Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk Utility on a Journaled system

Disk Utility on a Journaled system
simonmartin
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2002, 06:23 AM

Hi,

Two questions:

1) *Every* time I repair permissions with Disk Utility I get:

<2002-11-28 10:15:57 +0000 - Repair of privileges has started
We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/hfs.util. New permissions are 33261.
2002-11-28 10:19:24 +0000 - The privileges have been repaired on the selected volume.>

Are these 'Special permissions' normal?

2) If I am running a Journaled system and things need fixing with permissions or fsck, are they taken into account by the Journaling or will they be ignored when I restart (this would be pretty silly)? Should I restart as soon as fixes are made in case I have a crash in which case the Journal will revert to the last 'Good' system?

Sorry, that's three...

Simon

Usama's Carcase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2002, 10:47 AM

I think you should disable journaling, do a full permissions and diagnostics check/repair, then turn it back on. from what I recall of the kb article on journaling, you don't need to repair the drive any longer with journaling active, assuming a clean, intact file system and permissions from the get-go.

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2002, 11:00 AM

The "special permissions" message is normal.
To run the fsck routine on a journaled disk or partition, you need to use the -f flag. Thus the command would be "fsck -fy".
Repairing permissions apparently will work as usual.
Certain 3rd-party programs such as Drive 10 will turn journaling off when run. Others will need you to turn it off yourself. The safest course of action is to manually disable it before running any repair program. And except for repairing permissions, I always reboot after running any repair routine. Not sure it's necessary, but I do it anyway.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Emotionally Fragile Luke
Banned
Nov 28, 2002, 11:12 AM

This is exactly why Apple makes you turn on journaling through the commmand line.

Forum Links
Forum Rules