Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes Sucks

iTunes Sucks
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 09:49 PM

Maybe it doesn't happen with people who only have a few CD's ripped, but I've got about 30 GB of mp3's. When I'm trying to organize them with iTunes, I get a 10-second spinning beach ball every 30 seconds or so when deleting files or editing ID3 tags. While scrolling or making playlists, it's just generally laggy overally. What gives? Do I have too much music?

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 10:10 PM

I don't have nearly that many (approx. 5GB), but it might be a problem for all I know. Have you tried any other MP3 applications like Audion?

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 10:14 PM

I used Mint Audio for a while, but it was crashy. Other than that, no. I'm trying to stick with iTunes, as my 20 GB iPod is on it's way here ;-P

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Dec 22, 2002, 10:20 PM

I don't get it. If you don't like it then don't use it. What's the point of complaining? I mean, it's FREE. You could always go BUY an MP3 player.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 10:26 PM

Well..hmm..it's not that I don't like it (sorta contradicts with my topic, but)... I was wondering if anyone has had the same problem and found a solution. :-/

parkds
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 10:43 PM

I have over 33GB of music I manage and play through iTunes. I don't have an issue of constantly getting the spinning beach ball though. Things seem responsive enough. Sorry. What machine are you on? I am on a DP 1ghz mirror door.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 10:47 PM

lol, that might be it. I'm on a dual 500 g4, 512 ram, running 10.2.3

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
.... Do I have too much music?
I think so. You have WAY too much music. I only have 3.4gigs of .mp3's and I feel like I can't even listen to most of it. And I listen to it almost 8 hours a day at work. Just get one good album and stick with it.... I recommend David Bowie - Scary Monsters, Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here, Pixies - Debaser, or even The Human League - Dare. Any one of those should see you though the next 30 years, and then you can free up all that hard drive space! :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 12:00 AM

I've got so much music that putting it on Shuffle is like having my own radio station :-P I never know what's coming. Often, I've never even heard a song before, lol. I'm an mp3 addict.

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2002, 12:28 AM

The trick is not to let iTunes organize your music. Keep them organized yourself and it will run much faster. Also, keeping the sound check function off as well as the sound enhancer will free up some processor usage.

At my office, we have over 18,000 songs (over 50 days of music!) on a external firewire drive, while running a smart playlist that is set to never repeat a song for a month.

It runs on a dual 500 with not too many spinning beach balls, even though others in the office are sharing the music over the network. The library file itself is over 20 MB.

Hope this helps.

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by ccrider:
The trick is not to let iTunes organize your music. Keep them organized yourself and it will run much faster.

Also, keeping the sound check function off as well as the sound enhancer will free up some processor usage.
That's how mine's already set up :-/ Maybe because I'm booting off the same drive?

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 12:53 AM

The size of your library really shouldn't matter...I have over 25 GB and have no problems editting ID3 tags. I do it all on an iBook 600 with 640 MB of RAM with the library stored on an external Firewire HD. I also have iTunes organize my library for me, and experience no slow-down when editting ID3 tags.

Try re-creating your library. First, delete iTunes, the preferences, and the library files. Download iTunes 3 from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download , install it, then drag your MP3s to it.

See if that helps. It never hurts to start fresh.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 12:57 AM

How can I do that and keep my playlists? Also - not all my MP3's are in my Library. I'd like to keep it that way, as well.

krove
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by macgyvr64:
How can I do that and keep my playlists? Also - not all my MP3's are in my Library. I'd like to keep it that way, as well.
Ok, after deleting iTunes, delete all the preferences and library files EXCEPT iTunes Music Library.xml. Reinstall iTunes, and launch it. Go to the File menu and choose Import... and select the iTunes Music Library.xml file. Make sure you haven't moved any of your MP3s and all should work fine.

[edit] I must add that I have never tried importing the library via this new xml file. It should work as advertised, however.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 01:08 AM

What's the problem? I un about 15 GB on a Bondi Blue iMac (233 MHz, 160 KB RAM, 10.2.3) with Soundsticks attached, as my major music supplier. I never hear songs the same day, I hear songs I've hardly ever heard before, I love to guess what band is playing now and then.
No problem whatsoever with the Mac, but trying to work on other programs while iTunes is running: ok, that's something else.

Don't feel bad about that amount of music: while Napster have been around, Limewire is around; just copying all my legal bought cd's I have at home cover about 15 GB, and still haven't MP3'ed all my legal bought cd's. It works just great, and I love to listen to it all!

About your problem: get enough RAM, see that there is enough free space on your Mac OS X.x.x-partition (needed for virtual memory when RAM is loaded 100%) and run Disk Utility (inside Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility) and run repair permissions.
Diskwarrior seem to be able of fixing OS X-problems, but check their website for real coverage.
( Last edited by Appleman; Dec 23, 2002 at 01:13 AM. )

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2002, 01:30 AM

Hmm, I ought to mention that I get the same problem when connected to my G4 via FileSharing and playing my mp3's with iTunes that way.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 12:07 PM

I found iTunes to lag when Browsing when I tried to put all my online MP3s into its Library. This is on a G4/400 640M RAM (though now I have 1G).
My solution was to not put everything in the Library. I only put everything in once to take this picture:

It's possible that you just need to rebuild the Library. I dunno.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 12:12 PM

How do you rebuild the library?

El Pre$idente
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 12:21 PM

You're not allowed to complain. Some of these people will tell you that you are free to abandon the Mac and use a Windoze machine if you want. And don't get angry if they say that. You're not allowed to express anger either.

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
You're not allowed to complain. Some of these people will tell you that you are free to abandon the Mac and use a Windoze machine if you want. And don't get angry if they say that. You're not allowed to express anger either.
Grow up!!!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

El Pre$idente
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by JLL:

Grow up!!!
Yes, Mr. Ashcroft.

Forum Links
Forum Rules