Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Second CRT monitor hot-pluggable on PB? and brightness concern.

Second CRT monitor hot-pluggable on PB? and brightness concern.
dadder
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2002, 08:41 PM

I am new to my new Ti PowerBook and am wondering if my 17" CRT (as a second monitor) is hot-pluggable in the back of my PowerBook? The screws on the adapter that came with the PB do not seem to engage with the PB and the adapter has fallen off a few times with the monitor on.
Also, on a side note, my PB display seems abnormally bright even with the brightness turned way down, about a half inch from the far left. Is this normal? Coming from using a CRT all the time, maybe I'm just not used to it. It seems I have to have the screen positiioned way backward to view with some decent contrast.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2002, 11:58 PM

the powerbook display needs to be replaced. Bug apple enough and they should happily do it.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2002, 12:26 AM

I think you may be jumping the gun there a bit, Mac Zealot. I think we might want to hear a little bit more about the situation before concluding that the screen is faulty. For one thing, when you say the screen is bright, do you mean washed-out? You mention lack of contrast, which doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with a bright screen (in fact, most would consider brightness to be a good thing). Have you tried calibrating the monitor? Go under the monitor control panel and adjust the colors.

I'm not sure why the cord for you monitor won't screw in place. The screws are in different places than the ones on the powerbook itself?

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2002, 01:19 AM

The external monitor is perfectly hot-plug from my experiance.

plug the monitor in, in the display menu (in the top right) select "detect displays" a second set of resolution options will then appear in the dropdown menu, select the one you want.

when you disconnect do a "detect displays" again so that the PB knows that the monitor has been removed

JoelStoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2002, 06:16 PM

My new Ti-Gig crashes when it goes to sleep with an external CRT monitor. Anyone else have this problem. Anyone know if the just released 10.2.3 fixes this?
Joel Stoner

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2002, 06:34 PM

Joel Stoner the problem you describe doesn't apply on my machine. A667DVI powerbook.Maybe it's something else that's causing the crash. You might want to check it out.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I think you may be jumping the gun there a bit, Mac Zealot. I think we might want to hear a little bit more about the situation before concluding that the screen is faulty. For one thing, when you say the screen is bright, do you mean washed-out? You mention lack of contrast, which doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with a bright screen (in fact, most would consider brightness to be a good thing). Have you tried calibrating the monitor? Go under the monitor control panel and adjust the colors.

I'm not sure why the cord for you monitor won't screw in place. The screws are in different places than the ones on the powerbook itself?
Your right, I should explain a bit. When I say 'bright', I mean to say that unless I tilt my screen at a 45� angle back, the grey texture lines in apple's background design (windows backgrounds) are lost and the grey outlines on most windows fade back quite a bit (take for instance the 'displays' window itself in Jaguar). I will say, I'm not used to viewing my screen at an angle (since I'm used to a CRT), so it's become a habit to try to 'straighten up' my PB screen. I'll add that I get fine contrast when brightness is turned up high. I guess I'm wondering if there is a 'zone' that I need to find between the way I sit at my PB and the angle the screen must need to be to get decent contrast, color and that weird 'burn out' look that seems to appear when I have my screen tilted to far straight up and down.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by ngrundy:
The external monitor is perfectly hot-plug from my experiance.

plug the monitor in, in the display menu (in the top right) select "detect displays" a second set of resolution options will then appear in the dropdown menu, select the one you want.

when you disconnect do a "detect displays" again so that the PB knows that the monitor has been removed
Yes. So far I don't appear to be encountering any problems. It seems to be engrained in my mind that something bad will happen when that adapter unplugs.
However, to expand on your other point, even after I select 'Detect displays' with my second monitor shut off, when I run my mouse beyond the right side of the screen on the PB, I have to work to get it back. It doesn't 'hit a wall'. It seems to keep going beyond the edge of the PB and into the mysteriously missing monitor.

dadder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2002, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by JoelStoner:
My new Ti-Gig crashes when it goes to sleep with an external CRT monitor. Anyone else have this problem. Anyone know if the just released 10.2.3 fixes this?
You may want to try shutting of your 'Power Save' feature on your monitor.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2002, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by dadder:

Your right, I should explain a bit. When I say 'bright', I mean to say that unless I tilt my screen at a 45� angle back, the grey texture lines in apple's background design (windows backgrounds) are lost and the grey outlines on most windows fade back quite a bit (take for instance the 'displays' window itself in Jaguar). I will say, I'm not used to viewing my screen at an angle (since I'm used to a CRT), so it's become a habit to try to 'straighten up' my PB screen. I'll add that I get fine contrast when brightness is turned up high. I guess I'm wondering if there is a 'zone' that I need to find between the way I sit at my PB and the angle the screen must need to be to get decent contrast, color and that weird 'burn out' look that seems to appear when I have my screen tilted to far straight up and down.
With my pismo, you can't see the pinstriping and so forth at all. Everything seems washed outcompared to a decent screen. I'm sure that the new Tibooks are much better than that but maybe what you are experiencing is just the difference between a portable LCD and a desktop CRT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules