Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > the blizzard of 2003

the blizzard of 2003
snotnose
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 09:47 AM

its snowing like crazy in delaware right now. we have about 6 inches since 4 a.m. and we are predicted to get another 12. they are saying it could rank in the top 5 storms of washington d.c. history. i hope our power doesn't go out!

any other east coasters getting hit?
Nothing is older than the idea of new

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 10:17 AM

Its due here tonight (New England)
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2003, 10:22 AM

I'm just glad we don't have Marion Barry this time. I was here in 1996 and the only road the DC government ploughed was from Barry's house to his office. H St. in front of the White House wasn't passable for 3 weeks!

But I still wonder if this 3 day weekend will turn into a 4 day weekend.

snotnose  (op)
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
I'm just glad we don't have Marion Barry this time. I was here in 1996 and the only road the DC government ploughed was from Barry's house to his office. H St. in front of the White House wasn't passable for 3 weeks!

But I still wonder if this 3 day weekend will turn into a 4 day weekend.
barry had to make sure he had no problem getting crack probably

yzeater
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2003, 11:45 AM

Barry also was in a state of euphoria when he saw white powder all over the ground...then he looked outside!

I'm here in Northern VA, and it's pretty crazy. We've got about 12" in front of our house, and it's supossed to snow for another 30 hours. We'll see! The best part is that we were scheduled to have school tomorrow!

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 16, 2003, 12:15 PM

Rolled out of bed, turned on the tube, and heard New York City should prepare for the minimum of one foot . . . and possibly up to between 20 to 24 inches!

So I took a shower, rolled my cart over to the food store, and dropped 150 bucks on food and supplies. The store was empty when I got there at 9:30 am, but as more people heard the forecast it started to get busier.

Right now, 12 degrees and no snow. But you can just feel it coming in the air.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

docbud
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2003, 12:16 PM

we got nailed with the other storm during the week. 2 feet of snow. My sister (who lives 20 miles north of me) had over 4 feet.

misc
Feb 16, 2003, 12:17 PM

Woke up around 10:00 and it was already snowing. There was about a foot on the ground from last week's snow storm... They are predicting 8 - 16 inches here in South Jersey... Works cancelled for me!

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2003, 12:18 PM

I just got done shoveling my driveway. Only eight inches so far (I'm in DC), but you've got to try and stay ahead of it, before it becomes to difficult to do later.

Actually, I kind of cheated; I had a snowblower. But that's another reason to stay ahead; those things can only handle up to a given depth, so I'll almost certainly be making multiple runs with it today. But it's so much easier than raw shoveling that it's worth it.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 12:59 PM

Any of you guys up for posting some piccies of snowy city-scapes? I'd love to see some real snow!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 01:04 PM

Central Jersey was clean at about 9 when I left... South has several inches already... no end in sight.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 04:53 PM

Just narrowly made my escape from D.C. /Dulles Int. last night- if I had waited until today to leave I'd be stranded back there I think. They were talking about record amounts of snowfall. Luckily they I made my escape before they shut down the airport. Most turbulent/nasty flight ever though, over every sort of bad weather condition there is.

Its good to be back on the left coast with some livable weather again!

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 16, 2003, 04:54 PM

I want a huge sunlamp over my house.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2003, 04:55 PM

I guess we can relax about terrorism threats for a few days.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 04:57 PM

man, last night, everyone was saying there was gonna be a huge amount of snow, and I was like, where is it

so i wake up this morning, and there it is, and it is still coming down. I walked out down Connecticut Ave to get some lunch, see if Potomac Video had anything (line was too long)... oh well, three day weekend

woo-hoo!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 04:58 PM

I hope you guys in DC will be safe!

The storm is suppose to arrive in Boston on Monday. They are still predicting 3 - 6". All depends on the track of the storm, the usual scenerio.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 05:04 PM

I just read this post and it's not snowing in North Jersey yet, BUT the weather station is saying it's hitting South Jersey right now. I had no idea this was even coming until I read this post, but if Deleware/DC area gets hit chances are New England is too. They just said they're expecting 1' - 2' of snow (feet not inches...FEET!!!)

I've been saying we're over-due for a big one for the past several years. It looks like this will be it. Shoot I guess I should hit the grocery store and stock-up before I have to tunnel my way there through the snow!!

Holy CRAP!!!

MikeM

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 05:34 PM

Philly rules, we're only scheduled for 8-12" . Although it only takes about 4" to shut down the transportation system here .

BG
Edit:
Tonight:_Snow this evening will become heavy at times late along with gusty winds. Low 13F. Winds NE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Snow may accumulate 8 to 12 inches.

I wonder if they mean past what has already accumulated today, or past what was on the ground before the strorm started?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 06:07 PM

Update: over 1ft appears to have fallen so far, another foot expected.... School canceled tomrrow already (decided a few hours ago)... UT2k3 time!

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 07:18 PM

Update: Just got back from the grocery store (totally mobbed). I didn't buy anything I wouldn't normally buy. Most people had thier carts over-loaded. It's 6:15 pm and still not a snowflake in North Jersey. My guess is I won't see any tonight since I'm not planning on going anywhere after I make a run for some brew Tomorrow morning my guess is that everything will be blanketted in snow.

MikeM

snotnose  (op)
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 07:28 PM

we are at 14+ inches right now. i am loving life! its a nice powdery snow too so its super easy to shovel. i will post some pics in a few

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by snotnose:
i will post some pics in a few
Please do! I'll do the same thing when the blizz hit here.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2003, 08:47 PM

South Coast Mass. is predicted to get at least 10-12", looks like a 4 day weekend

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2003, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
South Coast Mass. is predicted to get at least 10-12", looks like a 4 day weekend
School/work gets canceled for that tiny amount of snow?
Man, I really need to move to the US .

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2003, 08:52 PM

I'm surprised it hasn't snowed in Michigan for a few days! I've had my car washed twice this week, and it's still clean!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 09:27 PM

We're getting ice in Raleigh, NC. Man i wish it was snow. [This is what happened early December, last time we had an ice storm

snotnose  (op)
Senior User
Feb 16, 2003, 09:29 PM

snotnose  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 12:04 AM

now its icing, this is gonna get ugly...

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 12:05 AM

From Weather.com: "The storm will leave up to 2 feet of snow in the Washington-Baltimore-Philadelphia area by Monday, 10 to 15 inches (or more) in metro New York by early Tuesday, and 12 inches or more in Boston from later Monday through Tuesday. In Philadelphia, New York City and eventually Boston, winds will increase steadily leading to blowing and drifting. In fact, blizzard or near-blizzard conditions may swat The Big Apple and Long Island at times."

What a weird winter ... we've had only one major snowfall in Minnesota this year, and that was 8 inches a couple of weeks ago. Send some of that stuff this way!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2003, 12:40 AM

Ditto for Alaska. We've got NO snow.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 01:49 AM

I'm about an hour's drive north of Albany, NY (see the radar image in a previous post). They're saying we will only get 3 to 6 inches out of this storm.
But don't feel sorry for us - it's already been the snowiest and coldest winter in decades around here.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 01:57 AM

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.... Waitaminute!

It's really cool, there's frost forming on the window of my bedroom, and it's making these really cool big feathery patterns . Sorry, no digital camera to show off with...

BG

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 02:05 AM

You USA people. Heh heh heh. Go to Newfoundland and see some REAL snow.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 02:20 AM

For those Americans and snow comments:

There are plenty of places in the US that can handle tons of snow. But there are places like the southwest where we almost NEVER get it. In southern utah, they cancel school if there is like 6 inches because there are no snow plows down here, and there are wrecks everywhere because no one in this town knows how to drive in the snow. Its not everywhere in america?

It gotten to 125 (That's over 50 degrees to the rest of the world) here on multiple occasions. One day it was 7:30 at night, and it was still 107 outside.

One of the problems people from Iceland, and other small countries (like all of europe) have when they think of the US is that they don't understand how massive this country is. I don't claim to understand how huge China is. I have no idea how long it takes to drive from one end of china to the other. I don't even know if there are roads the whole way.

You can drive accross germany in like 7-8 hrs? That's about how long it takes to drive the lenght of utah.

For some reason I'm bothered by those, 'those americans' comments. Is this unfounded?

ps: I thought this was going to be about the software company blizzard. too much starcraft, I guess.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
For some reason I'm bothered by those, 'those americans' comments. Is this unfounded?
When the posts have a bunch of 's in them, I think they mean no harm.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 04:59 AM

first it was my friend in NJ, and now you guys... really helping me appreciate the weather here in CA.

Avon
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 09:25 AM

12" so far in NJ. 30" predicted. This is going to be hell to shovel.

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by ShortcutToMoncton:
You USA people. Heh heh heh. Go to Newfoundland and see some REAL snow.

greg
Amen to that.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 12:03 PM

We have had snow on the ground since Christmas!

Boston declared a Snow Emergency at 9am. It started snowing here between 9 & 10am as predicted.

Weather forecasters are predicting 12 - 18" of snow. It's supposed to be a slow moving storm. The storm is due to end Tuesday morning.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 12:13 PM

Got enough to make the bumpers of cars in the parkinglot disappear. Roads aren't plowed anymore either. Only major roads are... these will be done when they can.

Still coming... Still falling.

no school!

misc
Feb 17, 2003, 01:02 PM

Only 20" currently... Here's to no school tomorrow! *taps Beer mug with mate* Oh wait...

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

mollusk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 03:25 PM

I live on a salt marsh and the snow is beautiful. Wind is pretty fierce though and high tide today could be a problem. We have about 6 inches so far today on top of the 10 last week. It is snowing pretty hard and visibility is not great. I work a lot on weekends so am off today and tomorrow and do not have to hurry to shovel out! Just hope we keep our heat. it is pretty windy by the ocean and it doesn't take much for us to loose electricity!
Nice day for reading under a nice warm blanket.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 03:30 PM

...aaaand in a rare "from home" appearance (my GOD, but one forgets how much dialup SUX), checking in from the southern reaches of Worcester County where we are getting POUNDED. Been out twice to snowblow in an effort to keep ahead. Screw it. I'll go out again around nine.
I'm putting a fire up, pouring some glogg and curling up with a book.
ENjoy, y'all. See you in the AM. I can't WAIT to hit the pike tomorrow!

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by KarlG:
I'm surprised it hasn't snowed in Michigan for a few days! I've had my car washed twice this week, and it's still clean!

ya. no ****. ive got my snowblower all gassed up. put a new sparkplug in her in the beginning of the winter. im READY.

we've had nothing but these little sissy ass snowfalls.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 03:45 PM

Its going gang busters here in western New England. The wind is driving it down hard. The mall closed, so no work for me. Tomorrow morning, trying to get to work, ought be fun.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

inEarNest
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 17, 2003, 03:58 PM

We got between 12" and 16" here in Columbus last night. Other places in Ohio got almost 20". It has pretty much shut things down. The downtown streets were ridiculously messy; almost 7" covering the streets in some places. Even the Wendy's corporate HQ is shut down.

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
Philly rules, we're only scheduled for 8-12" . Although it only takes about 4" to shut down the transportation system here .

BG
Edit:
Tonight:_Snow this evening will become heavy at times late along with gusty winds. Low 13F. Winds NE at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 90%. Snow may accumulate 8 to 12 inches.

I wonder if they mean past what has already accumulated today, or past what was on the ground before the strorm started?
Yo. Went out last night up to walk around Philly. The bars were packed. Went up to see City Hall...coulda swore I saw Bruce Willis pop-up from a sewer grating...

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2003, 04:37 PM

This is one of those times I hate living in a cul-de-sac.

I have a flight to Boston to catch tomorrow. It's out of Dulles, so the airport will probably be open, but the problem is that I have no way of knowing if the plows will even be through by then. I'm trying to figure out if there's some way I might be able to get a cab to come to the nearest major road (which is, fortunately, not too much of a hike). Or maybe if I call the limo service I could get one of those Hummer limos to come; those seem to be able to navigate the snow (on the news they had one guy who'd been driving his Hummer around all day, just for the fun of it). Then again, the Hummer limos probably don't have the four-wheel drive that normal Hummers do.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
ive got my snowblower all gassed up.
snow blowers are for wimps!

on second thought...why don't you come visit?!

my car

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 05:02 PM

how did you even get to your car to take a picture of it?

ps. my snowblower is a little guy. mid 90'sish craftsman thingy. got it at a garage sale for like 30 bucks. does pretty well for the level of snowfall we typically get around here, but i dont think it would fare too well in the deep stuff.

i heard maxelson has one of those bad ass monster snowthrowers though....

Forum Links
Forum Rules