Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > System reinstall breaks Quartz Extreme, OpenGL (Radeon 8500)

System reinstall breaks Quartz Extreme, OpenGL (Radeon 8500)
hoopz
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2003, 01:45 AM

Sorry, something odd going on with my post (and I hope not too many simulposts appear!) Anyway, here's what I meant to post:

OK, so I have an AGP G4/400 tower. A few months ago, I got a Radeon 8500 video card for it. Note that to install it, you first load the drivers, shut down, then put the new card in and everything's hunky dory. And it worked fine for me. Until . . .

Yesterday I decided to wipe my hard drive and reinstall Jaguar as part of yearly housekeeping. I was a little concerned that after reinstalling the stock system, the Radeon might freak (since its proprietary drivers had yet to be reinstalled), but everything seemed cool. I reinstalled the system, ran Software Update to get up to 10.2.3 and then ran the latest ATI driver installers.

So everything's fine . . . except that now, anything that uses OpenGL (screensavers, iTunes visuals, Tranquility, etc, has absurdly low frame rates--we're talking maybe one frame every two seconds or so! In fact, Quartz Extreme itself seems to not be active: it failed the transparent Terminal over DVD Player test (only blank grey showed thru the Terminal) and QuartzExtremeCheck reported my monitor as unaccelerated.

What have I tried? Restarting; running the installer again; repairing permissions; creating a new test user . . .

What's left? It occurs to me to try wiping the drive again, shutting down, reinstalling the original video card, reinstalling Jaguar, running the ATI installer and then putting the 8500 back . . . but Lord what a pain that would be.

Anybody have any less drastic suggestions?

a2daj
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 05:29 AM

Jag actually includes Radeon 8500 drivers with the 10.2 install, so there's no need to remove the card.

The problem is that you installed the ATI drivers after installing 10.2.3. As of today, the latest ATI drivers are included with 10.2.3. Installing any currently shipping retail drivers (including the recently released RADEON 9000 drivers) will break things in Mac OS X 10.2.3.

Next time anyone does a reinstall in a Mac system with an ATI card, I recommend installing 10.2, then installing the ATI drivers, and then updating to the latest version of Mac OS X. This will install some extra ATI apps that allow some users to access some more features. Or, if at all possible, read the Read Me file to see which OSes are compatible.

There are a variety of ways you might be able to use to reinstall the old drivers. One method involves using an app called Pacifist which allows you to install individual files from the .pkg files used for updating Mac OS X. It's great app and I would recommend trying that method. Just extract the ATI files from the 10.2.3 package.

Another method is to delete the receipt file for 10.2.3. (located in /Library/Receipts/), then run Software Update again. This should allow you to reinstall 10.2.3.

If the receipt trick doesn't work, just do a clean install as I mentioned above.

Next time, just be aware of the release dates for the ATI drivers and the Mac OS X updates. Usually, Mac OS X updates include newer drivers than the older ATI retail drivers. If there's a new release, read the Read Me for compatibility issues.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2003, 10:51 AM

Heh, I did the exact same thing.
What I did was download the standalone 10.2.3 installer from Apple, and just ran that. All was fixed.

Voltaic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2003, 03:08 PM

I had the same problem last night... I wasn't sure if it was XLR8 MACh speed control or the ATI drivers... but I guess it was the drivers.

OSX w/o the ATI drivers is lightning fast.

-Volt.

hoopz  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2003, 02:16 AM

Yup, reinstalled the combined 10.2.3 update and all is well. Thanks y'all!

ed010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2003, 04:44 PM

I did the same and installed the drivers before the 8500 card per ATI instructions. I spent hours looking for the cause. ATI customer service stinks. They told me it was a application problem on my second query after sending a generic reply thaat failed to address any of my isues on my first contact. I only discovered the cause by accident when I booted into a spare OSX that didn't have their drivers installed on it.
I resolved the problem the hard way using force delete on the old drivers and reinstalling the new ones manually.

Forum Links
Forum Rules