Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3 Panther features...

10.3 Panther features... (Page 2)
waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 08:23 PM

things i can think of right now:
  • ability to change all system fonts AND sizes
  • ability to switch to an entirely platinum theme, complete with window borders, Charcoal 12, and non-smoothed text
  • ability to customize apple menu like in OS 9
  • a real application menu, like in OS 9
  • ability to put trash on the desktop
  • labels
  • pop up folders
  • windowshade
  • an iChat revision that doesn't make apple look like they can't afford the resources to create a better AIM client than a college student (Adam Iser's Adium)
  • ability to turn off all transparencies, shadows, animations, and font smoothing
  • more control of audio output (individual volume and EQ for each application, and ability to choose the output device for each app individually)
  • safari included, as a SECONDARY browser
  • AOL installer included (if not with OS X at least with new Macs) - this is not for me but I know too many switchers who have complained to me that AOL didn't come pre-installed on their new Macs
  • control-click "set as desktop picture" as a service, most importantly to be used in Safari (another complaint from switchers)
  • classic window-layering feature built into OS (third party solutions are too slow and often screw things up)
i''m sure I'll think of more...

real
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 08:34 PM

Axo1ot1
whats being retarded have to do with anything, Please explain how being retarded makes OSX slower. Just wondering.
REAL
With some loud music + a friend to chat nearby you can get alot done. - but jezz, I'd avoid it if I had the choice---- If only real people came with Alpha Channels.......:)
AIM:xflaer
deinterlaced.com

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
Pantone references in Color Picker
This, I believe, is something that is licensed and would be very expensive for Apple to include. If you want it, buy a professional tool, and don't drag the price up on Panther with $20
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 08:58 PM

Just a heads up, the timed rollback feature the second poster requested will be in future versions of OS X. It's currently codenamed Junkyard and will be on par with the Windows XP rollback feature.

The next version of OS X needs the ability to right click on dock menus. Much like the start menu in windows then i can directly do some of the following "Reveal in Finder, Show Info, Copy, Move" and specific tasks for file types.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 09:01 PM

By the way Babel Voice Text to Speech are NASTY. Apple needs to go with AT&T as they have text to speech that will blow you away. Most of the time you'll think it's a real human!

Check it out here:

http://www.naturalvoices.att.com/demos/

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Aussie John:
I would settle for my computer going to sleep after a certain period of time like it is suppoed to.
NO KIDDING.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:

That thing really is appaling, and it's used by so many pro XP apps (i.e. Flash and Dreamwever). The OSX one is a step down from the OS9 one (which I thought was better than the one in the Adobe apps) But it is the single thing that constantly irritates me in XP at work, the rest of the OS I can sort of get over.
have they actually changed the xp one from 2000? I'll have to haeva look at the os9 one if its better still

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
By the way Babel Voice Text to Speech are NASTY. Apple needs to go with AT&T as they have text to speech that will blow you away. Most of the time you'll think it's a real human!

Check it out here:

Wow, that is a hell of a text to speech system! If Apple could include something like that into OS X I am sure they'd raise a lot of eyebrows.

That speaker is actually good enough for something useful. Like reading the morning news for me while I shave and eat some cereal
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2003, 10:13 PM

I like the idea of better MacinTalk.. I acctually use this feature... it makes my friends laugh and it helps the "personality" of my Mac.

What do I want...?

Uhh... I dono speed mainly... the ability to coustomize my system more... I really don't like having to pay for soo many shareware apps, I'm planning on possibly getting quick keys if I c an't get used to not having my function keys... I REALLY want those Function keys to do something again I use em for all my main appsin 9...
I'd like to be able to coustomize the look of some of the user specific folders, IE home and what not... I just think apple shouldn't be so stuffy on the UI icons they should just be whatever they are on the acctual folder for goodness sake!

Oh and Save dialouge boxes could be better... a GOOD iChat would be good... I have people invite me into chats using iChat becuase it's not coded well to work with AIM 4 or something... but yeah... acctually if they either bought up Adium or just ripped off the gui either way, Adium is ugly to me... but the interface is better... least from what I've seen of iChat...

What else... uhh... over all I'd like to see speed improvements... I'm gona be getting an 867 power book and if OS X.2 hangs on 550 power books... I'm really scared that I won't even be able to get the speed benifit of upgrading as good as I should even on a brand new pro machine...

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2003, 10:27 PM

Well they won't get my $129 only for these kind of improvements. Hopefully they will include at least another iApp to get people to buy it (home automation? DVD/VCD copies? File syncing? Card design/Address printing application?)

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
  • ability to switch to an entirely platinum theme, complete with window borders, Charcoal 12, and non-smoothed text
Hey, I've got an idea - how about we bring back cooperative multitasking, extension conflicts, and the "bomb" errors too?? Time to start living beyond 1997 I'm afraid!

*puts on flame-proof asbestos suit*

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 10:52 PM

Pantone references in Color Picker
This, I believe, is something that is licensed and would be very expensive for Apple to include. If you want it, buy a professional tool, and don't drag the price up on Panther with $20

A package somewhat like the Plus Pack under Windows could handle this. Have Apple have something that includes things like a Pantone picker, a more advanced Open/Save dialog box, and so forth. I'd pay $40 for an upgrade that is more than what most people need. (Well - I don't need the Pantone picker, but I can think of quite a few things that Apple might leave out of the regular version)

I'm planning on possibly getting quick keys

There's a freeware app called Youpi Key which has 9/10 of what Quickkeys does. With the latest version of Applescript, you really do have a LOT of control. (Applescript can now access any GUI item)

Web browsing is more or less a passive activity, the information (content and links) is pre-arranged and limited in the type of interaction with the user--mostly just reading and then following links (leave out Flash, another can of worms).

I don't think that is true. First off most of us have bookmarks arranged in a directory structure of our own making. Secondly more than half my browsing involves Google which is very interactive. One could argue that most people simply use the Finder for finding files and opening them. So the parallels to browsing actually are quite pronounced. The only difference is that the Finder is more spatial in how you search and use it. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to downplay the differences. But they definitely aren't a passive/active difference.

Clock option on login screen
What is this?

I assume just a clock displaying at the login window. I'm not sure that is that useful though. Having some more feedback about your login history and attempted logins is useful. I have that setup to display on most BSD and Linux servers I access.

Log out with save state (like VPC)
This is expected to be there.

What would be better is have two people on simultaneously so that your applications continue to run (albeit slowly).

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2003, 11:29 PM

Faster performance I'm expecting.

Some of the odds and ends people mentioned would be nice. Like sounds.

And even better scrolling performance. It is poo compared to 9 when the scrolling involves anything but text. Browsers, for example, or Photoshop. Pretty much everything.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Faster performance I'm expecting.

Some of the odds and ends people mentioned would be nice. Like sounds.

And even better scrolling performance. It is poo compared to 9 when the scrolling involves anything but text. Browsers, for example, or Photoshop. Pretty much everything.
I really don't understand why this seems to be a challenge for Apple, but I hope that they do *something* to get rid of the choppiness soon.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2003, 11:55 PM

I would also like to scrolling/large file listing/managing improved.

VCD in DVD Player would be an excellent feature.

Pantone Color Picker, I don't know if I would ever use it. Most apps I use have pantone built in already, I've never been: Crap, I can't set this pantone color in bbedit.

I've said this before elsewhere, but I like the idea of global safari bookmarks. Also, it would be nice to have several Apple created themes for the system. I know they want to promote the look of Aqua, but there are so many people that seem to be unhappy with it, that it might be nice to let people play around with it a little. I really like the Themes coming out, but it would be nice if we could have things like window borders, and other little nice things like labels, though I don't use those either.

The Open/Save Dialog is pretty weak, and I've been just using the finder, and dragging files in to the applications, because its just too annoying to not be able to hit the letter of a filename and not go there. Drives me crazy.

I would also like it my icons would stay where they are. Though this seems to have gotten better, every once in a while, stuff moves around. Maybe I'm paranoid.

That ATT text to speech rocked. I'd love to see that level of clarity when using apples text to speech. It's like learning a new dialect as it currently sits. I'm getting to where I can understand it, but its still a lot of work.

State saving at logout would rock.

The back in time feature would also rock.

X11 built in to the system would seriously rock. To the point where you could download the binaries for gimp, double click and just have nice aqua everything. That would be really impressive. I don't know if this is doable. I know nah-theen.

There are some awesome ideas here, and I hope that many of these features make it into the new version. I was happy to pay for Jaguar, (student price) because I felt it had a lot to offer. Lets hope Apple can make us happy to pay for the next version, if that's how it has to be.

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2003, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
What exactly do you want to turn off? If you turned most of them off, you'll still experience the slowness. Let's face it, lots of you used Mac that is under the Minimum Requirement
You're saying that if shadows, transparencies, animations, text smoothing, etc, were all disabled or reduced, there would be no difference in responsiveness?

I have an iMac 400 with 512 ram...there is no reason I should experience several second-long delays for a goddamn window to open if I've got a few apps open at once. Menus are even worse; even with nothing else open there is still a delay before they drop down. It's very annoying.

Sam Venning
Jan 20, 2003, 01:35 AM

In response to the first posting in this thread... I hope none of them are implemented except for iChat revision (which is coming in 10.3) and WindowShade. Control-click to set the desktop picture would be OK, but this is so minor! Sheesh! All the rest are backward steps. Oh, and I think Safari should become the default browser - I think it is great (if only I could alphabetically sort bookmarks and do my internet banking).

Sam

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 02:25 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I really don't understand why this seems to be a challenge for Apple, but I hope that they do *something* to get rid of the choppiness soon.
I'm expecting they finally will. It's pretty ridiculous at this point, in my opinion. This is all I really want. Sh*t, I don't even care about window resizing anymore. Pfft.

Maybe a window shade feature would be nice. Instead of going to the dock, maybe, say, command-clicking would minimize a window OS 9 style. Now that'd be cool.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 02:33 AM

I would really like to see an update to the Bluetooth software. I am particularly interested in having the headset profile supported so that I can use my bluetooth headset for VoIP and voice recognition.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 02:42 AM

Getting rid of the finder "choppiness" and replacing it with gooey aqua "snappiness" would be welcome

The most requested features in my book?

1) Session burning of CDs in the finder. I believe this is available via a third party prog, but honestly, backing up 2 files shouldn't need to burn entire disc - sessions are needed.

2) Improved power management - can't we have back the sleep and WAKE times that we had in OS9?

3) Improve FTP in finder (ie make it work)

These kinda seem like bug fixes - not really 'new features' that would make me want to PAY AGAIN for another upgrade, but I know myself, if they charge it , I will pay...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 03:22 AM

The boot screen with the 'Apple' logo and grey background, IMHO should be the boot panel aswell, lasting the entire boot process.

The whole thing should be treated as a virtual application 'System Software.app'. Loginwindow.app should be part of 'virtual application', and have a similar design, grey background, grey apple (except the Apple is at the top).

Instead of just a list of users it has a two column browser:

First Column
New User Session ---> List of users to login as a user, and start a session
Active User Sessions ---.> List of 'active sessions'.

Several buttons: Turn Off, Low Power, Reboot, End Session, Start Session

Log Out is renamed 'end session' in Apple menu (a dialog appears detailing what will happen). An additional menu item 'Switch Session' (a dialog appears detailing what will happen with a checkbox to lock the session) is placed in the Apple menu which sends you back to the login screen ready to switch the active user.

COMMAND-OPTION-SHIFT-~ cycles between active users. Brings up a password dialog box if the session is locked.

System Software.app (that virtual app I was talking about containing Kernel, Loginwindow.app, all of system folder (not Library in the root) is recognized as a 'application' in the dock, which clicking on it does the same action as switch session in the Apple menu (right clicking on it provides various options like Cycle between sessions, end a particular session etc.)

System Software.app takes the Finder icon and Finder gets a filing cabinet icon.
A full featured Appearance control panel would be nice.
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2003, 03:27 AM

In addition all sessions are treated as 'children' to the master session, root, loginwindow.

Closing a session is like 'closing a window'. With System Software.app in the background.

This will also make it easier for veteran Mac OS users to get used to the 'OS X philosophy'.

Also, if you want a bootable computer all you need is System Software.app (all the other directories like Users will be created automatically aswell as Applications and Library). And all the essential UNIX tools will be inside the bundle.

Corrupt system? Just copy a fresh copy of the System Software.app to your computer, and all your settings will be in tact!
In vino veritas.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 03:37 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
The next version of OS X needs the ability to right click on dock menus. Much like the start menu in windows then i can directly do some of the following "Reveal in Finder, Show Info, Copy, Move" and specific tasks for file types.
You do know that some of that is in there now? When I right click on my dock item - I ge the "Reveal in Finder" item. I would like the Info/Copy/Move as well....but at least its a start.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by LeeG:
Getting rid of the finder "choppiness" and replacing it with gooey aqua "snappiness" would be welcome

The most requested features in my book?

1) Session burning of CDs in the finder. I believe this is available via a third party prog, but honestly, backing up 2 files shouldn't need to burn entire disc - sessions are needed.

2) Improved power management - can't we have back the sleep and WAKE times that we had in OS9?

3) Improve FTP in finder (ie make it work)

These kinda seem like bug fixes - not really 'new features' that would make me want to PAY AGAIN for another upgrade, but I know myself, if they charge it , I will pay...

Lee
1) You do realize thats in Jag now? Use DIsk Copy. It lets you create sessions. Works great!
2) agreed
3) It works. Just not as well as we'd like. Its read only, which sucks. But other than that, I've had no problems with just accessing FTP sites with it. But its useless right now.

In any case, reading through this thread I get the impression that some of you are clamoring for features already in Jag or the latest releases of 10.2.x.

Marook
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
3) It works. Just not as well as we'd like. Its read only, which sucks. But other than that, I've had no problems with just accessing FTP sites with it. But its useless right now.
Yeah, but what do we need read-only FTP access for???
Why can't I mount a FTP session and the session uses my priviliges from the login??? There is a reason for all the file/folder permissions!

Read-only = Not Used!
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
1) You do realize thats in Jag now? Use DIsk Copy. It lets you create sessions. Works great!
2) agreed
1) Like I said, in the FINDER, I know it can be done, but I really like the simplicity of burning from the desktop, but burn-in-finder requires disc at once.

3) "But its useless right now" - My point exactly.

I am not clamoring for 10.2.x features, this is why I said many of these things are more like 'bug fixes' - the features kinda exist, just not really well implemented.

I would like better power mgmt though...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 10:29 AM

My most desired 10.3 feature....

Scrolling!

Ok, its not really a feature, but I would definately appreciate hardware accelerated scrolling built into quartz. No applications would need to be rewritten to take advantage of this. (except for those which override current scroll behavior)

This simple addition would greatly improve the general experience of using OS X. People would actually say: 'Wow, this is responsive. I thought Macs were slower?' Windows users already love the perfect window dragging and rendering behavior. Quartz is responsive in this regard and never renders partial or torn regions on the screen. If scrolling was brought up to this level, my DP450 would seem new again.

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 10:47 AM

just my requests:
- make quartz (extreme) faster
- make more use of quartz extreme
- click scroll button + scroll => window scroll
- much faster startup time
- library's of all kind of documents like WebCore is going to be for HTML but for doc, xls, openoffice docs, sherlock plugins etc....
- beter graphic export (same or higher quality as Adobe's save for web)
- no large movie previewing
- finder rewrite in cocoa (just to make it easier to fix)
- get rid of .DS_store
- standard hd clean up tools such as optimize defragmentation etc...
- iChat video and msn support
- quicktime: preview before you export
- real time minimized window update

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
- standard hd clean up tools such as optimize defragmentation etc...
I don't think fragmentation is such a problem under X as it was under 9 - at least it doesn't seem so when I look at what Norton SpeedDisk shows me.

What I however would really appreciate is if Apple's DiskUtility would support re-partitioning on the fly w/o backup and reformat. I've heard it is possible on XP and there are Linux tools that do it as well - why not OS X?

jonn804
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 11:17 AM

Safari bookmarks included in 'Go menu'
Safari is safari, Finder is Finder. If you wan't those bookmarks in your Go menu then put em in your Favorites folder.

K++

How do you put the bookmarks in the Favorites folder?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Sharky K.:
just my requests:
- iChat video and msn support
[/B]
its not going to happen for god sakes, they chose aol becuase its the biggest in america, if you want msn run the stupid msn client, I do and it hasnt caused any serious hassle, heck I run msn for msn, adium for aol and ichat for rendezvous. Video/sound would be nice though

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2003, 12:44 PM

VCD in DVD Player will never happen.

Ok, Who here buys VCDs? (maybe one hand goes up)

Ok, who pirates movies in VCD form? (maybe 12 hands go up)

No one buys a VCD over a DVD, there is no "Point" to put this feature in DVD Player in Apple's eyes.

-Owl

Saetre
Senior User
Jan 20, 2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
VCD in DVD Player will never happen.

Ok, Who here buys VCDs? (maybe one hand goes up)

Ok, who pirates movies in VCD form? (maybe 12 hands go up)

No one buys a VCD over a DVD, there is no "Point" to put this feature in DVD Player in Apple's eyes.

-Owl
Who would put home movies and school projects on VCD and then watch them using DVD Player? At least one hand goes up!

I would become even more practical if they supported this in iDVD. Heck, all those people with CD-R's and combo drives could get a taste for what they could do with a superdrive equiped mac. I think this would be a great feature.
( Last edited by Saetre; Jan 20, 2003 at 01:39 PM. )
Little children are savages. They are paleolithic creatures.
- E. O. Wilson

MauroCol
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 01:52 PM

Hey, Waffffffle, I have a better version for you than 10.3:

You will be very happy with that version!

things i can think of right now:
  • ability to change all system fonts AND sizes
  • ability to put trash on the desktop
  • labels
  • pop up folders
  • windowshade
  • an iChat revision that doesn't make apple look like they can't afford the resources to create a better AIM client than a college student (Adam Iser's Adium)
  • ability to turn off all transparencies, shadows, animations, and font smoothing
  • more control of audio output (individual volume and EQ for each application, and ability to choose the output device for each app individually)
  • safari included, as a SECONDARY browser
  • AOL installer included (if not with OS X at least with new Macs) - this is not for me but I know too many switchers who have complained to me that AOL didn't come pre-installed on their new Macs
  • control-click "set as desktop picture" as a service, most importantly to be used in Safari (another complaint from switchers)
  • classic window-layering feature built into OS (third party solutions are too slow and often screw things up)
i''m sure I'll think of more...
Best regards from Colombia!

_______
MaurOS X
IT Journalist
http://www.infotech-colombia.com

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2003, 04:16 PM

Text To Speech 2 (2 New voices,"Woody" and "Jessie" Licensed from Babel Technologies)
How about voices from AT&T's Natural Voices. They are by far the best I have heard.

-----------
OOps brainchild2b already mentioned this. Sorry. I didn't read the thread all the way through.
( Last edited by SpinCycle; Jan 20, 2003 at 05:11 PM. )

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2003, 04:22 PM

To the person who said BaBel sucked for text to speech... It's actually sounds like a real person in French. They focus more on European languages since they're based in Belgium. But they're English isn't so hot.

http://babel.fpms.ac.be/BrightSpeech/BrightSpeech.php

If you don't know any of those languages, just translate some English in like babelfish or something and paste it in there. You can hear how smooth it is

Fdanna
Jan 20, 2003, 04:26 PM

my biggest feature request is: FREE :-)

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2003, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
They focus more on European languages since they're based in Belgium. But they're English isn't so hot.
This was funny on about five different levels!

I speak only americanese so my are english isn't so hot either.

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:
In response to the first posting in this thread... I hope none of them are implemented except for iChat revision (which is coming in 10.3) and WindowShade. Control-click to set the desktop picture would be OK, but this is so minor! Sheesh! All the rest are backward steps. Oh, and I think Safari should become the default browser - I think it is great (if only I could alphabetically sort bookmarks and do my internet banking).

Sam

Um, Sam,

I made the first post and I didn't suggest any of the things you say I did, appart from Safari Becoming the default browser. How can having improved text to speech support be considered a backwards step.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2003, 07:24 AM

You can wish for as much as you want but don't get your hopes up to high. All this I-want-that-and-I-want-this is preposterous...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2003, 07:27 AM

I think Apple should change it's Aqua image to match it's latest industrial design using 'soft white', aka iMac, iBook etc.

That would still look good with the current widgets, just changing the pinstripes into a soft white.
In vino veritas.

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2003, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
I think Apple should change it's Aqua image to match it's latest industrial design using 'soft white', aka iMac, iBook etc.

That would still look good with the current widgets, just changing the pinstripes into a soft white.
Nice idea!

Waffle House
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2003, 09:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpinCycle:
[B]How about voices from AT&T's Natural Voices. They are by far the best I have heard.

Sounds good.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 26, 2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Hey, I've got an idea - how about we bring back cooperative multitasking, extension conflicts, and the "bomb" errors too?? Time to start living beyond 1997 I'm afraid!

*puts on flame-proof asbestos suit*
Just because some features were present in an old OS doesn't mean they were bad features! (And just because some features are in a new OS doesn't make them good and well-thought-out features! *cough* DOCK *cough*)

tooki

sambeau
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
just because some features are in a new OS doesn't make them good and well-thought-out features! *cough* DOCK *cough*

But..

... the dock is your friend

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2003, 12:45 AM

Being able to make the widgets any color I want would be nice. Or at least being able to keep the blue aqua (for tabs, buttons, etc.) without having the stoplight widgets. Give us something fun and customizable.

Also different colored buttons and tabs, and so forth, like on Apple's site. We should be able to have green tabs if we want, and purple widgets. Man, what an ugly combinatgion.

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2003, 12:55 AM

There a lot of people setting themselves up for a very big disappointment in here...

Is it too much to ask for reasonable requests? Something besides "free" and "looks and acts just like OS 9?" Ain't never gonna happen, so you might as well stop asking.

I want:

better network/Windows finding/organization

robust use of file metadata in Finder, and improved searching/indexing/history/backup (CD or DVD) recall functionality

Improved Dock that acts like a toolbar to customize (flexible spaces, separators, hierarchical drag-n-drop)

improved sharing options for multi-user systems

Improved drawing frameworks, Cocoa rulers, more font management in the Fonts panel, and improved colors panel (easier rename and such)

Improved services (possible UI improvement) and more scripting integration

more robust pasteboard control by users

better speech/voices framework and implementation

use of WebCore/JavascriptCore for Help Viewer, other Apple apps

(not sure if this is really OS X territory but) better handling of double-precision floating point operations- you know, for CAD and stuff

RenderMan frameworks!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by BuonRotto:
Improved Dock that acts like a toolbar to customize (flexible spaces, separators, hierarchical drag-n-drop)
This is a great suggestion. It's so simple but honestly, I haven't thought of it yet.

Keeps the dock nice, easy and clean for the newcomers, makes it customizable for the pros.

Great idea.

moonmonkey  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2003, 06:55 AM

Keeps the dock nice, easy and clean for the newcomers, makes it customizable for the pros.

Great idea. [/B]

Yeh, the dock definatly needs some improvements for panther.

I want to see an option for removable disks to appear in dock. + everything else everone else asked for.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2003, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I want to see an option for removable disks to appear in dock.
Charles is here on the boards so I'd expect him to promote his own software. Seems, I just came first.

Check his little app DockDisks. I think it does exactly what you're looking for.

Or, I you prefer to have all mounted drives in the dock, but in one single folder just pull the folder /Volumes onto your dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules