Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Calling iBook gamers!

Calling iBook gamers!
BigCanoe
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 12:34 AM

Anyone here play recent release games on their iBook, both 2D and 3D? How do they perform? I am considering the 800 12", maxed out on ram.

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2003, 03:00 AM

i got the 700 and games run way better then i expected, and i hook it up to an external moniter, and its great too

not awsome for frame rates, but still is great
w3rd..
surrey represent

andycroll
Jan 30, 2003, 05:19 AM

I agree, Jedi Knight works pretty well for me on my (last generation 12" 700 Combo) at 640x480 in 16bit colour. Thus most of the Quake3 engine games should run pretty smooth, particularly with the extra VRAM in the latest iBook.

Also I'm big into my retro gaming, which obviously runs really well.

www.scummvm.org - for all the old Lucasarts adventures.

You should try MAME as well (just type it into google) for some arcade classic goodness.

Less retro but no less fun, there are new opens source prots of Doom, Quake & QuakeII which will run well on the iBook.

Obviously I've deviated quite badly here, but it gives you a view of what I'm playing anyway!

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

andycroll
Jan 30, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by andycroll:
Less retro but no less fun, there are new opens source prots of Doom, Quake & QuakeII which will run well on the iBook.
Links for the above....

doomlegacy.idevgames.com - Doom

www.fruitz-of-dojo.de - Quake I & II

and also MacMAME

www.macmame.org

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

xtal
Senior User
Jan 30, 2003, 10:00 AM

I've played the RTCW demo on my machine (see sig) to see how it works. It's VERY playable, and I'm thinking about picking up the full release. Perhaps some decent speakers would help with the enjoyment, but that's my only gripe.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

appledude83
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2003, 03:21 PM

On my 800mhz iBook with maxed out RAM Warcraft 3 runs pretty well at 1024x768x32 with all the details maxed out. It chops some during big battles but that's to be expected. I was still pretty impressed with the performance.

iBook 800/640MB/30GB

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2003, 10:34 PM

I run JK2 and Ghost Recon at 800 (32 bit for JK2, 16 bit for GR), and I've pushed Max Payne up to 1024x768, 32 bit and it runs acceptably until the last level when the frame rate drops a bit, at least in the lobby.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 12:40 PM

Since Macmame was mentioned, how well does it do on the iBook? I have a PC right now and am in the process of returning to the Mac. One thing I play all the time is Mame.

Thanks.
Agent69

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by appledude83:
On my 800mhz iBook with maxed out RAM Warcraft 3 runs pretty well at 1024x768x32 with all the details maxed out. It chops some during big battles but that's to be expected. I was still pretty impressed with the performance.

Does it run fine when playing on battle.net?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2003, 05:19 PM

I dont realy play games on my iBook (ps2 etc ...) but I did have a go with Ghost Recon and Unreal Tournament, Ghost Recon was good in game but slow as pig whilst loading the missions. Unreal Tournament was ... stunning! I could play it with the highest settings and ... wow! Of course UT is quite old, but the oldies are sometimes the best
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules