Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disable Trackpad while typing or when external mouse is pluged in?

Disable Trackpad while typing or when external mouse is pluged in?
DSHwrd
Nov 30, 2002, 11:16 PM

Hey All,

I've search the forums for this and couldn't find anything, so don't bust my ass for asking!

Why don't the 'Disable Trackpad while typing' or 'Disable Trackpad when mouse is present' options work? I have them both checked off, and the trackpad still works! I have a Microsoft Intellimouse plugged in and the mouse still jumps all over the screen while I'm typing. I have lazy thumbs that sit on top of the trackpad (well, the bottom of them do) and it's annoying watching the mouse go all over the screen. Anyone know how to completely disable the trackpad or to REALLY get those options to work?

I have a new TiBook867 with 512MB of RAM, everything is stock, except the mouse.

Thanks in advance,
- Daniel
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

ulmer
Dec 1, 2002, 01:03 PM

I've encountered the same problem with my old iBook and would like to get this feature working on my new powerbook when it arrives early this week!!! :-)

Anyone know more about this feature not working properly??

Thanks,
Brian

DSHwrd  (op)
Dec 1, 2002, 03:15 PM

After searching Apple's own Discussion Boards, I found out that this is a bug with Jaguar. They're supposed to know about it, and have known about it since at least 10.2.1, but have yet to fix it. Hopefully they'll fix it with the next OS update (10.2.3?).

Cheers,
- Daniel

kinokeith
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 09:56 PM

I have a Ti800 with a MS Intellimouse 1.1 USB Compatible. I'm running 10.2.2.
"Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" definitely works. Mouse plugged in, trackpad off. Pull mouse out, trackpad works.

azark
Dec 2, 2002, 10:18 PM

They both didn't work in 10.2.1 on my Ti550. They worked in 10.2.2 on Ti-Ghz for some time, but now only "Disable Trackpad when mouse is present" is working...
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2002, 04:05 AM

I had this problem too, ever since I installed Jaguar right on up to 10.2.2... actually, the trackpad disabling features worked once or twice immediately after the install, but after a couple of restarts the feature was AWOL...

I ended up doing a clean install to fix the problem (and to fix a serious problem with DVD playing, but that's another thread, dawg), and everything works fine.

I suspected that the trackpad problem had something to do with upgrading using the �Archive and Install� option, or with the logitech mouse driver that was installed (or possibly some combination of the two), but I can't know for sure. now that it's fixed, I don't worry about it anymore.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

DSHwrd  (op)
Dec 3, 2002, 08:56 PM

So a re-install is the only fix for the problem? No good. I've already re-installed OS X on this machine, about 2 weeks ago. I did it to fix a bug with slow menu response on the batter (turns out it was a Xounds bug). Anyways, I never 'noticed' this bug until a few days ago. I have both options checked off and I can put my finger on the trackpad, while an external mouse is plugged in, and the mouse will follow my finger.

Not going to re-install... just not going to do it! Maybe deleting the preferences for the mouse will fix it? I'll find out.

Cheers,
- Daniel

tobster
Senior User
Dec 3, 2002, 11:21 PM

Works fine for me. With Apple's pro mouse, M$'s intellimouse and a non branded usb mouse.

PowerBook 667 DVI, Jaguar.

- tobs

azark
Dec 4, 2002, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by himself:

I suspected that the trackpad problem had something to do with upgrading using the �Archive and Install� option, or with the logitech mouse driver that was installed (or possibly some combination of the two), but I can't know for sure. now that it's fixed, I don't worry about it anymore.
I made a clean install one week ago and I use a Kensington mouse, so...

Hope Apple will fix this soon.
PB 1Ghz 1024 Combo
G4 400 AGP

Yose
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 01:03 AM

I use a kensington optical "elite" *cough*... and I to suffer from the trackpad still being active with an external mouse plugged in and using Kensington's Mouse software.. Maybe thats part of the problem?
Yose.
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 01:36 AM

Ever since I re-installed Jaguar and the subsequent upgrades to 10.2.2, everything has worked... however, I didn't reinstall the Logitech mouse drivers, as I have a sneaky suspicion that the bug may have something to do with third-party mouse drivers... Everyone did send their bug reports to apple, right?
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2002, 03:57 PM

On my Pismo running 10.2.1 (10.2.2 update won't install because there's not enough disk space), "disable when mouse is connected" works, but "disable when typing" doesn't.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules