Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Every program does a "Unexpectedly Quit"

Every program does a "Unexpectedly Quit"
natethelen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 07:46 PM

Installed 10.2

Everything was great

Used Software Update to install all the updates it found:

- Airport
- Stuffit Security
- IE Security
- Can't remember
- Can't remember (I would check but can't open any programs)

Now every single program I try and open (including all of Apple's stuff) does a "unexpectedly quit". Even System Preferences. The finder seems to be the only program I can run.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Dec 4, 2002, 08:05 PM

You didn't restart after installing the updates, did you? That's what tends to happen to me if I don't... go ahead and restart (NOT log out, that will probably make matters worse) and I suspect that'll fix it.

natethelen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 08:11 PM

Nope, I did do a restart. I am very Mac savvy and it is nothing that is going to be obvious like that. I also tried removing each piece of RAM to see if that was a possibility. There seems to be nothing I can do even if there was a fix because I would probably have to open up some sort of application to fix it (even Terminal quits). The thing that really sucks is that my CDROM is busted so I have to take out the hard drive to reinstall the OS.

Nate

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2002, 09:37 PM

I had this happen once. A Shutdown fixed it, whereas a Restart did not. I also waited a while before re-starting. Maybe I was just lucky...

natethelen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:38 PM

Didn't help. I have had similar thoughts. Is there anything like "Starting without extensions"?

RedStarr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:43 PM

With out stating the obvious but did you try fsck -y or Disk utility..?

natethelen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:58 PM

How would I run this without terminal or being able to launch any apps?

indigo
Dec 4, 2002, 10:05 PM

You know, I had this exact same problem on one of my Pismos immediately after I installed the latest AOL software. The system was a brand new installation of 10.2.2 with all software updates applied. Once I installed AOL, all subsequent applications would quit unexpectedly. I removed all traces of AOL from my system and full functionality returned.

I've since reinstalled AOL and it seems to be working ok for the time being. We'll see how it all goes.....

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2002, 10:55 PM

Corrupt fonts are a common cause of this. Drag your fonts folder in your Home directory to the desktop, Log out, and then log back in again (OSX will create a new fonts folder in your home directory with the default fonts), then try opening your apps again.

Corrupt Preferences also could be a cause.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2002, 12:18 AM

Originally posted by natethelen:
How would I run this without terminal or being able to launch any apps?
Hold down command+s at startup, and you'll drop into single-user mode. Once you get a prompt, type:

/sbin/fsck -y

If, after it runs, it says "filesystem has been modified," do it again. to exit, simply type "exit"

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules