Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best Christmas gift ever!!!

Best Christmas gift ever!!!
wingdo
Senior User
Dec 24, 2002, 11:08 PM

Around here we always exchange Christmas gifts on Christmas eve as it is also my wife's birthday. My wife always gets me great stuff (nice clothes I'd never buy, or a CD / DVD I want), but she never gets me electronics / computer stuff because I'm so picky. So she caught me totally off guard this year when my very last present was a 10GB iPod!!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!! I'd never have spent the money on one for myself and she knew it.

Anyway, what did you get which you didn't expect??
( Last edited by wingdo; Dec 26, 2002 at 05:42 PM. )
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

v0id7
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 11:10 PM

i open presents xmas morning...but dont worry ill keep you posted.
_______void_______

cheerios
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 12:04 AM

gift certificates. lots of em. Mom told people to give me certificates, 'cuz then I can't buy groceries or pay bills w/ em. I'm slightly annoyed by this, but looking forward to the barnes and noble and Best buy shopping sprees that shall commense in the near future.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2002, 12:23 AM

My girlfriend got me an iPod too. It's the coolest gift ever. Like you, I never would have bought one, although I have wanted one since the day they came out.
Nemo me impune lacesset

milf
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2002, 04:47 PM

To the iPod owners:

I am thinking about getting the 10GB iPod and I notice it talking about being able to download your iCal and Address book. That is an awesome feature, but are you able to edit these files on the iPod and then refresh the copy on the computer? It's nice to carry it around at all times, but if I get some new information, I'd like to be able to punch it in to my iPod as opposed to jotting it down on paper.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday everyone!
Just my $.02 :-)
Ti Powerbook 1Ghz w/ Superdrive ......and lovin' it! :)

v0id7
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 05:05 PM

my sister and i both got 5gb ipods
_______void_______

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 25, 2002, 06:06 PM

I got a pen.

Vanquish
Dec 25, 2002, 06:09 PM

I got a Maybach !

(a 1/18 scale-model that is )

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
I got a pen.
Mont Blanc or Bic???

Vanquish
Dec 25, 2002, 06:12 PM

Don't underestimate the power of Bic�

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 06:17 PM

My most unexpected gift was the complete 600 piece Lego Hogwarts.

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2002, 06:24 PM

im gonna be spending time with my GF for 2 wks when she arrives tonite. darn good gift i would say.
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 06:37 PM

Ah, GameCube haven.

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2002, 08:57 PM

I got the best gift of all! My daughter made a 12-month wall calendar, with each picture page showing one or two pics of family members holding my five month old grandson! She printed it at work on a color laser, so it should be relatively permanent! I received lots of nice material stuff, some of it very expensive to the people who bought it, and I don't want to diminish that, but the calendar was the best!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Dec 25, 2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by wingdo:
Mont Blanc or Bic???

Bic.

macrob1n
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2002, 09:03 PM

I got a Simpsons chess set - Homer as the king with a robe, sceptre and a can of duff!
iMac DV+, G4 800 iMac
xbox live tag - DeathBoB

suhail
Senior User
Dec 25, 2002, 09:21 PM

So wait a minute�
All you guys got this cool stuff from your wifes, girl-friends etc.
Then you immediately run back to your Macs, like little nerds, leave your wives behind, and post stuff on the Web??

Many of you are going to end-up alone shortly!

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2002, 09:21 PM

a rudolph blinky nose thingy. it's cool.

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 09:27 PM

lol. These people are used to it. VERY Used to it.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 25, 2002, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by milf:
To the iPod owners:

I am thinking about getting the 10GB iPod and I notice it talking about being able to download your iCal and Address book. That is an awesome feature, but are you able to edit these files on the iPod and then refresh the copy on the computer? It's nice to carry it around at all times, but if I get some new information, I'd like to be able to punch it in to my iPod as opposed to jotting it down on paper.

Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday everyone!
You jack-ass. My girl friend read your post, and now feels horrible because she thinks that the ultra-cool 5 gig iPod she got me is "skimpy". Tell her you're sorry!

Originally posted by suhail:
So wait a minute�
Then you immediately run back to your Macs, like little nerds, leave your wives behind, and post stuff on the Web??

I was at the time of my post, and am now at the time of this post, working. Some of us do that, as much as we would like to be loving up our better halfs for the great gifts we received.

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
lol. These people are used to it. VERY Used to it.
Is that a fact Mr. 2100-posts-in-less-than-a-year? If you don't stop that, you'll go blind...

Hope you all had a great holiday. Peace
Nemo me impune lacesset

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2002, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
Bic.
Dude, PaperMate all the way.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 26, 2002, 12:08 AM

two words: Impact Wrench

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 12:58 AM

Originally posted by suhail:
So wait a minute�

I don't have a wife or girlfriend at the moment; I got all the goodies from family, who are grown and on their own. I'm already alone, and, for right now, I like it that way! Besides, I went out with a hooker last week and she told me, "Not on the first date!"
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Sarc
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 01:29 AM

was kinda a xmas joke,
my brother is into wines, big time, so I bought him a bottle of the finest worst wine I could find (cost me around 50 US Cents), wraped it into a nice paper, then got into a box of a very high class vineyard with straw and everything inside, and wrapped that one too.

So he opens the first wrapper in fron of the entire family and sees the expensive box and starts stalking with a huge smile how good the wine was and the opens it just to find the crappy bottle ...

we laughed at him like an entire minute or so

btw. I got him another box with a nice wine as well ...
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

suhail
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Besides, I went out with a hooker last week and she told me, "Not on the first date!"

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I got the best gift of all! My daughter made a 12-month wall calendar, with each picture page showing one or two pics of family members holding my five month old grandson! She printed it at work on a color laser, so it should be relatively permanent! I received lots of nice material stuff, some of it very expensive to the people who bought it, and I don't want to diminish that, but the calendar was the best!
I think you got an EXCELLENT gift, the gift of LOVE. Sounds like we should all be this lucky. It's who we are and what we do to impact others that matter. I like material stuff too, but my family will only be here on Earth once. So I'm learning to cherish that. My relationship with my family is far from perfect, but I'm making little efforts each day to change that.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2002, 02:16 AM

I was lucky enough to get sapphire earings.

As for my husband, I asked him 3 months ago what he wanted for xmas, wrote them down and got them. As usual he forgot and was happy on xmas day. He is now playing Gran Turismo 3.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 02:50 AM

Didn't get shiAt, but that's the arrangement my family and I have. Instead of spending hundreds on gifts for everyone we just save it and get ourselves something we really want. Or use it for everyday stuff like bills. I'm considering getting a DVD player next month and some choice movies for it. I did get a fruit basket from some woman at work (who got everyone something) that was totally unexpected.

Oh yeah, I also got blind stinking drunk 'Stinks because I gotta get ready for work in like 4 hrs. I worked Christmas eve almost a full day. The holiday felt so short I'm already looking forward to the weekend.

Is it friggin' Friday yet?

MikeM

dav
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by milf:
To the iPod owners:

are you able to edit these files on the iPod and then refresh the copy on the computer?
sorry, can't input or edit the content on the ipod itself - must update the info on the mac in it's respective software locations.
one post closer to five stars

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Dec 26, 2002, 01:45 PM

I knew I was getting Soundsticks from my partner, and had to look at the box for well over a week before I was allowed to use them yesterday... Now they are up and running they are way better that I'd ever imagined!

My partner and her Mother had also clubbed together and bought me a radio control car - it was a total surprise and it's really cheered me up!

So nice to get something unexpectedly, something that people dear to you have really thought about and know you'll enjoy - they know what I big kid I am.

It's really nice to know that there is more to Christmas than just plain old crass commercial exploitation...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2002, 02:44 PM

I have been dating the woman I am seeing for less than a month now. But she remembered on our first date, while ice skating, that I had wanted to get The Clash's "London Calling" CD and that is what she got me. I got her a mini Bodum coffee press--The 12 oz. Brazil model for those of you who care; I am a tea man myself. She likes to camp and backpack and travel and this would be the perfect size for her as she already has the full-size industrial-strength model for when she **really** needs to wake up.

BTW, she is way, w a y, W-A-Y cool. I just feel really lucky to be dating her. I am jealous of all of you with your significant others who are so special to you. I would like to think I could be this way with her someday.

Happy Boxing Day!!!

<edited for typo>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

hayesk
Dec 26, 2002, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Timo:
My most unexpected gift was the complete 600 piece Lego Hogwarts.
Cool! I got the Hogwarts Express! I've always wanted a Lego train.

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
Dec 26, 2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
You jack-ass. My girl friend read your post, and now feels horrible because she thinks that the ultra-cool 5 gig iPod she got me is "skimpy". Tell her you're sorry!
While your reply wasn't directed to my post, I will certainly tell your girlfriend I'm sorry. Any iPod my wife would have gotten me would have been greatly appreciated.

If it makes her feel any better, the Mrs. and I started dating in 1980. Think of it as an extra 225MB per year.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 26, 2002, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by wingdo:
While your reply wasn't directed to my post, I will certainly tell your girlfriend I'm sorry. Any iPod my wife would have gotten me would have been greatly appreciated.

If it makes her feel any better, the Mrs. and I started dating in 1980. Think of it as an extra 225MB per year.
I should have thrown a smiley in there. She did feel bad, but I reassured her that I love my iPod very much, so all is well.
Nemo me impune lacesset

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2002, 11:21 PM

My parents bought me a Lego Bionicle toy, which is that absolute last thing I'd ever expect from them, so that was pretty damn cool.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

hayesk
Dec 27, 2002, 01:25 AM

My fiancee bought me a 10 pound Toblerone chocolate bar! The thing is huge!!! It's almost 3 feet long!

I'm going to need a detailed battle plan to eat this thing. There will have to be much sharing involved.

DaKiwi2788
Senior User
Dec 27, 2002, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by hayesk:
My fiancee bought me a 10 pound Toblerone chocolate bar! The thing is huge!!! It's almost 3 feet long!

I'm going to need a detailed battle plan to eat this thing. There will have to be much sharing involved.
I saw a special about those on TV the other day. They say that is the normal amount of chocolate one person eats in an entire year.

As for me, I got my brother the Hogwarts Castle. We have been working on it. It's really cool. He is 11 and just adores Harry Potter. Toys R Us used to have a Harry Potter head lego display, but it can't be bought, only won. I wanted to get him that for his birthday. If anyone knows where to find one, let me know.

I just got lots of warm clothes to take to school from my parents, and the most wonderful messsenger bag I have been wanting from Justin.
-Emily

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
Abraham Lincoln

fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2002, 06:24 PM

Canon S230 Digital Elph. Pretty damn cool.
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

nbnz
Senior User
Dec 27, 2002, 06:37 PM

I got a Sony DSC-U20 2MP digital camera, it's freakin small, it makes my SonyEricsson T68i look big. Very cool. Plus some shirts and smellies. My girlfriend rules !

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
Dec 27, 2002, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by nbnz:
I got a Sony DSC-U20 2MP digital camera, it's freakin small, it makes my SonyEricsson T68i look big. Very cool. Plus some shirts and smellies. My girlfriend rules !
Please translate "smellies" into North American English.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2002, 10:35 PM

A Karaoke Singing Machine
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2002, 05:10 PM

The best gift ever is the one that I haven't got yet!

Forum Links
Forum Rules