Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > VerbatimDVD+RW/R

VerbatimDVD+RW/R
josntme
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 08:37 AM

Went to OfficeMax to buy the Cendyne DVD/RW on sale and they substituted a Verbatim Mdl. VBTDVRW1A.

I can't find any specs on this other than what is on the box, and it doesn't say what the drive is. (Pioneer, or what ever) Did a search and no site seems to have any specs. Its made by Cendyne.

Anyone know about this DVD+RW/R and will it work in a firewire case with a Mac?

Thanks
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

asidrane
Jan 4, 2003, 12:49 PM

I had no luck with a Verbatim DVD+R/RW drive. +R/RW is not very well supported on the mac right now. YOur best bet is going with a DVD-R/RW drive. Also check teh drive compatability repost on xlr8yormac.com they have a whole host of posts there

jamerican
Jan 4, 2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by josntme:
Went to OfficeMax to buy the Cendyne DVD/RW on sale and they substituted a Verbatim Mdl. VBTDVRW1A.

I can't find any specs on this other than what is on the box, and it doesn't say what the drive is. (Pioneer, or what ever) Did a search and no site seems to have any specs. Its made by Cendyne.

Thanks
I have an Ikebana DVD+RW/+R (RicohMP5125A) on my mac and it works beautifully with Toast Titanium. If you have Toast, check the Roxio site to see if the drive is supported by Toast.
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

tr
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by josntme:

Thanks
if it's a cendyne DVD-RW drive, then it is the same as the Pioneer DVR-A0x drives, or the superdrive. a quick look at the cendyne site ( http://www.cendyne.com/products.asp?cat=DVD-RW ) will show that they only make DVD-RW drives, and they are just Pioneer mechanisms.

the substituted drive is this:

http://www.v-pgi.com/hardwaredvd+rw.html

which is not compatible natively with iDVD (if the drive was on the IDE bus), but it should work with toast. this is a DVD+RW/R drive, so you will have to use +RW/R media, as opposed toe -RW/R media (like the superdrive, pioneer, cendyne).

you had trouble finding this information? i just went to the cendyne and verbatim sites, i mean, you already had the verbatim model number...

personally, i'd rather have the cendyne, or pioneer, just for the native support (i.e. iDVD, discburner, iTunes). but it doesn't really matter, as you want to put it in a firewire case, so you'll probably just use toast.

tr

josntme  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2003, 06:53 PM

Well I went to a different OfficeMax and they had the DVR 105 that I wanted. I bought it and am returning the Verbatin.

Thanks all, for the info.
You do not really understand something unless you can explain
it to your grandmother."
- Albert Einstein

Forum Links
Forum Rules