Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New Powerbooks?

New Powerbooks?
Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 6, 2003, 10:08 PM

Possible new 12" and 17" models...rumors from MacRumors.

Click me

So little info makes me doubt this, but it is on the main page...

Just think with the rate the current superdrive powerbooks are selling, its possible...two months...still doubtful.

What do ya'll think? B.S.?
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2003, 10:24 PM

Page now is "undergoing maintenence." D'ya think Apple Legal got to them?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2003, 10:36 PM

Hmm, AppleInsider is also down at the moment. Coincidence?

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2003, 10:58 PM

wouldn't the 12''version cut into the ibook sales? I just dont see the marketing behind a move like that. Unless Apple dropped the ibook line and created only two versions of the ti-book.

I think its bullshit. But I have to hand it to apple on this expo they have been VERY hush hush about products this time around.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:16 PM

who would want to lug around a 17" screen? I call bullshiat.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
who would want to lug around a 17" screen? I call bullshiat.
people said the same thing about a 15.2" screen when the original Ti came out

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 6, 2003, 11:34 PM

Actually, sitting here staring at my 17" LCD desktop monitor, I think they probably could fit it into a reasonably sized laptop if it were thin enough and with a small enough bezel. Not that I think they would really release one.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

A 17" PowerBook would go limp! They are too flimsy.

skyman
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Over Achiever:

Click me

Just think with the rate the current superdrive powerbooks are selling, its possible...two months...still doubtful.

To be honest, the PISMO was the best form factor for a Powerbook. The current Ti is to big and fragile.

The PERFECT PowerBook would have the exterior of the 14" iBook with the internals of the 1GHz G4 Ti PowerBook. That would be PERFECTION!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by tkmd:
wouldn't the 12''version cut into the ibook sales? I just dont see the marketing behind a move like that. Unless Apple dropped the ibook line and created only two versions of the ti-book.

I think its bullshit. But I have to hand it to apple on this expo they have been VERY hush hush about products this time around.
There is no way they'd do it. The iBook is a great seller. One of the two would not sell. If they were close in price, the iBook wouldn't sell. If the PowerBook was too high, it wouldn't sell.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2003, 11:55 PM

Ok, let's say that 12" laptop/PowerBook "is" coming out. It would fill a void in the small business/frequent business travelers market. People who travel often and who do presentations. The current Powerbook w/ it's 15.2" screens are a little too much to fit on a small seat or fold-out table on the plane. These folks demand something small and fast. So "IF" the 12" Powerbook is coming out, I can certainly see a market that welcomes it.

Now as for the 17", it just seems to me that unless Apple does something to the casing, it might be too flimsy to carry around. But who's to say that this 17" model might not be something else, say a tablet model with vertical positioning.

AGAIN, ALL RUMORS. But it's still fun to be talking about it though, until tomorrow. As of this posting, we have 13 more hours to go until the Keynote address tomorrow (9AM PST). WooHoo!

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2003, 12:01 AM

nah. cant see that happening.

even tho a small tibook would be cool.

l�k
iron sharpens iron

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 12:06 AM

If there is I will scream and be forced to kill a few people. My $3,000 PowerBook G4 will be here tomorrow morning around noon, during the keynote.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 12:09 AM

ahaahahaaaaa, that's too funny, I hope we get a new PB just so I can read your post MW reaction!
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2003, 12:23 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
If there is I will scream and be forced to kill a few people. My $3,000 PowerBook G4 will be here tomorrow morning around noon, during the keynote.
Wait until after the keynote before you open the box.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 12:29 AM

This sounds crazy. The PowerMac line needs an update more than the PowerBook.

17" lcd on a laptop is entirely too large, IMHO. Thats not portable! The idea of a 12" PowerBook and iBook seems very unlikely. Apple doesn't want to confuse its customers with too many choices.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 12:58 AM

Yeah, right. Send me $4K in cash and I'll sell you a 17" PowerBook. We're running a pre-release special on them today bundled with a piece of sunny beach-front property down in Florida.

The real question people should be asking is whether Eug really thinks dog meat is tasty.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 01:22 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:

17" lcd on a laptop is entirely too large, IMHO. Thats not portable! The idea of a 12" PowerBook and iBook seems very unlikely. Apple doesn't want to confuse its customers with too many choices.
A 17" Ti would be a heck of a lot more portable than a tower! How about a 12" G4 TiBook and a 12" G3 iBook. They'd each have their market. I think it's a great idea.

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
This sounds crazy. The PowerMac line needs an update more than the PowerBook.

I agree!

17" PowerBook would be so big that it becomes less practical to carry around (especially when you have to get through airport security nowadays...)

12" PowerBook would be very confusing to consumer for marketing reasons... how would Apple differieniate 14" iBook and 14" PowerBook in terms of features. The catch is, a standard configuration of 14" iBook cost US$1599, and a 15" PowerBook with basic configuration cost US$2299. The "gap" is too small to "fit" another laptop...

Also, I cannot see you can have 5 different configurations for the complete PowerBook line-up, it's jsut like what happened to Apple's line-up back in the mid-90's.

If Apple wants a small PowerBook, you should make one with 10" or smaller screen (to complete with those Sony's tiny laptop).

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 03:09 AM

I'd buy a 17" PowerBook the day they hit stores. I think there is a large number of people that use their notebooks at a desk 75%+ of the time - I'm one of them. A 17" with 1GHz processor and an external 17", would make one hell of a desktop and has the advantage of being able to pick it up and run when you need to.

Is there a viable market for this, I don't know. However, I do know more and more people are using laptops as "desktops" so...

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 03:29 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
I'd buy a 17" PowerBook the day they hit stores. I think there is a large number of people that use their notebooks at a desk 75%+ of the time - I'm one of them. A 17" with 1GHz processor and an external 17", would make one hell of a desktop and has the advantage of being able to pick it up and run when you need to.

Is there a viable market for this, I don't know. However, I do know more and more people are using laptops as "desktops" so...
True, but I would think Apple and other laptop manufacturers are pushing those kind of people to get an extra LCD monitor (that's one of the reason why Apple run the PowerBook + Apple display promotion, right?)

How much would Apple charge for an 17" version of PowerBook (let's assume Apple will release one in MWSF)? The price difference of 12" and 14" iBook currently is US$300. So I would think the price difference between 15" and 17" PowerBook would be, say, US$500.

Currentl top of the range PowerBook is about US$3000. So, is Apple going to see a 17" PowerBook for $3500? How big demand will there be?? I guess Apple can make more profits by selling a price dropped 17" Studio display to PowerBook users instead!

veryniceguy2002
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by Over Achiever:

Click me

With all those rumours floating around for the last two weeks or so, somehow I think most of them are untrue... It seems Apple might have delibratly leaking different rumours information to selective people who are not Apple employees (I guess Apple employees would have sweat to secretacy, and they would not dare to leak for the protection of their jobs...), and then Apple can check out who leaked Apple's internal information...

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 05:29 AM

God, I just posted a new thread on this... need sleep.

12" and 17" PowerBooks tomorrow. Both with SuperDrives.

New case. New material. 2 USB 2.0 ports. 2 FireWire 2.0 ports. Faster Airport.

It'll be surfing the web with a new browser. That's all.

And you thought the 800 MHz owners got mad at their units taking a nosedive....

I'm as close to 100% as I could be on this. Anyone with a current PowerBook on order better cancel the thing!!!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 05:33 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Whatever you do, do not accept that shipment. You will have to kill yourself afterwards.

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 05:42 AM

murbot,

As cool-headed you've appeared in my short time on this forum, and as good a job as you've been doing at chasing down eBay scammers, I just have trouble buying this prediction. Do you base this on real documentation or other info that you can at least give us a clue about? Or, is it simply stirring up emotions based on the rumours flying about the 'net? Hope this isn't a case of somebody putting something questionable in the Winnipeg water supply...

k2director
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 05:51 AM

This rumor flies in the face of all reason.

Let's get real. What is it about the eve before a Macworld Expo that brings out all the lunatic fantasies and conspiracy theories??

17" Powerbooks, only 2 months after a big update. Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

Sales are still strong on the Gig models. Apple stores have had trouble keeping them in stock. Why do all the R&D and marketing, only to start over 2 months later, when you can still sell plenty of the existing models?

I just can't believe it.
Of course, I'll be quite happy if it's true, and will have to buy the big one asap, but it won't happen.

Realistically, I'm looking forward to an Apple digital video recorder ala Tivo that can use Rendeyvous and Airport G to serve any computer, and later television, in your house (tvs that support rendeyvous, that is), and can easily be programmed ala any Mac...

MarkusYamamoto
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2003, 07:08 AM

OK, Maybe if Apple does introduce a 17" Powerbook, the size probably came about so they can have a big enough trackpad that would double as a small tablet input area and trackpad for their Inkwell technology so, instead of having an expensive touchscreen, they just make a bigger tabletpad. If they don't? They should.

And maybe while we are speculating, a dual hard drive option so you have some storage for the FCP editing or, dual battery option since the Superdrive might take a while to burn a DVD or, a Dual processor (Plug in AC outlet only) desktop replacement Powerbook.

All this is purely speculative and should be taken as speculative speculation.

Markus

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 07:29 AM

Originally posted by MarkusYamamoto:

And maybe while we are speculating, a dual hard drive option so you have some storage for the FCP editing or, dual battery option since the Superdrive might take a while to burn a DVD or, a Dual processor (Plug in AC outlet only) desktop replacement Powerbook.
Hey... sure why not... Its about time Apple started selling laptops in the $6000 - $7000 range again.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by veryniceguy2002:

How much would Apple charge for an 17" version of PowerBook (let's assume Apple will release one in MWSF)? The price difference of 12" and 14" iBook currently is US$300. So I would think the price difference between 15" and 17" PowerBook would be, say, US$500.

Currentl top of the range PowerBook is about US$3000. So, is Apple going to see a 17" PowerBook for $3500? How big demand will there be?? I guess Apple can make more profits by selling a price dropped 17" Studio display to PowerBook users instead!
The 14" iBook is a non product. It has no features to justify $300 (unless you are near blind or have oversized hands). Just pretend it isn't there. The iBook is $1299, and the PowerBook is $2299. Plenty of room for something in the middle.

Doesn't matter either way. They wouldn't do it.

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 10:28 AM

I know this rumor is flying around everywhere, and it sounds crazy, but I've been told by someone I trust completely. This person has given me the heads up on a few things now and saved me a few bucks by letting me unload hardware in time for shows.

I will be shocked if this doesn't happen.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by murbot:
I know this rumor is flying around everywhere, and it sounds crazy, but I've been told by someone I trust completely. This person has given me the heads up on a few things now and saved me a few bucks by letting me unload hardware in time for shows.

Did your source mention whether the 15" would remain in the lineup?

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 10:35 AM

Apparently it's getting the boot.

Seems like a nice size to hang onto, but maybe they don't want too many different models? Not sure.

urrl5201
Jan 7, 2003, 10:49 AM

I don't care if they make the screen 18". If the new Ti does not have a new skin that doesn't flake at the edges then I will not buy it. I have bought two new Ti's which developed the same problem of paint leprosy. I want my next machine to work good while it looks good.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 10:57 AM

Apparently it's getting the boot.

Seems like a nice size to hang onto, but maybe they don't want too many different models? Not sure.
Well, here's hoping. Maybe the 17" could come in at $3000, pushing the 15" down below $2000. That would make my day.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 11:18 AM

Wow, the excitement. The waiting. The all-nighter and no sleeping, waiting-for-keynote-must-not-pass-out-stayup-all night-anticipation! Ooohhhhhhhh.....

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 11:34 AM

Well, only 90 minutes before the big Steve takes the stage; and then another 2 hours until he gets around to that, "Oh, I forgot one last thing...".

As interesting as the notion may be, I still can't believe this rumour. But murbot, we'll know how trustworthy your friend and source is soon enough.

Digressing, I find it humoursome that some time after macrumors.com reported
We'd received word which was corroborated by other sources that tomorrow will bring a 12" UltraPortable PowerBook and 17" PowerBook
they added an escape hatch:
(Warning: Some doubt has been introduced. Again, we'll see...)

thegelding
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2003, 11:42 AM

a new 12" PB would fit nicely here:
here

g

steph9900
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2003, 12:01 PM

@thegelding: cool pic,...

Just to add to the speculation: I just bought my Ti - and past experience tells me Apple upgrades everyting I buy within a matter of weeks,...

Of course this time things could be different,...

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 12:07 PM

What is in that picture besides the iPods? They look like closed iBooks under glass but the ports are in the wrong place.

With less than an hour to go my eyes and brain could be playing tricks on me.

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 12:09 PM

damn ....g. Those are the display cases Macrumors was talking about. Hmmmm looks like a spot for the new dvpod or tablet. Nah...time will only tell. 45min to go.

I like this one better.

thegelding
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2003, 12:10 PM

i think those are just acrylic stands that will hold something later...i think a new 12" laptop would fit nicely there....it is slanted, but not enough, nor with a groove to hold, a tablet....just my thoughts....g

the link was sent from a friend up north....will let him or her say who....

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 12:13 PM

Or stands that held 12" iBooks before. No clues I can see in the photo as to when it was snapped.

That said, and as little as I believe the rumours, a 12" companion to the TiBook rates a little higher on the scale of possibility than a 17" beastie. And I'll be just as happy if the big Steve proves me wrong on all fronts...

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2003, 12:15 PM

Those pics are from the CompUSA that is near the Moscone Center.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2003, 12:32 PM

The footprint on those looks shallow, as if for something widescreen, but not exceedingly large, almost like a sony picturebook would drop onto it perfectly.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2003, 12:41 PM

Whether it's going to happen or not doesn't really matter to me, but a 17" apple laptop sounds reasonable. If sony and dell can make laptops with 16.1" screens, surely apple can make a 17" widescreen (i think a 17" screen at 4:3 ratio would be too deep). A 17" screen at a widescreen ratio would probably round off to 14"-15" wide, and 8"-10" tall depending on it's enclosure. Compared to the 13.4 x 9.5 tibook, it isn't a big difference. For video editors and motion graphics designers this laptop would be a godsend (second coming, next to the tibook).. if they could keep it at around 6 pounds, and 1 - 1.5" thick, i'd buy one as long as there's a high resolution to match the large real estate (unlike the 14" ibook). They would definitely have to introduce a new enclosure as the tibook enclosure is too flimsy, or at the very least, introduce a new hinge system which puts less or evenly distributes the stress and force of opening the laptop over a greater surface area.

In any case, we'll find out soon enough. 1/2 hour and counting.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Jan 7, 2003, 12:46 PM

To be honest, i like the ibook enclosure more than the tibook one. I like the added sense of durability (although it may not actually be so).

issa
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 02:40 PM

It's real! 17" PowerBook. Amazing!

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2003, 06:10 PM

Well, the USB 2.0 and the 15" getting dropped were off, but still...

Pretty sweet, I just ordered myself a 12".

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2003, 06:14 PM

I placed an order for the 12" PB. And when I did I was qouted 1-3 days. I just placed it in my cart just now and it states 2-4 Weeks. Hmmmm.

k2director
Senior User
Jan 7, 2003, 07:39 PM

Congrats, murbot, on the call.

A total shocker.

Forum Links
Forum Rules