Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mirroriing ibooks and imacs

mirroriing ibooks and imacs
stilltron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2002, 10:59 AM

i think the answer to this question is 'no', but i thought i'd throw this out to some of the experts:

is it possible to mirror your 12" ibook screen with your 17" imac? a friend has a12" ibook and the screen is pretty small. i was wondering if it would be possible to use his 17" screen on his imac as a video dock (of sorts).

any input would be appreciated

thanks!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2002, 06:14 PM

You are right, the answer to this question is: No, there is absolutely no way to do that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 1, 2002, 11:28 PM

On the contrary D'Espice, you can absolutely use any Firewire equipped desktop as a docking station for a firewire equipped portable.

Simbly buy a firewire cable. Turn the iBook off and restart holding down the "T" key. Connect the machines. This will start the iBook in target mode and mount it as an additional hard drive. Run all of the iBook apps and use its data with all of the iMac peripherals.

I do this each day with my iBook which is an easy way to keep my data up to date.

K
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2002, 11:54 PM

webb3201, you are absolutely correct. I too do this daily, as I update data from sales reports to my 17" iMac. I don't often run programs from the iBook, on the iMac, but it does indeed work.

Also, make sure you eject the mounted iBook hard drive before unplugging the FireWire cable; then shut down the iBook, otherwise you may lose data!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

stilltron  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2002, 02:48 AM

Thanks for the input, all! The firewire thing is a pretty creative solution. I'm going to give it a shot on my friend's setup.

Thanks for the quick responses!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2002, 04:54 AM

FYI, I've read somewhere that there's some kind of haxor to enable spanning for iBooks. You might wanna search for it I think it was xlr8yourmac.com
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 13, 2002, 02:49 PM

So does this mean you can use the FP iMac as your monitor when using the iBook -- in effective giving you a 15" iBook?

I guess no one has found a way to span the desktop between the iBook and FP iMac.
That would be ideal especially since my iMac has that repositionable arm to align with an iBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules