Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Switcher

Switcher
Corinthian
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 05:25 AM

I myself is not a switcher, yet helping my friend on this. They are considering to switch to Macs, but only considering the machines at entry level. With budget of around USD1300-1400, which machine would you choose?
Thanks.
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

OreoCookie
Feb 20, 2003, 08:18 AM

What does the switcher want to do with it?

Do they need a notebook? A bit more info on the applications used would be helpful.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 08:21 AM

Yeah, a bit more info. would be really helpful...also, do you have a compatible display/monitor already, or one need to purchased along w/ their new Mac? Because that will make a huge difference. Are they a heavy gamer? Casual at-home user? Power users w/ programs like PhotoShop, LightWave, Bryce, etc.? Just let us know some more info.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Avon
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 02:49 PM

Id say always go for the PowerMac. You can't beat the dual processors speed and multitasking.

If your friend does not have a suitable monitor then a powermac will break the budget big time. A 15" iMac is a great machine if you want the footprint and elegance...

Always concider a PowerMac over a lower end machine, they will last the longest and perform the best.

Corinthian  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

The switchers are usually working on the apps like word and powerpoint, and sometimes just a game or two. They have their own monitors, but I am not sure whether notebook's necessary.
TiBook rulezz~~

TiBook 800/512/40/Combo Drive
TiBook Giga/512/60/SuperDrive

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 09:53 PM

If they are only using normal apps. like Word, etc. and just use the computer for "light" tasks (i.e., heavy tasks = 100+ meg Photoshop cropping files, creating 3D landscapes via LightWave, etc.) then the iMac will suit them just fine. The newest ones w/ the faster processors will handle a "game or two" (Tony Hawk 3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc.) just fine.

Plus, the iMac won't break their budget, *and* it won't tie up their current monitors as it already includes a screen. Just be *sure* they get at least 512MB (1gig preferred) of RAM.

PowerMacs are wonderful, but they aren't NEEDED for such light tasks, and plus they do cost ya more because you have to supply your own monitor. But IF the switcher has his/her own monitor and could scrap up the $1,499 needed for the bottom end PowerMac, then by all means go for it. But if they can't, the iMac sounds like it'll suit the needs you've stated quite fine.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 05:12 PM

I'd get an ibook. For the money, it's hard to find a comparable notebook anywhere. They a hardy, batteries last forever and they're pretty fast. (not to mention that they look cool.)

That's also in your price range ~1400 or so for a nice ibook.

Fb2

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2003, 12:13 AM

I'd get the 1Ghz iMac... it's a pretty sweet machine

Forum Links
Forum Rules