ensure compatibility, but that's only in the footnote. YMMV.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2002, 03:13 PM

While I agree that the Finder used to be the weakest part of OSX, I don't think that is true anymore. With the exception of previewing and sorting in column mode, I think it works very well. This recent speed increase for copying put it over the top for me. It is a minimalist program, but after using Path Finder for a while I decided that I liked that. I actually went back to the Finder from Path Finder. (Although I strongly feel that Apple should change the Finder's preview mode to how Path Finder does it)

Don't get me wrong. I used to be an outspoken critic of the Finder. And I honestly believe that this 10.2.2 Finder should have been there for 10.0 where we had a ridiculously poor Finder. But I have a hard time criticizing it now. There is the afore mentioned preview problems, but realistically I rarely do that.

There are feautres I wished it had, such as a preview/thumbnail view. But that is a minor issue.

It is hard to say that the Finder is the weakest part of the OSX experience anymore. There are many other areas of weakness, such as browsing Windows servers. (Why isn't it as easy as browsing a network under XP?) There is the Open/Save dialog box issue where we have two interfaces depending upon API used (Carbon/Cocoa). Further the Open/Save dialog boxes are much weaker than OS9 let alone XP. It is also basically an 18 year old approach as well. One would think that this aspect of the OS (used by everyone) really needs dramatic improvement. There are some 3rd party apps that improve it, such as Dialog Folder. But Apple really needs improvement here. Then there are the weak iApps (iSync, iCal, iChat) and other weaknesses. So I think the Finder is at this point pretty minor in what needs improved.

Forum Links
Forum Rules