Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I ORDERED The 17in POWERBOOK! YEAH BABY!

I ORDERED The 17in POWERBOOK! YEAH BABY!
drainyoo
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 02:07 PM

It says delivery date 4/4 or earlier. DAMN THATS A LONG TIME!
i hate project managers.

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by drainyoo:
It says delivery date 4/4 or earlier. DAMN THATS A LONG TIME!

Congrats!! I ordered mine two weeks ago today, and I got a delivery date of 4/08 - damn that's an even longer time!

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 03:04 PM

I ordered my 17" Powerbook via Apple Canada on the 27th of Jan. My target shipping date is the 11th of March....

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 04:15 PM

Cracks me up when I see people drop $3K on a machine that hasn't had a single formal review or real-world user opinion. Talk about leap of faith.

Good luck.

morlium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by PoisonTooth:
Cracks me up when I see people drop $3K on a machine that hasn't had a single formal review or real-world user opinion. Talk about leap of faith.

Good luck.
well, if everyone waited, no one would buy. i don't necessarily listen to reviews anyway. if you want the machine, why shouldn't you order one?
Michael Simon, Executive Editor
Collar and Carapace Press

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 04:21 PM

I just talked to a couple of sources and they all said it should start arriving the first week of March.
It seems online orders are behind even orders made by vendors (like my University).

/Nf

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 04:25 PM

Good luck.
Reviews are bullshit. Why should I listen to some jerkoffs opinion about something. Why cant I buy it myself and have my own opinion? If everyone waited for a review then who would review it? I love buying Apple products as soon as they come out, whats the use of waiting? When the Tibook came out I bought it right away and all the issues people had with it didnt bother me. I still have it til this day and I think its perfect. You are just affraid of taking chances. Sucks for you! You just wait and wait and wait until a review comes out. Ill be enjoying all of my 17inches of goodness.

Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.
i hate project managers.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 05:00 PM

Good luck.
Ever purchased a video game without playing it first? Exactly.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 05:02 PM

And BTW, Congrats on ordering your machine!!!

I'll be ordering one as well this coming May in preparation for college...the wait is a killer, huh?!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

drainyoo  (op)
Senior User
Feb 10, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
And BTW, Congrats on ordering your machine!!!

I'll be ordering one as well this coming May in preparation for college...the wait is a killer, huh?!
Thanks man!

Yeah the wait really sucks!!!
i hate project managers.

Nikolajf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 05:19 PM

I have to agree that waiting for reviews to trickle in doesn't seem all that important. We are after all talking about the top of the line show-off computer by Apple. It's like buying the new Aston Martin, you don't need a' review to tell you it's pretty amazing.

Of course there might be minor issues, but those won't be ironed out until the next revision and I really can't wait that long.

I also purchased the original TiBook and what a beauty it was. No regrets there...

*Remember - February is the shortest month of the year*

/Nf

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 05:34 PM

Yeah, you never know what you're going to get from that Apple company.

Cancel your orders, hurry!

Good luck.
TiBook 667 DVI - 20" Cinema Display - 20GB iPod

hall
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 05:47 PM

It's amazing to hear the different answers people get on the ship dates of the 17"

Most people have seen that the apple stores and retail places get product first. Then you see apple store online shipping last.

I spoke to a sales guy at the apple store in Georgia today. He told me that their demo unit was coming at the end of Feb. along with the units to be sold. He expressed that the online store orders usually get filled first and then the stores. Weird eh?

Then I spoke to a sales guy at MacMall. He did confirm that their warehouse has received SOME units but, none are shipping to Feb 28th.

If only apple would come out and give us some hour by hour updates of shipping.....

HvyMtlMdns
Forum Regular
Feb 10, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Nikolajf:
I just talked to a couple of sources and they all said it should start arriving the first week of March.
It seems online orders are behind even orders made by vendors (like my University).

/Nf
Does this mean that if I ordered mine through the university I will receive it before those who bought it through the online store? I wonder Last time I heard from the campus store, they told me March 1st. I'm afraid to call and be told April. The various dates people are being told varies tremendously. Does anyone know if Las Vegas is taking bets on this

Patiently waiting... and waiting...

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 08:21 PM

usually outpost is one of the first to get new stuff.

Followed by the flagship apple stores.

Followed by University stores

Followed by apple online customers

Followed by apple software developers

Followed by employee orders
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 08:27 PM

Wow Drainyoo!

How they could let you order a computer when you most likely don't even have a driver's licence yet?.......based on your "Yeah man" knuckle dragging-bragging behavior on this thread....wait! I see you are from NYC! It's your lack of natural and real surroundings that is leading to your un-natural behavior!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Personally, I will be waiting until the new line has some major speed and ram advances over my already fast gig-ti before I look that way.
1GB of ram? got it on two ti books. 1GHZ? got on one very proven machine.

Go ahead and test'r for us there...if you don't spill your Shirly Temple on it first...

"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 08:30 PM

I know, I know....just as bad..
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 12:19 AM

Ill be enjoying all of my 17inches of goodness.
That's what she said. Ba dum dum...

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 12:47 AM

Reviews are bullshit. Why should I listen to some jerkoffs opinion about something. Why cant I buy it myself and have my own opinion? If everyone waited for a review then who would review it? I love buying Apple products as soon as they come out, whats the use of waiting? When the Tibook came out I bought it right away and all the issues people had with it didnt bother me. I still have it til this day and I think its perfect. You are just affraid of taking chances. Sucks for you! You just wait and wait and wait until a review comes out. Ill be enjoying all of my 17inches of goodness.

Opinions are like *******s, everybody has one.
This is dense on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Reviews are bullshit? You're spending $3K -- why whouldn't you wait to see if a review uncovers some bug, like bad battery performance or heat issues? Remember all those people who bought early gen TiBooks, and had nothing but problems with paint and hinges? How about the 2nd from last PowerMac updates, when there were tremendous fan issues? How about the new 12" PB, which is showing it, too, has some pretty significant heat management issues?

I love how cretins like you think that I'm advocating NEVER buying a new machine. Like most expensive things, common sense tells you that you should take a wait-and-see attitude when you're buying first-run, high-dollar items: this applies to cars, computers, TVs, anything.

You go ahead an enjoy your 17"; I might be buying one, too. In the meantime, however, I'll let guinea pigs like you find the issues for me, so I can know exactly what my $3K is getting me.

So please, by all means, let your zeal to be the newest and shiniest on the block override common sense. Helps people like me out, and you get stuck with the early-adopter, rev A equipment.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Ever purchased a video game without playing it first? Exactly.
When's the last time you bought a $3200 video game?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 12:49 AM

This is dense on so many levels I don't know where to begin.

Reviews are bullshit? You're spending $3K -- why whouldn't you wait to see if a review uncovers some bug, like bad battery performance or heat issues? Remember all those people who bought early gen TiBooks, and had nothing but problems with paint and hinges? How about the 2nd from last PowerMac updates, when there were tremendous fan issues? How about the new 12" PB, which is showing it, too, has some pretty significant heat management issues?

I love how cretins like you think that I'm advocating NEVER buying a new machine. Like most expensive things, common sense tells you that you should take a wait-and-see attitude when you're buying first-run, high-dollar items: this applies to cars, computers, TVs, anything.

You go ahead an enjoy your 17"; I might be buying one, too. In the meantime, however, I'll let guinea pigs like you find the issues for me, so I can know exactly what my $3K is getting me.

So please, by all means, let your zeal to be the newest and shiniest on the block override common sense. Helps people like me out, and you get stuck with the early-adopter, rev A equipment.
Cocky...yet, painfully correct.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by iChristopher:
Yeah, you never know what you're going to get from that Apple company.

Cancel your orders, hurry!
You're kidding yourself if you think that even Apple isn't subject to first-run production errors, just as is any company.

I'm not saying the product won't be nice, but EARLY MODELS TEND TO SHOW HIGHER DEFECT RATES THAN MORE MATURE MODELS.

The pure hilarity here is that you guys will be the first to post an ocean of threads about "My 17" battery life sucks!" or "17" heat issues!!!" or "17" slower than (insert other model here)??"

Good luck. Seriously. I hope that I'm way off base, and that everything is perfect.

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 03:52 AM

I don't think anybody expects the machine to be perfect.

Oh and by the way, there hasn't been a TiBook revision YET that was even close to perfect. In fact, my 667 DVI is going to Apple this week because the paint is coming off it, there is a defect in the display, the case is coming apart, and there might be a problem with the hard drive. I'm not being dramatic or making it up for this post either, I have already mentioned these problems on MacNN in other threads.

You post a rude and insulting message to everybody here that has a 17" PowerBook on order. There are so many reasons to jump your **** for that, I don't have time to point them all out.

What would happen if everybody took your advice and nobody orders a 17"? There might not be a 17" for long, eh? We are known as Early Adopters, people willing to pay a premium and deal with the gremlins often found in first run electronics. We enjoy getting the latest and greatest, can afford to do it, and are willing to take the risk. You benefit from this, so why not shut up and let us enjoy our new PB's?

You make it sound like Apple has never released a PowerBook before. Sure there will be some problems, but I'm guessing it will still be a great machine capable of doing what is was built to do.

It cracks you up? It cracks me up that you are trying to make us out to be idiots or something. We know what we are getting ourselves into, and I for one can't wait until my new PB (first run bugs and all) shows up at my door.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 04:44 AM

Okay everyone -- ease up on the tempers. You know it's bad when I have to come in as the voice of reason!

I think what PoisonTooth is saying -- although maybe he didn't go about it the best way -- is that GIVEN THAT there is a higher rate of problems with Rev. A models than later revisions, it surprises him that so many people BUY Rev. A models.

I think implicit in that is the argument that if you buy a Rev. A and understand the risks and it's still worth it to you, so be it...however, if you buy a Rev. A and get it and are stunned about the existence of bugs, then you were a poorly informed consumer. It's particularly bad if, given that you find such bugs, you come here and instead of posting analysis, you post a rant against Apple and Mac production, along the lines of the "I spent $3000 on this piece of crap," or "It's amazing Apple isn't out of business."

Okay, can we all play nice now?

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 09:18 AM

No temper here. I'm just trying to interject some common sense into this frenzy of, so far, unrequited lust for a unproven, untested, unreviewed, UNAVAILABLE notebook.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 09:26 AM

And you've done an excellent job if I may say so myself...but personally I think these "early adoptors" do see the common sense in that they're are subjecting themselves to a high-risk purchase, but it's next to impossible to calm this frenzy, you know why? Because it's new. We humans did the same thing w/ the 12" PB, the 20" Display, the newly unveiled Ford Mustang, and the list goes on and on...the new-ness that is has causes this touch of insanity we express as happiness, and I think all of the pre-order'ers are fully aware of what they're getting into.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iChristopher
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 01:33 PM

Try doing it without the unprovoked insults. People will take you seriously, consider your point of view, and perhaps even reconsider their own position.

You know your post was flame bait, and I admit it was dumb to take the bait.

No temper here. I'm just trying to interject some common sense into this frenzy of, so far, unrequited lust for a unproven, untested, unreviewed, UNAVAILABLE notebook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules