Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can't find iDVD

Can't find iDVD
Preciousss
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2002, 10:36 PM

This is driving me crazy, I wiped my hard disk and reinstalled everything (minus the extraneous printer drivers and language files) onto my Superbook this morning and now I can't find iDVD anywhere.

I'm not even sure if it was there before I reinstalled since I didn't look for it before.

It's definitely not hiding out anywhere on my hard drive--I've looked everywhere using several different methods: software list in System Profiler, the search function in the Finder window, the Find command in the Finder . . . I even went through an aborted reinstall process again to see if it showed up as a checkbox that I forgot to select.

The software install and restore DVD that came with the computer is X.2.1.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
"I wheeled with the stars.
My heart broke free on the open sky."
- Pablo Neruda

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2002, 12:18 AM

I think iDVD is only installed if you do a restore of the software that comes with the powerbook -- not if you just do a reinstall of OS X. You may be able to extract it using a utility called Pacifist.

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 01:38 AM

This is not well documented, but it is actually very easy to re-install iDVD2 from the restore dvd. The OS X installer does not install iDVD2-you must install it separately later. After installing OS X, reboot (from your hard drive) and re-insert the restore dvd. Click on "Install OS 9 and Applications". This actually is also how you install the optional OS X applications like iDVD2. The icon should really read "Install OS 9, and Applications for OS 9 and OS X" but I guess that's a little long.

Click the customize button in the installer, and it will let you select which packages to install. Just uncheck everything other than iDVD2, unless you want to install some of the other stuff such as OS9 and other iApps. There is no need to do a complete restore to install iDVD2-since in your specific case you already have OS X installed, just insert the software DVD and click on "Install OS 9 and Applications" etc.

Preciousss  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I think iDVD is only installed if you do a restore of the software that comes with the powerbook -- not if you just do a reinstall of OS X. You may be able to extract it using a utility called Pacifist.
Hmmm, I was hoping it would be something much simpler like: I got the wrong software/restore DVD--the one for non-superdrive PBs that would not have iDVD included.

A friend who was here last night confirmed that iDVD was present last night before I reinstalled. I remember now, it was.

I figure I can call Apple tomorrow to ask that they send the proper disc. I'd like to have it on hand so that whenever I need to do the same thing again, I have all the software that I should.

I'm wondering about your suggestion: when I went through the reinstall process again (just to see which apps were specified), all of the iApps appeared with the exception of iDVD. But I'll look into what you recommeded.

Thanks,
- Pablo Neruda

Preciousss  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 01:46 AM

Originally posted by jmp998:
Click on "Install OS 9 and Applications". This actually is also how you install the optional OS X applications like iDVD2. The icon should really read "Install OS 9, and Applications for OS 9 and OS X" but I guess that's a little long.

Click the customize button in the installer, and it will let you select which packages to install.
Hey, that makes sense. I did try that earlier but the Customize button is greyed out. I looked but couldn't find a way to make it available.
- Pablo Neruda

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by Preciousss:
Hey, that makes sense. I did try that earlier but the Customize button is greyed out. I looked but couldn't find a way to make it available.

There is one more step that the above poster kinda glossed over. You have to first install the OS9 and Apps installer (which takes about one second), that's the one with the greyed out customize button. Then the actual installer will open by itself and you can then choose what you want to install. Just try it! It works a lot easier than it sounds or looks!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Preciousss  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mrtew:
There is one more step that the above poster kinda glossed over. You have to first install the OS9 and Apps installer (which takes about one second), that's the one with the greyed out customize button. Then the actual installer will open by itself and you can then choose what you want to install. Just try it! It works a lot easier than it sounds or looks!
Heh, I'm happy to say that I figured this out after I posted that last night. Whoo-hoo!

I went through the iDVD tutorial afterwards--this is so cool! Can't wait to actually start using it.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.
- Pablo Neruda

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2002, 06:02 PM

This is a tangent, but I couldn't resist: Preciousss, I LOVE your handle!!!!!!!!!!
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules