Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Sean yepez and the fan bug

Sean yepez and the fan bug
hippy
Banned
Dec 4, 2002, 06:42 PM

Sean,

do you have any further concrete information regarding your magic 6th December date? I have a pb 1ghz sd and reckon the fan is intentionally on esp whilst power is supplied through the AC adapter.

one09jason
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2002, 11:13 PM

Here, here Sean. You seem to have supplied the only sugestion of a cause of the problem. Any more details? How does your PB run?

hippy  (op)
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 03:15 AM

yes come on Mr yepez... spill the beans... or are you realising thats the way apple intended the PB to be cooled?

after all, as you said tomorrow is the big change day ! leaving us all with donkey powerbooks!

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by one09jason:
Here, here Sean. You seem to have supplied the only sugestion of a cause of the problem. Any more details? How does your PB run?
First of all, he's posted this info only a couple hundred times. How many more times do you want it?

Second, if you bothered to read any of it, you would know that he is still waiting for his.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 09:25 AM

Can you ppl obsess any more? How many times does this need to be covered?

For the record, I have a GigaBook and the second fan kicks on only after a long while of extended use, then shuts off within a few minutes. No big deal at all.

If you think you're going to get a dead silent PB, think again. This is a relatively powerful computer and it generates heat. Get used to it.

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2002, 12:11 PM

all i can say is that in the past the info that sean has is solid and that you should view this as an asset to the board.

rather than gangin up on him to drag stuff out of him, after all your computer comes from apple not sean.

that said, use it for an advantage of why you come to macNN.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:

For the record, I have a GigaBook and the second fan kicks on only after a long while of extended use, then shuts off within a few minutes. No big deal at all.

If you think you're going to get a dead silent PB, think again. This is a relatively powerful computer and it generates heat. Get used to it.
At this point, my 3rd day with my TiSD, I, as you report also, haven't found any of the "glitches" reported - "hairdryer fan" or "green DVD lines."

But just because you and I (and, in fact, most people) haven't had these faulty Ti's doesn't mean that others haven't found that their $3,000 purchase has yielded one! These people aren't asking for a "dead silent PB," they're reporting unusually loud fan glitches, something that Apple has recognized and changed in production! If you don't want to read these particular threads, then don't! But don't sit back and chastise people trying to find answers for their computer problems here on these forums - that's what the forums are for!

iBorg

hippy  (op)
Banned
Dec 5, 2002, 06:08 PM

hello sean....

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 01:47 AM

Can I get an AMEN!
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2002, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by hippy:
hello sean....
Hi. In other posts, I've said all that I know. I don't know exactly what causes it besides an electronics fault of some sort, and I surely don't know how to fix it.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 04:55 AM

if anyone of you doesnt like their loud GigaBook then, i will gladly trade my girlfriend's very silent 800 DVI for yours ...
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2002, 08:06 AM

I don't know... I think the people complaining of noise have a problem with their computer and a valid complaint. My TiGz is very quiet most of the time with it's normal fan, and just a little noisy with the very rare fan. I don't think they should shut up and take it at all. These computers are expensive.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 10:33 AM

Once again I see people with no problems calling us with problems whiners and we should stop complain and be happy about it.

But honestly, would YOU be happy if YOUR Powerbook was running the fan 24/7 without ever stopping to give your ears a tad of silence??

I've done everything possible to try to sort this out.

I have done this:

- Set the CPU to Reduced speed in Energy Saver.
- Reset the Power Manager.
- Zapped the PRAM.
- Run Hardware test CD that came with the computer.
- Run Disk Utilities (both disk and files) from OS X CD that came with the computer.
- Turned off Airport.
- Run on battery as much as possible (have a backup battery) instead of AC.

And you know what, with every thing done, the fan still is running all the time. It NEVER shuts OFF, it NEVER slows down or becomes less loud. It's the same annoying sound the whole time.

Imagine an external LaCie harddrive with a fan... that's the noise I have in my ears ALL THE TIME and it's not a few meters away, it's just some decimeters away from my ears.

Can we say Tinitus??

So guys, be happy your machines are working perfectly and the fan only turns on once in a while. But PLEASE respect others that has this problem and WANT IT SOLVED!

Geeesh... I'm upset now!

/Petra

dajay
Dec 6, 2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by CyberPet:
So guys, be happy your machines are working perfectly and the fan only turns on once in a while. But PLEASE respect others that has this problem and WANT IT SOLVED!
Hmm, my fan runs all the time, but it isn't really noisy. More like the sound of the hd in my iBook 600.

Is it supposed to shut off completly?

Btw, when I installed my AirPort card, I took a look at the fans. At least the one on the right is made by Sunon, they have a good reputation with pc overclockers. Maybe Apple used different fans during production??

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 11:01 AM

I have personally seen with my Gigabook that if I place it ontop of the bed, or a surface where no air can get under it, the fans tend to come on early and for longer... but when I prop it up so there is air getting under it, or place it on a hard surface, it rarely comes on.... unless I play a 3D game like Startrek or Max Paine, they use a lot of power and also cause the fan(s) to run frequently.

Hope that helps...

Bottom line guys, would you rather the fans kick on too often or not enough and fry that $3000 box of chips?

Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 11:07 AM

I've got a CoolPad that I've got the Powerbook sitting on to be sure I can have it on my lap and yet have enough air under the computer (even better than having it sitting on a desk).

The fan is never slowing down, turning off or in any way shuts up.

I wish I had a dB meter so I could messure the noise, but it sounds just like the fan on my External LaCie Firewire drive (160 GB). And it's loud!
/Petra

hippy  (op)
Banned
Dec 6, 2002, 11:19 AM

What kinda FW drive. Like this ?
http://www.tweakers.com.au/articles/...0fw/action.jpg

??

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 01:21 PM

Once again I see people with no problems calling us with problems whiners and we should stop complain and be happy about it.

But honestly, would YOU be happy if YOUR Powerbook was running the fan 24/7 without ever stopping to give your ears a tad of silence?? .....

..... So guys, be happy your machines are working perfectly and the fan only turns on once in a while. But PLEASE respect others that has this problem and WANT IT SOLVED!

Geeesh... I'm upset now!

I agree 100%! My TiSD doesn't have this problem (I'm pretty sure), but I still read these "loud fan" threads to learn more about the problem, and what can help, also to see what Apple will do for those of you with this "glitch," which sounds quite annoying!

And I've said it before - for those who repeatedly post their ridiculous complaints about these "loud fan" threads continuing - stay away from them and leave these people alone if you have nothing constructive to add!!! Just sit back and post your little flames to the "MacNN Lounge" threads, and be glad that you're not one of the "unlucky" buyers ......

iBorg

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 01:38 PM

yah its always different when the shoe is on the other foot.

and as iborg said in another thread, this is one of the main reasons for mac forums.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 01:47 PM

Can report that I've just gotten off the phone with Apple Support. They are going to take in the computer for repair ASAP.

Because I have a voice handicap they are also arranging with a machine (667 MHz) that I can borrow while my machine is in for repair (it's not in my city). That's very nice of Apple and I'm very happy it was so easily solved.

Just hope this will be fixed!

I'll report back in a few weeks when I've gotten my unit back, until then I'll be following these discussions for more clues.

Oh, has anyone seen a weird thing in the Process Viewer? Cuz I found this little thing popup that was all garbled, had no real name, user was blank and everything (take a look at the screen shot).

Check the Process Viewer!

(sorry for the Swedish, but you'll probably guess what it means)

Could it be a clue when it takes up more percent than 100%? Even if it was only for about 20 seconds??
/Petra

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by iBorg:

But just because you and I (and, in fact, most people) haven't had these faulty Ti's doesn't mean that others haven't found that their $3,000 purchase has yielded one! These people aren't asking for a "dead silent PB," they're reporting unusually loud fan glitches, something that Apple has recognized and changed in production! If you don't want to read these particular threads, then don't! But don't sit back and chastise people trying to find answers for their computer problems here on these forums - that's what the forums are for!

iBorg
You must not have read my post at all.

This has been covered roughly seven jillion times. I'm not saying one bit it's not a credible issue -- it is. But it has been covered ad nauseum, and that's my point.

How about YOU not chastising ME when you misunderstood my post entirely.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 03:06 PM

But honestly, would YOU be happy if YOUR Powerbook was running the fan 24/7 without ever stopping to give your ears a tad of silence??

I've done everything possible to try to sort this out.

I have done this:

- Set the CPU to Reduced speed in Energy Saver.
- Reset the Power Manager.
- Zapped the PRAM.
- Run Hardware test CD that came with the computer.
- Run Disk Utilities (both disk and files) from OS X CD that came with the computer.
- Turned off Airport.
- Run on battery as much as possible (have a backup battery) instead of AC.

And you know what, with every thing done, the fan still is running all the time. It NEVER shuts OFF, it NEVER slows down or becomes less loud. It's the same annoying sound the whole time.

Imagine an external LaCie harddrive with a fan... that's the noise I have in my ears ALL THE TIME and it's not a few meters away, it's just some decimeters away from my ears.

Can we say Tinitus??

Geeesh... I'm upset now!

MY. GOD.

Nobody is calling you a whiner. What people ARE telling is that THIS HAS BEEN COVERED BY SEAN YEPEZ SEVERAL DOZEN TIMES BEFORE. It IS a valid issue. It would be annoying. I would be upset. Starting new threads about a tired, well-covered topic, however, will NOT yield new answers. If Sean had a relevant update for the community here, I'm sure he would say something.

Next time, before you decide to sit down at your keyboard for a rant session, READ the post you are ranting about. COMPREHEND what it's saying. Then, once you've done that, POST if you still feel it's necessary.

READ - COMPREHEND - POST.

happykreg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 04:38 PM

you know, as long as my new machine is fast, works hard for me and makes me more money, i could give a sh!t if its noisy!! just let it do it's job and make life easier for me. noisy or not.
Peace be with you.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2002, 05:28 PM

PoisonTooth, who pee'd in your morning coffee?

Geeesh, just because it's been discussed once it doesnt mean it'll go away.

More and more people are getting their new TiBooks and more and more reports will come in. Does that make the problem less important? No. Does it mean these people has no right to find out what's going on and if there's any solutions? No.

So why the attitude towards me for being worried, pissed off, because *I* spent aprox $4,000 USD for my computer since it's a heck of alot more expensive here in Sweden.

I think I have the RIGHT to be angry and upset without you trying to be some sort of forum police.

And yeah, it does suck if someone claims to have some solution that never shows up. Heck, I spoke to a guy the other day that said he knew that Apple would post a firmware update for this.

Well, when calling the Apple Support they said "it has to be repaired".

I think that's interesting news for everyone with the problem since it might not work with just a firmware update. And the longer this is going on the larger risk there is that the computer is getting damaged for real (I know, I had to fight a faulty Wallstreet that burnt up so I think I know how to fight this "fan"-battle).

Sooo... conclusion on my side of the pond is: GET THE POWERBOOK REPAIRED or replaced, instead of waiting for some miracle cure that *might* come from Apple in whatever timeframe... or ever. The PowerBook is not going to get better with a fan running constantly on high effect 24/7.

OK?!
/Petra

CBoldman
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2002, 06:09 PM

I agree with CyberPet. Somtimes, somepeople (i hate to steroytype) think that it is a persons fault for posting somthing on the board that they allready know about. Sure if the whole front page was the same post it would suck, but come on, its not. Just beacsue there is a post dosent mean somebody has to reply or even read it in the first place. Thats my 2 cents.

mjlukich
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2002, 07:33 PM

CyberPet & CBoldman: Agreed; this forum could use an injection of civility.

workerbee
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2002, 07:50 PM

Oh, has anyone seen a weird thing in the Process Viewer? Cuz I found this little thing popup that was all garbled, had no real name, user was blank and everything (take a look at the screen shot).

Check the Process Viewer!
276% ?!? No wonder your fan is going strong all the time... you must have at least 3 CPUs in there

If this is any consolation to you, I just checked Process Listing on my Ti800, and while I do not get any 200%+ CPU, Total CPU Time in Statistics varies between "09PM", "1jan70", "10PM"
and "12:39am".
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

Forum Links
Forum Rules