Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is there a Graphics Card and Processor upgrade for iMac DV+ 400mhz?

Is there a Graphics Card and Processor upgrade for iMac DV+ 400mhz?
Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2002, 07:32 PM

Hi there I have a slot loading iMac DV+ 400mhz in orange and was wondering if I can upgrade these two things for my iMac. Maybe bump my 400 up to 750 or even a gig?

I would also bump my graphics card up a lot of notches and get a really sweet one for it. But I have yet to find either of these things. There is even a processor upgrade for my silly old power center pro computer and it gets a faster speed than my iMac now, even though it has like a one gig hard drive.

So if anyone could help me out with this. That would be greatly appreciated!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2002, 07:56 PM

I believe you're screwed.

joe
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 08:07 PM

Sorry to inform you that the answer is no for both. The 1st gen iMacs have several processor upgrades and at least one video upgrade (Voodoo2-OS9 only). Sadly, the slot load iMacs have none - ditto the new flat panel iMacs and eMacs. That's one of the reasons I sold my iMacDV SE and bought a G4 Cube. The Cube has both processor and video card upgrades. Mine is currently a 1GHz/GeForce3 Cube. But since Apple discontinued the Cube, the only Mac left with processor and video slots is the G4 Tower. Hopefully, Apple will offer some sort of Cube replacement that is both compact and has processor/video upgrade options. I'd be happy if it was just a high end e/iMac. But I really like the minimalist form factor of the Cube as well as the ability to use whatever monitor I want (3 so far)......joe

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2002, 08:13 PM

What is the reason for the lack of availability of video card upgrades for the iMac DV (Slot load) series?

Is it lack of market, or is it that the processor is soldered to the mainboard or somesuch reason?

mikerally
Senior User
Dec 28, 2002, 08:23 PM

Nope, can't upgrade the Graphics card, period.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2002, 08:29 PM

Sorry you are out of luck. And about the graphics chip...that sucka is soldered on. Thats too bad because I upgraded my bondi iMac a lot.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 28, 2002, 08:29 PM

Is it lack of market, or is it that the processor is soldered to the mainboard or somesuch reason?
The graphics card is soldered in. I suppose some brave soul has attempted a replacement, but it would take nerves, skill, and a bit of luck... The iMac was never designed to be upgradeable. I consider them 'disposable'.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by mikerally:
Nope, can't upgrade the Graphics card, period.
Shrink your sig please.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Forum Links
Forum Rules