Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Do you like the new AlBooks?

Do you like the new AlBooks?
Ryu
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2003, 10:19 PM

Is it just me or someone else also thinks that the good old Ti looks better than the new Albooks?

Well... more precisely, the new 12" at least... since I haven't seen the 17" yet.

Anyway, I had an opportunity to play around with the new 12" today long enough to realize that I actually prefer my Ti's look.

Of course, there are other technical stuffs that add enough value to the new models for me to conside them but seriously... is it just me who thinks that the new ones look... let see, what's the term... kinda PeeCeeish?

ilko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2003, 11:04 PM

I completely agree with you. I don't like the hinges on the new AlBooks. I don't like the ports on the side! I love how they're all hidden in the back of the TiBook. It seems to me that in terms of design the new PowerBooks are a step back. The 12" looks a lot like an iBook. And the 17" has way too much sace around the keyboard and the trackpad. Again, this is my experience in terms of their appearance.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 7, 2003, 11:10 PM

is it just me who thinks that the new ones look... let see, what's the term... kinda PeeCeeish?
That's exactly what they said about the first Titanium powerbooks...

torifile
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2003, 11:15 PM

While the Ti's are definitely more svelte looking, I like the look of my mini. You can just look at it and know it's quality. That's what I love about Macs (well, not the only thing, but one of them). They just scream beautiful, thoughtful designs. The pulsating latch when the computer's asleep. The glowing caps lock key showing that the letters are etched out from beneath and not painted on. The power button. All beautiful ID. Now, if the mini were the thinness of the Ti's, there's be no contest. I guess they gotta cram all that goodness somewhere.

Ryu  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2003, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
That's exactly what they said about the first Titanium powerbooks...
lol... that's true.

May be I will get used to it. But that plastic piece beside the LCD (I guess the protection for the antenna) and the color of aluminium body was, for me, a bit repelling.

And the transparent keyboard was something that distinguished Apple notebooks from the others.

Anyway, these been said, I love the blinking LED on the latch button and also the quality of the new keyboard. Oops... almost forgot the slide CD entry on the side...
( Last edited by Ryu; Feb 8, 2003 at 01:11 AM. )

LosJackal
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2003, 01:04 AM

The TiBooks are/were elegant, but not enough for me to lust after one. The blackish keyboard contrasting against the dull grey never looked that great to me.

Then the poor Airport reception with the heat and flaking paint logically turned me against it. The only model I strongly considered was a November 2002 model, where they improved the heat problem and maybe resolved the paint problem.
"Sawtooth" G4 450 desktop + SuperDrive
"Pismo" G3 500 PowerBook SOLD!
"Hammerhead" G4 PowerBook arrived!
www.canyouhearmenow.com

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by LosJackal:
The TiBooks are/were elegant, but not enough for me to lust after one. The blackish keyboard contrasting against the dull grey never looked that great to me.

Then the poor Airport reception with the heat and flaking paint logically turned me against it. The only model I strongly considered was a November 2002 model, where they improved the heat problem and maybe resolved the paint problem.
I have a new mini 12. I love it, but I DO think the Ti 15's are significantly better looking.

-R

StiZeven
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 02:15 AM

I disagree with most here. Having owned two TiBooks, I did admire their style and shape and realized it was the best designed notebook out there. But as soon as the new models were released, the TiBooks immediately became dated looking and some what antiquated (in terms of design and function). This of course is just my opinion. I still think the TiBook is an amazing machine as well as an incredible value.

As for the new models, I just love the uniformed clean and consistent body with that gorgeous metal look and feel (how ever they treated the aluminum is just perfect). Everything flows with few seams and a sleek, tight and sturdy body. The TiBooks in contrast just don't have that same flare or modern revolutionary design (today, in comparison). To illustrate what I mean and how I see it, take a look at this photo below:

http://a1792.g.akamai.net/7/1792/51/...ht01072003.jpg

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/wireless.html

The TiBook (while still a gorgeous notebook) just looks dated and a tad dull to me - especially next to the new ones. It's like when you buy a new car and you love the new design and shape and you think that nothing can top it, but then when a newer model comes out, you look at the one you bought a couple of years ago and all of a sudden that stunning modern shape and design has been replaced with something newer, more sleek and more functional making your older model look its age.

That's just the way it goes and it will happen again when the next line of PowerBooks come out!

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 02:37 AM

I think this is the picture we were all looking for:

17" next to 15" PB

See second to last picture!!

/Nf

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 8, 2003, 04:49 AM

I prefer the styling of the new books to the old, although they are both nice. I don't really think there is much point in arguing which is better, though, since it is a very subjective matter.

Dan-the-Man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2003, 09:04 AM

Everyone is going to have their own opinion of which machine looks better - style is very subjective! However, I'd just like to draw attention to a few things.

Apple's ID team has been evolving and refining their product lines over the past 4 years or so. Remember the first Wallstreet PowerBook? It was a beautifully designed machine (from the outside) which had plenty of curves and contours. Then there was the Lombard and Pismo systems, which refined this basic exterior design even further, making it thinner and more slim-line. Then the Titanium PowerBook was introduced which dropped the curves and went to a more minimalistic design, with straight edges and a more simple profile. Enter the new PowerBooks, which go further in the process of simplification. They have no two-tone colour scheme any more for the keyboard/case and painted/titanium trim. The hinge is almost hidden when the display is open and closed unlike the Titanium's that is quite obvious, suspending the display like two small hands.

The iBook underwent the same sort of design simplification, dropping curves in favour of clean edges. The iMac also had the same transformation, and I would expect new PowerMac systems at some stage will also undergo design refinement.

Apple undoubtedly has one of the best product ID design teams in any industry, let alone the computer arena where they are leaps and bounds ahead of the rest. One of the lessons that can be learnt from such a phenomenal design group is that often "less is more". Products which are humble in their appearance, and true to their form, without embelishments, tend to date better from a fashion point of view, and as Apple is such a fashion conscious company; this is one lesson you can be sure they will continue to give.

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Ryu:
Is it just me or someone else also thinks that the good old Ti looks better than the new Albooks?

Well... more precisely, the new 12" at least... since I haven't seen the 17" yet.

Anyway, I had an opportunity to play around with the new 12" today long enough to realize that I actually prefer my Ti's look.

Of course, there are other technical stuffs that add enough value to the new models for me to conside them but seriously... is it just me who thinks that the new ones look... let see, what's the term... kinda PeeCeeish?
I completely agree with you. I still prefer the Tibook over the 12" alu (that I saw in person in an apple store). But I'm not that objective as I just bought a Tibook . I'n not sure though about the 15/17 comparison. I'll have to wait to see them side by side. From the pictures, I find the 17 very very elegant. I wouldn't buy it because I think it's to big for what I need (that why I got the 15 and I don't regret it) but it looks like a really fine computer..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2003, 11:38 AM

What you are all noticing in the pictures is the glaring difference in keyboards. The Ti's keyboards (I own 2) contrast with the silvery gray of the computer, where the Albook's seem as one...same color.

I think the Ti is still a better looking machine, compared to the 12", which looks fat. Having said that, I have seen the 17" and ordered one shortly thereafter. Now THAT machine is in contention to overtake the Ti.

I had initial interest in the 12", but after seeing it in person I immediately discounted it. There is no comparison the the brightness and crispness of the screen compared to my latest one month old Ti gig. None. The 12" screen resembles the screen on my original Ti 500, which has dimmed over the years.

Forum Links
Forum Rules