Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > TiBook purchase dilemma: 800 vs. 867. Help!

TiBook purchase dilemma: 800 vs. 867. Help!
arainert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 11:24 AM

I've been debating this for weeks and can't figure out if the 2099 price for a refurb 800 is a good deal or a not so good deal when I can get an 867 with similar RAM + airport card for about 2450.

Is the difference worth the moeny? I started with the idea of getting a maxed-out iBook but then realized the screen is too small. So then the TiBook 800 seemed like the logical choice but for a few more hundred bucks the 867 seemed attractive.

So I'm presently caught in the Apple vortex of self-imposed upselling and want to make a decision before I lose my mind.

I'm a student so money is an issue. I also have a dual gig g4 at home and just wanted something mobile to complement it but not replace it.

Thanks so much,
:a
www.monoki.com

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 12:39 PM

Just my opinion, but I think having a TiBook AND a dual 1GHz Power Mac is overkill - especially for a student having to watch his money. (well, can't be all bad if you are even considering adding another computer to the dual)

I've always thought that if you have just one computer, and you want it portable, you're better off with a TiBook. iBooks make a great secondary computer. You'll obviously want this for portability - and the iBook is tough to beat for that.

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 01:05 PM

I just had the same problem and went with the 800mhz to save a little money. It comes with 512mb ram and airport card built in so you don't need that and it's almost equivalent to the 867mhz version, except the Graphics card. Either of them will give you superb performance. Besides, you already have a great machine at home.

You should be able to get a NEW 800mhz for around $2000. I'd stay away from refurbished ones at that price.

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by pete:

You should be able to get a NEW 800mhz for around $2000. I'd stay away from refurbished ones at that price.
I'd agree and go for the 800. I think it's more than enough for many professionals, let alone a student. I think many of us get caught up with the mHz numbers game, and having the latest and greatest. When in reality, many of the past stuff still works fine (heck, I'm typing this on a lowly G4/400 PowerMac).

But I'm not sure where you can find a new one for that cheap. Can you be specific, Pete?

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 01:21 PM

I disagree. If you shop around, for $2350 or so you can get the 867 with the Airport card and 512 MB of RAM. For $350, you get a unit that is new (not refurbished), you get a bit faster processing, you get a considerably better graphics card (very helpful if you want to run OS X or newer games), you get a better battery and power adapter (grounded -- the DVI revisions weren't), and you get a cooler machine (my Ghz PB is much cooler than my 667 DVI was).

I doubt $350 is going to break the bank. I'd go for the 867.

arainert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was hesitant about the G3 because all the software I run might really benefit from the g4 - Flash, Photoshop, Iluustrator, Director, Reason, Digital Performer, etc...

Now part of me is considering selling the desktop and going full-on laptop. I can't do that though. Or can I?

argh.

www.monoki.com

judysmoh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 02:33 PM

I would say get the 867. I just bought the 867 last week from my school's computer store for $2069. The retail price is 2299, so I got more than 200 dollars off. If you're a college student, you might want to check the apple store or your school's computer store for a discount. The 867 not only has a better graphics card but also supposedly better paint reformulation, i.e. less horrific paint chips. It also still boots into os 9.2 and includes os 10.2 (jaguar). So far, I haven't had any problems in the week that I've had my new powerbook other than the fact that I can't stop playing with it :-P.

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 02:52 PM

Everybody seems to be saying that the paint quality is better on the new ones. Has there been confirmation on this? I looked at it in the store and based on my experience with maybe 5-6 powerbook G4s they look exactly the same !

300 dollars is not a lot of difference but ask yourself WHY....if you really need that graphics chip then go for the 867, otherwise why throw the money away just to get the latest.

If it's a question of new vs. refurbished, I'd definitely go for the new one and pay more though.

good luck!

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 03:03 PM

Everybody seems to be saying that the paint quality is better on the new ones. Has there been confirmation on this? I looked at it in the store and based on my experience with maybe 5-6 powerbook G4s they look exactly the same !

300 dollars is not a lot of difference but ask yourself WHY....if you really need that graphics chip then go for the 867, otherwise why throw the money away just to get the latest.

If it's a question of new vs. refurbished, I'd definitely go for the new one and pay more though.

good luck!
Two things:
(1) Refurb 867s are available for $2000 at MacConnection.com
(2) Paint: tough to tell. I've owned the last three generations. I have a 550 and my 1Ghz side by side now.

arainert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 03:49 PM

I see a refurb 667 there but no 867 - is that what you meant?

Thanks,

www.monoki.com

Biggerfoot
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2002, 03:53 PM

My new 800mhz just came today. I had the same problem on which way to go as noted in another post. I got this one for $1750 out the door due to a mistake on the sellers part. I could not pass up the dollar difference compared to the 867 with the same RAM and Airport. I am an ABD Ph.D. student so I also get the edu deals and am tight on money. I have a G4 QuickSilver as my main machine but needed a stable OS X PowerBook for presenations and on the road research.

I am moving up from a Lombard so this, of course, blows my older one away.

The $2000 refurb deal for the 867mhz probably does not come with the free RAM or Airport cards like the others do?
( Last edited by Biggerfoot; Dec 16, 2002 at 04:04 PM. )

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by arainert:
I see a refurb 667 there but no 867 - is that what you meant?

Thanks,

No -- www.powerbookcentral.com had the story a little while ago...but they now say the item is gone. Oh well! Sorry...

arainert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 04:31 PM

Smalldog and Apple have refurb 800's with 512 MB Ram and an Airport card for 2099. Ends up being abour 400 less than the 867 with the same config.

www.monoki.com

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 04:44 PM

Smalldog and Apple have refurb 800's with 512 MB Ram and an Airport card for 2099. Ends up being abour 400 less than the 867 with the same config.

Not quite. If you shop around, you can get a NEW 867 with 512MB of RAM and an Aiport card for $2350 or so, making the cost difference only $250.

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2002, 06:18 PM

plus shipping.....

arainert  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2002, 06:23 PM

Any ideas on where I might find it at this price? Oris it just a matter of catching one of the usual suspects at precisely the right moment?

www.monoki.com

satchmo
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2002, 06:44 PM

It's always about getting the latest and greatest. It's just ingrained into our psyche.
But seriously think about what you could use that extra $250-$300. Perhaps a refurbished iPod from Apple at $199?

If your needs don't require that horsepower, why get it? Just in case you need it? We keep telling ourselves that but more often than not, you never get to that point.

Kind of like..."I'd get a FP iMac if only it had some PCI slots"
I've owned countless G4 Towers and Macintosh II series machines and have only used one PCI in about 20 years.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 06:45 PM

plus shipping.....
no, $2350 shipped

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2002, 06:51 PM

Any ideas on where I might find it at this price? Oris it just a matter of catching one of the usual suspects at precisely the right moment?

www.clubmac.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules