Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > The Best Game Ever

The Best Game Ever (Page 2)
BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2001, 01:36 PM

One word. Three sylables. Starts with M.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 17, 2001, 01:07 AM

The best "game" ever eh?

Well all the RPG-playing, Chessboard-toting, D&D-playing folks can just bust on outtaheya cause a game (IMO) is something you can just sit down and PLAY! If it takes a 53 page instruction manual it's not a game!

Now i just read through all the rest of the posts and it looks like tie between Marathon and Unreal Tournament. Well i been around long enough to play both baby and there's no contest in this beauty pageant...

UT is king.

Beautiful graphics, awesome weapons, tremendous extensibility (via mods, skins, levels), and 5 different game modes, single and multiplayer action... oh man... there's just nothing even close! I simply never grow tired of it no matter how much my neighbor complains about all the cursing... and the fact that i can play it decently on a 2-3 year old Voodoo 2 card running in a 2 year old iMac is simply unbeatable.

A close second...

Oni.

I don't even own this game yet and i'm blown away. Take the best of Double Dragon, Tomb Raider, and Quake/Unreal and you've got a recipe for a truly awesome game. Can't wait to buy the full version.

And last, but certainly not least (this is before many of UT, Q3, and many of you youngins i know) but a truly genre-defining game that i have not even seen mentioned yet:

Warcraft 2.

How many hours did i waste on playing multiplayer over 56k at the Mac Gaming League site? A truly amazing game when it was released and still a blast to play now.

A truly great game: something you would gladly pay for again and again and again. Sorry, Q3A, Marathon, and Fallout were all major disappointments within a week after purchase (anybody tell me why the *@&# Fallout levels took 10 min to load?!)

PS: MacDude... i know that Indiana Jones game and it DID rock!.. now WTF was it's name...

Speed

[This message has been edited by SpeedRacer (edited 04-17-2001).]

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2001, 11:12 AM

Warcraft 2
Oni
Sim City 2000
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by theMacDude:
man, i can't remember the name of it, but it was kinda like a side-scroll Indiana Jones in a croc infested tomb. Played on my old Apple ][. I remeber that we got an accelerator card and it became impossible to play. The crocs would get ya before you could take three steps.
I had a game like that for my old Atari
It was called Pitfall. It was side scrolling, you had to jump over lakes and crocs before they are you, and you also swung around on ropes.

------------------
Men don't leave the toilet seat up, WOMEN LEAVE IT DOWN!
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 11:36 AM

man, i can't remember the name of it, but it was kinda like a side-scroll Indiana Jones in a croc infested tomb. Played on my old Apple ][. I remeber that we got an accelerator card and it became impossible to play. The crocs would get ya before you could take three steps.
I had a game like that for my old Atari
It was called Pitfall. It was side scrolling, you had to jump over lakes and crocs before they are you, and you also swung around on ropes.

------------------
Men don't leave the toilet seat up, WOMEN LEAVE IT DOWN!
iBook G4-1.33/768 || B&W G3-450/640 || Beige G3-G4 450/352 || Beige G3-400/256 in Classic case || Beige G3-300/256 || PB 5300cs Pictureframe 100/24

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2001, 12:03 PM

I'd have to say that the best game is Deus Ex. After over a year of playing UT, I'm starting to get bored of UT. I now play Deus Ex more.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2001, 08:41 PM

Best new game: Quake 3A
Best old game: Doom
Best really old game: Lode Runner
Best antique game: Oregon Trail (for Apple ][)

Most lame game ever: Oni. A wasted opportunity. No gore, no blood, no reality, only squeaky clean Micro$oft family values.

[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1816.[/FONT]

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2001, 10:51 AM

i think who ever said it earlier is right.

we're all split between old/original games and the newest, most impressive ones.
(which is only logical considering we're still playing games...)

UT...

you people are seriously saying that ut is the best game ever?
hmmm...
well... let's think about that.

i'd almost, almost go so far as to say that ut (and by extension any new fps) is just an advanced version of wolfenstein 3d. now, while advanced versions are incredible (please don't forget that i dearly love ut) i can't bring myself to believe that an advanced version,
basically a copy with more features and prettier graphics, is "the best game ever"...

i also can't help but think that anyone who votes for ut as "the best game ever" now will be voting for a different game w/ better graphics but essentially the same fps premise in a few years... and i'm pretty sure that's not what "the best game ever" is supposed to mean...

you know what really amused me?

the fact that fallout and marathon, both of which many people here(incuding myself) loved and seriously consider among the best games ever, can be dissed as "major dissappointments."

that's funny.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 19, 2001, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
i also can't help but think that anyone who votes for ut as "the best game ever" now will be voting for a different game w/ better graphics but essentially the same fps premise in a few years... and i'm pretty sure that's not what "the best game ever" is supposed to mean...
You're right. I don't care if it's not out yet. Halo is going to suck big-time b/c it's related to those copy-cat FPS games. In fact...

Rune... sucks.

R6... sucks.

And 1/2 Life... who cares about that? Just another FPS right?

you know what really amused me?... the fact that fallout and marathon, both of which many people here(incuding myself) loved and seriously consider among the best games ever, can be dissed as "major dissappointments."
Oh, my bad. Forgot to consult the omnipotent Poocat gaming standard. Should have just sucked up and read through that 50 page user manual and 5 min waits between screen changes in Fallout. What am i thinking?

;-p

Speed

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2001, 11:23 PM

So what if UT is based on the same premise as Wolfenstein, it still rocks. When you talk about the Mac OS, do you mean OS 9.1, X, or System 1. Because under your reasoning the only "real" Mac OS is System 1, because 2-9 are all based on the same premise as System 1, and X is based on the same premise as NeXT and Unix. So if five years from now I say I like OS X version 13.2 best, does that mean that it's not "really" my favorite Mac OS, since it's only derived from OS X v10.0, which is based on the premise of NeXT and Unix?

See what I'm getting at? We stretch this out forever. If three years from now there is an amazing implementation of the FPS game style, then I'll think of it as the best game available. And lets be realistic: if you played Quake 3A and Wolfenstein side by side, they would seem like different games. Yes, the same genera, but then is Monopoly the same as Chess? After all, they are both based on the same old tired "board game" premise!

What it comes down to is what a person's favorite style of game is. After that, it's all just quibbling about which game executes that style best.

Whew, how's that for overanalizeing what "best game" truely means?
[FONT="book antiqua"]"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be."

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2001, 11:06 AM

ha!

that's pretty good for overanalyzing.

actually, although it must not have seemed like it from your replys, i really like ut.
i think it's an amazing, incredible, fun, diverse game.

so...
i guess there isn't too much else to say.
i really like it.
i love half life.
i'm excited for halo (though i have to say each press release excites me less and less...)

i love new games.
(right now i'm playing fallout tactics constantly, and perfect dark when i have the time...)

i guess what i was trying to say is that i'm not sure what "the best game ever" means.
and you're right, it means different things for different people.
and that's as it should be!

my one real question was whether or not the people who say ut is "the best game ever" will still say that in four years. i truthfully don't think so. where as i believe the people who say marathon will still say that in four years... so there is a difference somewhere in their perception of "the best game ever."

as to the rest of my post, it was written to respond to another post, and get a response.
and it did...

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

OverclockedHomoSapien
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 23, 2001, 01:10 AM

Yeah, UT is awesome...I bet in a few months UT is my favorite game and Quake is second. I tend to go back and forth, but for now I like Quake the best and I'll rationalize it no problem.

What I'm dying to play is Unreal 2! I really hope that it's optimized for Open GL, that way we can have Quake3-like performance and UT-like gameplay...in my mind that would be the best game. I've always liked UT gameplay better, and the weapons are cooler, and the board layouts, ect., ect. Quake 3 has a great engine but Id didn't seem to bother with anything but the engine.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2001, 02:24 AM

I'm rather disappointed that no one has mentioned Myst or Riven ......The Myst CD alone justified the expense of buy the CD-ROM back in those days....

------------------
All your hunger are belong to subway!
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

JH
Apr 23, 2001, 10:06 AM

I'm not a big games player (lets face it I wouldn't own a mac if I was!) - looking at the shelf in front of me I've got UT, Diablo2, Starcraft and Championship Manager 00/01 plus Bugdom of course, and I'd be pushed to say which was the best (probably Starcraft), but as the post wasn't platform specific I'd have to include a couple of 'oldies' - Elite on the BBC Micro, Tetris on the GameBoy and WAY back, 3D Monster maze on a ZX-81! (Timex 1000). I can also remember getting a big kick when I first played Space Invaders (with coloured cellophane strips stuck to the glass for special effects)
As to future purchases I'm looking forward to seeing how 'Alice' turns out - hope the hardware demands aren't too high

foobars
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2001, 01:43 PM

Alright I've thought it over and I can't choose a favorite! When I look back at all the games I've played on my Mac I can only think of two kinds: those I fondly remember, and those I would quit my job right now to go and play again. So here they are.

All-time favs (super-duper all timers in bold!]:

Escape Velocity
Bolo
Crystal Quest

Vette!
StuntChopper
Myth

Shufflepuck Cafe
UT (and with TacOps)
Myst
The Origianl Escape from Monkey Island (I hope the new one is just as good!)

Quake II (for multiplayer)
Civ II
Warcraft I and II
Sim City (original and 2000)
F/A-18 Hornet (Korea especially)
A-10 Attack!
Rebel Assault (THE ORIGINAL!)

[edit: I just keep thinking of new ones!]

[This message has been edited by foobars (edited 04-23-2001).]

SmileyDude
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2001, 10:45 AM

My list (in no particular order):

- anything by Blizzard, except DII -- too damn slugish on my iBook (366mhz, 320mb RAM) or iMac (400mhz, 192mb RAM) to play... but looks fun
- UT (much more fun than Q3)
- Star Wars Racer
- MacMAME - ok, not a game, but lots of good games run under it
- Solitare Till Dawn/Eric's Solitare (take your pick
- Arkanoid! (original version, if you have a Plus laying around, otherwise, MAME)
- EV (addicting... just wish there was a multi-player version)
- Aperion (still runs great under 9.1 on my iBook, and it was written in 68k assembly)

Just saw this one above -- stunt chopter! That game was great... it's a shame that the author died a while back, but he definetely gave a fun game to the Mac community.

------------------
dennis

[This message has been edited by SmileyDude (edited 04-24-2001).]
dennis

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2001, 07:22 PM

PITFALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ah...memories.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

DevNine
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2003, 11:05 AM

ko2002 !!Kickoff 2002

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 21, 2003, 05:12 PM

The Monkey Island series did it for me. The most fun I've ever had with computer games. Laughing, thinking, yelling, quitting, coming back to, ahhh, the best.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 07:07 PM

I play UT2003 daily, dom mostly. Myth II got me hooked to online gaming and since that I've found it uninteresting to play against non- humans. Some Nintendo games are an exception, they're so damn well written.

Still, my favorite of all time has to be either Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken and the Alien Mind Benders (both LucasArts).

They had this freaky non- linearity about them that I loved. Hard to pick which one, but I guess it should be... Zak.

J

andycroll
Feb 24, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by Macfreak7:
Definitely, Quake II absolutely RULES.
(for multiplayer of course)
ACTION Quake 2

http://aq2.action-web.net

Must see if I can get this to run under the OS X port of Quake 2.

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 09:26 AM

Either Warcraft II or Exile III.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2003, 02:37 PM

SunDog: The Frozen Legacy

.. and Dungeon Master

FTL made the two best games ever.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jon_hh_68
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 05:49 PM

I really liked Airborne and Dark Castle. It would be cool if there was a port of those old games to OS X. I wasted so much time playing them it was not funny.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
UT...

you people are seriously saying that ut is the best game ever?
hmmm...
well... let's think about that.

i'd almost, almost go so far as to say that ut (and by extension any new fps) is just an advanced version of wolfenstein 3d. now, while advanced versions are incredible (please don't forget that i dearly love ut) i can't bring myself to believe that an advanced version,
basically a copy with more features and prettier graphics, is "the best game ever"...
Oh yeah? Well Wolfenstein 3D is just a knockoff of Castle Wolfenstein. Castle Wolfenstein ROOLZ!!!

Actually, I thought the original Castle Wolfenstein (on my Apple II+) was only just pretty good. I liked Wolfenstein 3D MUCH better. But I would still have to say that UT is my favourite game of all time. I'm now running UT2003, and it's definitely prettier than UT, but UT2003 just seems like more of the same for me. So prettier and more recent doesn't necessarily mean we'll like it better.

UT is a different feel than Quake III which I like better, and the online gaming is what differentiates it from Wolfenstein 3D. The caveat is though that I'd have to say that Wolfenstein 3D beat UT for single-player mode. And of course Wolfenstein 3D is probably the most revolutionary game of all time IMO.

Thus:

Overall best game: UT
Best single-player mode: Wolfenstein 3D
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 24, 2003 at 06:32 PM. )

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2003, 04:59 PM

Starcraft and UT.

That's it.

b11051973
Forum Regular
Feb 25, 2003, 05:34 PM

Half-Life gets my vote.

JUnderwood
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 07:32 PM

I don't think Half-Life is on the mac.

My Vote is Marathon...

And best Game Utility....
Forge.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 09:41 PM

Geez, talk about resurrecting an old thread!

Anyway, my favorite 'puter game is Diablo II. Honorable mentions include Baldur's Gate 2, Master of Orion 2, Warcraft 3, and Counter-Strike.

Best console game is Super Mario RPG.
Be happy.

Swede
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2003, 12:54 AM

Lineage of course.

best game ever!

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 06:50 PM

I think he's talking about Aztec for the Apple IIe.

Aztec featured, as mentioned, a guy that looked like Indiana Jones entering a multi leveled underground tomb in search of an Idol. Each tomb consisted of dozens of screen worth of trap covered levels. Sometimes, for instance, you'd walk into a room and the doors would slam shut and quicksand would begin pouring into the room. Or water would start flooding in. Othertimes you would be facing native Aztecs with their blowdarts.

Along the way you would open chests, some of them trapped, and find things like dynamite, or a machete. And once you finally reached the lowest level of the temple, and found that idol - you then had to make your way out of the temple under a strict time limit. It was THE BEST INDIANA JONES STYLE GAME EVER MADE!

Aztec was an AMAZINGLY awesome game. I'd love to see an update made by a team who loved the game and knew what made it work so well.

/rant.AZTEC!!!!!
( Last edited by Wet Jimmy; Feb 27, 2003 at 06:55 PM. )

ul1984
Forum Regular
Mar 1, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Swede:
Lineage of course.

best game ever!
totally agree
lineage rocks!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2003, 08:39 PM

Really tough call. My answer would probably vary depending on my mood.

For today, the greatest game is:

Out of this World.

Runners up:

Marathon
The Infocom games
Escape Velocity

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2003, 03:25 AM

X Wing Collectors Edition and Heroes of Might and Magic II.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 11:54 AM

Solitaire!

DrBoar
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 03:53 AM

1.Marathon triology
The atmosphere and the gameplaying is fantastic as is the range of third party maps Evil anyone?

2. Hellcats and Leyte Gulf
Fantastic game and fantastic graphics concidering that the hardware at the time, 16 MHz CPUs etc. By the looks of it it seems to be the best WWI FS for the mac ever as no new decent ones has arrived the last 10 years

3. Unreal & UT
Unreal for its gameplay full of nasty surprices, from skarj worriors dropping down on you from air vents to suddenly standing face to face with a titan!

These are the games that has recived the most precious comodity I have, time...

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by jon_hh_68:
I really liked Airborne and Dark Castle. It would be cool if there was a port of those old games to OS X. I wasted so much time playing them it was not funny.
Take a look at this then, and I imagine you'll be very happy -

New Dark Castle!

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
Oh yeah, I had X-wing. That was sooooo good.

This is an old thread, it even has my old nick in it: Archangel.

UT is still my vote, but I haven't played it in a long time. I can't wait for UT2k3 to hit be released for the Mac.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

tie
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2003, 08:27 PM

UT is the one game I've enjoyed more than any other, I think. It isn't a "great game" but it's quite fun, nonetheless. Sim City comes close.

I've never played Deus Ex but would love to, now that my computer is fast enough. Any idea where I can buy a copy?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
WORD!

I am really old school when it comes to games, but those are the best of the 90s. Damn damn good.

I was the *best* fighter pilot in the Galaxy

(and Heroes II is the best of the gang)
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Forum Links
Forum Rules