Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new iPod

new iPod
dividend
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 09:30 PM

I want to buy the 20 GB iPod, but I think it is a tad too expensive. So why not settle for the 10 GB? Well, 20 GB is nicer

My question is this: does anyone have any good guesttimate as to when Apple will introduce new iPods and what sizes they will of?

I read somewhere that there were avaible either 40 GB or 15 and 30 GB. I would of course be happy with 20 GB for the price of the current 10, or 15 for the price of the current 10. Any good chance it will happen within two months?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2003, 10:43 PM

I think a new one will come out within a couple months.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

imacman11
Jan 16, 2003, 01:51 AM

Yeah... im curious also!

-Q-
Jan 19, 2003, 11:18 PM

I'm sure one will be out before the end of 2003.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by dividend:
I want to buy the 20 GB iPod, but I think it is a tad too expensive. So why not settle for the 10 GB? Well, 20 GB is nicer

My question is this: does anyone have any good guesttimate as to when Apple will introduce new iPods and what sizes they will of?

I read somewhere that there were avaible either 40 GB or 15 and 30 GB. I would of course be happy with 20 GB for the price of the current 10, or 15 for the price of the current 10. Any good chance it will happen within two months?
I don't know if it's still going on, but I got my 20 gig for $369 (academic discount AND a sale)...the same price as the 10 gig...a couple of weeks ago. If you can get it, dig around for some sales from apple academic stores.

Cheers
Scott

sunoxen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2003, 02:11 AM

It makes sense that Apple will be releasing a new iPod within the next couple of months.

Firstly, we know that iTunes 4 will be available soon, as Steve said at Macworld about Library sharing over LAN. He said that it will come out "early" 2003.

Other features could be:

Basic CD cover building, play list printing.
AAC/Quicktime support.
Smarter Playlists.
Integration with possible iPod voice recording feature. (Basic editing, storing.)
XM radio support/timed recording. (USB receiver?)
Basic CD authoring/mixing. (like Jam)

I imagine they will release the new iPod at the same time with full AAC support and voice recording. AAC will be available across the iLife aps immediately. this will be .mp4's coming out party.

I also see them changing the form factor in line wth the new Powerbook Aluminum look. (It will be a lot tougher.)

I really don't see the use for a video iPod, but people might want them.

Hell, they might even include an optional Bluetooth headphones, but I don't see that for awhile.

But I can totally see this happening soon. I would wait on an iPod purchase.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by sunoxen:
It makes sense that Apple will be releasing a new iPod within the next couple of months.
I really don't see the use for a video iPod, but people might want them.
Over at macosrumors.com, they mention prototypes of a couple of DLDs that somehow involve photos and/video and text and/or voice chat.

What could these possibly be? We already have digicams, so why bother with digital picture viewer iPod. And we already have cellphones, so why bother with a text messaging/voice chat iPod.

So, assuming Apple is working on one or more DLDs like the iPod, what are they likely to be?

Forum Links
Forum Rules