Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is 10.2.3 really 51MB? (I'm on 10.2.2.)

Is 10.2.3 really 51MB? (I'm on 10.2.2.)
DSHwrd
Dec 20, 2002, 07:16 PM

I'm confused. Apple says that the update from 10.2.2 to 10.2.3 is 51MB... Yet, for me, the unfinished update to 10.2.3 is 80MB... This doesn't seem right at all. The file was cancelled once when my modem hung up (I'm on 56k) and it restarted from the place it left off when I relaunched Software Update. But why is the file size 30MB bigger than Apple advertises (note, I'm not done with the download either, I gave up when it got to 80MB. It still had another 1/4 of the download to go... grr). Anyone ever experience this before? Should I just trash the old file and restart the download hoping that it will only download 51MB instead of 100+... I'm on 56k and this is killing me... Help.

Cheers,
- Daniel

P.S. Finding the actual file that Software Update downloads was easy using the Find command. Just searched for 10.2.3. And I watched the file size go from 54MB to 80MB...
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

rytc
Senior User
Dec 20, 2002, 07:36 PM

Displays as 51MB for me, perhaps you should download it as a seperate installer rather than through Software Update, or through software update but select to download it as a separate installer. Damm I've confused myself, seperate installer....

IamBob
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 12:24 PM

In Software Update...
Update -> Download Checked Items to Desktop

I'm on dial-up too and it downloaded just fine. 51.2MB when it was done.

I have 2 machines sharing the dial-up so I always Download to Desktop so I can install on both machines without having to redownload everything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules