Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB667 DVI owners...generally happy?

PB667 DVI owners...generally happy?
satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 12:43 PM

Apart from the fact that it's not a 1gHz model, have you PB667 DVI been satisfied with the build quality?

Are there glaring problems with this particular model that I should be aware of? Yes, it may peel paint (touch wood it doesn't), but isn't it also one of the quietest models released?

thanks in advance

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2002, 01:01 PM

I sure have loved mine...not a single problem and no peeling paint here (knock on wood)...it's been my desktop machine for months and don't see the use in upgrading still for awhile. IT's GREAT! And yes, mine is virtually quiet at all times...the fan never really kicks on, and when it does...it's only for a few minutes.

euphras
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 02:57 PM

Same here. I could quote gorickey...

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

shiff
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 03:17 PM

I too have the 667 dvi and think it is wonderful. It never sits on my desk. I have it in the bag out of the bag, travelling all over with it and no paint chips or anything like that. I have never even heard my fan kick on.

I am purchasing another one since they can be found for awesome prices for refurbs. I would recommend this to anyone.

iBookUser
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 04:38 PM

I picked my refurb 667 DVI up the end of September and absolutely love it. I have a PM G4 533 that basically sits, plays MP3's, and runs F@H. Haven't used it for a serious work in months. Should probably sell it soon...

Anyway, it's a great machine. My fan comes on now and then, but only when I'm doing heavy PS stuff. Surfing, email, word processing, it never comes on.

It's a great machine, and at the prices now, a great deal.

(should probably change my user name now )

Robe
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2002, 05:32 PM

My 667 DVI is a great machine - about 6 months old. I just got the 17" apple display and it is like a whole new computer!!!!! I use it as a desktop computer mostly, but for the 1-2 times per month that I need it off site, it is great that it is portable. With EyeTV or iTunes going constantly during my regular work AND the LID CLOSED, I hardly hear the fan.

Robe

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 05:46 PM

Mine gets an A+ from me.

PeteWK

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 07:04 PM

i bought my used about 3 weeks ago. When it sleeps it makes a high pitch whine, its kinda loud. other than that, i love the machine, the paint is chipping on the back but i dont really care. But then i used fcp recently and i noticed how "slow" it is hehe.
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 08:20 PM

With refurbs available direct from Apple for $1699, this has to be one of the best notebook values out there.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2002, 05:46 AM

Originally posted by satchmo:

Are there glaring problems with this particular model that I should be aware of? Yes, it may peel paint (touch wood it doesn't), but isn't it also one of the quietest models released?

thanks in advance
What do you guys mean that it may peel paint when it touches wood?

I have an 800, but it is the same generation...

PowerBook667
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2002, 10:36 AM

I picked up my 667 from a friend about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. First laptop for me and was actually thinking of getting a new 14inch iBook but for $100 more, couldn't pass up this sweet deal!

ae86_16v, when they say "knock on wood" or "touch wood", they don't mean that the paint literally chips when it hits wood..it is an old saying that you "knock on wood" for luck. Not sure the origin of it.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by PowerBook667:
I picked up my 667 from a friend about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it. First laptop for me and was actually thinking of getting a new 14inch iBook but for $100 more, couldn't pass up this sweet deal!

ae86_16v, when they say "knock on wood" or "touch wood", they don't mean that the paint literally chips when it hits wood..it is an old saying that you "knock on wood" for luck. Not sure the origin of it.
Yeah I heard of "Knock on Wood" but I never heard of anything say "Touch Wood".

Anyways...thanks for the classification

Maybe it is just because I am in Cali

Forum Links
Forum Rules