Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Kernel Panic - any advice?

Kernel Panic - any advice?
JimboHC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 09:17 AM

Hi all... here's an odd one which I'd be grateful for clues on.

One of the Macs in our home is a TiBook 550 (20Gb HD and 768Mb RAM) running 10.2.3. There are two user accounts plus root enabled on it.

Since upgrading to Jag, one user account (my wife's - just her luck) always produces a kernel panic on log out. The panic appears whether the log out is done through the keyboard or the Apple menu. And it appears whether it is a standard log out or an immediate log out. And because it's happening on log out, we're getting no crash logs to review or send to Apple...

In an effort to resolve the problem (which I suspect maybe preference based), I backed up the User accounts, erased the HD and clean installed Jag. I even used the 10.2.3 Combo update to prevent any problems noted in various forums.

Restored the user accounts from the backup and all apps as before. My user account flies now (way better than before!) and my wife's is good until the log out process.

I've deleted all the com.apple pref files in her user account but this hasn't helped. I've deleted the Cache files in her account, my account and the root account and this hasn't stopped it.

I've repaired the disk permissions (running it in all accounts just to be safe). Run the utility routines via the terminal.

In fact, short of shouting at the OS, I think I've done everything I'm aware of to resolve problems. We're not running any Symantec/Norton products or other apps known to cause probs.

In other words, HELP!!! If anyone has any ideas or advice as to what to do next, I shall be eternally appreciative!

baggie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 09:31 AM

I don't have any real insights at the moment I'm afraid, but I was wondering if your wife has any login items set (more importantly one or more that you don't have set), often these are faceless apps of unix daemons (say MySQL database) and you are not necessarily aware that they are running. Perhaps one of these has a serious problem and causes a kernel panic on logout when the OS tries to quit it? The only things that springs to mind at the moment is a hardware issue, but I assume your wife does not specifically connect hardware when she logs in, that you do not use?

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 09:36 AM

Cheers for the reply baggie.

Unfortunately, none of the things you've suggested are happening. The only login items on her account are the Entourage DB daemon, the Logitech daemon and iTunes helper - same as me. The only hardware she will connect is the Logitech optical mouse but I occasionally use this as well.

Most msyterious... but thanks for trying!

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 09:53 AM

Check apple.com discussions on same subject, there was long thread recently and a lot of people having same problem.

And one more thing: perhaps, one useless piece of **** called edddef*ck from this forum will tell you that the kernel panic is product of your wrong logic. Just tell him shut the
f*ck up.

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 10:03 AM

Thanx to you as well Hash. I've had a look thru the apple.com discussions last night and couldn't see a major thread on a similar problem - any guess as to when it started? I've used search but to no avail.

I've also posted the same question on the discussions there so if any Apple guys come up with a solution I'll be sure to let everyone know!

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 10:16 AM

This one describes similar kernel panics:

here

dspaude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 10:33 AM

We continually get the kernel panics on log-out or login. Each time it happens the kernel log reports that it was related to IOHIDFamily. I've sent over 10 of these reports to Apple. They all started around the time I installed the 10.2.2 update and 10.2.3 has not fixed it.

Have you looked in the /Library/Logs/panic.log file to see what caused the panic? I would be interested in knowing if it mentions IOHIDFamily in yours as well.

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 10:54 AM

Ta for the link Hash - I'll let you guys know if anything from the thread works...

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 12:11 PM

If you could post your logs here, somebody might be able to help...
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

JimboHC  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2003, 12:55 PM

Thanks to all for the advice and suggestions.

Hash's link to the apple.com discussion he mentions is worth a visit. Basically the best bet to solve the problem is to delete the Globalpreferences.plist file from the affected user. It's worked for me so far and I'll let you know if it isn't permanent...

Follow Hash's link - there's over 200 posts on the thread but some are worth the effort!

BTW - Gul Banana - would have loved to have posted logs but the KP was at log out and for some reason, no KP logs, crash logs etc were being created for it... Typical, huh.

Hash
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2003, 01:59 PM

Good Luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules