Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > apple care for powerbook

apple care for powerbook
akuraz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 03:07 AM

just wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing an apple care for powerbooks from me. I got this with my powerbook but don't feel like i need it. btw..im new here and thanks for all the good info that you guys provide.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 03:16 AM

I am looking for Apple Care, but I am getting it after I recieve my powerbook.

The rule of thumb I've heard is if you have a Powerbook... you best have Apple Care.

Didn't know you could transfer Apple Care. I thought it was basically a warrenty.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

akuraz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 04:04 AM

yeah...thas true...unfortunately at this point in time, i need the money to help make my credit card payments. Thanks for hte advice though.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2003, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
Didn't know you could transfer Apple Care. I thought it was basically a warrenty.
You can't, once it's registered to a particular Mac. If it's been purchased, but not registered/activated, it could be sold and registered to the new owner's computer.

It's not transferrable from one computer to another.

iBorg

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 20, 2003, 04:30 AM

Thanks.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by akuraz:
yeah...thas true...unfortunately at this point in time, i need the money to help make my credit card payments. Thanks for hte advice though.
Then you should not have bought such an expensive powerbook.
( Last edited by skyman; Feb 20, 2003 at 10:37 AM. )

skyman
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by akuraz:
just wondering if anyone is interested in purchasing an apple care for powerbooks from me. I got this with my powerbook but don't feel like i need it. btw..im new here and thanks for all the good info that you guys provide.
I purchased Apple care with my 1GHz Ti and it is well worth it. The customer support you receive is superior to the standard Apple customer service. For such an expensive investment, Apple care is well worth it.

cgreer00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by iBorg:
You can't, once it's registered to a particular Mac. If it's been purchased, but not registered/activated, it could be sold and registered to the new owner's computer.

It's not transferrable from one computer to another.

iBorg

ummm, i do believe you are mistaken. it IS transferrable from owner to owner. I should know. Mine is used.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by cgreer00:
ummm, i do believe you are mistaken. it IS transferrable from owner to owner. I should know. Mine is used.
The AppleCare is registered to a particular serial number, and can't be transferred to another unit. If you bought a used PowerBook and it had AppleCare registered to it already, you would be covered.

If someone is selling an AppleCare box, which still has the registration card in it, and the person purchasing the box is still within the one year Apple warranty period, then the card could be used to register the purchaser's machine.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

akuraz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 06:57 PM

oh.....the one im selling is not registered to anything yet. anyone interested?

ivi
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 07:52 PM

Where about are you? Looks like I need it now.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 20, 2003, 08:20 PM

You misread/misunderstood what I posted.

AppleCare is "transferrable from owner to owner," only if the Mac it's registered to is included in the sale. If yours (AppleCare) is "used," then you bought a Mac including AppleCare coverage already registered to it.

Unless, the Applecare policy was purchased, but never registered (as the original poster has now stated today!) - then, it can be resold, and the new buyer can register it to his/her Mac.

Once registered, it cannot be switched to another Mac. As I posted earlier.

iBorg

cgreer00
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 02:33 AM

You misread/misunderstood what I posted.

AppleCare is "transferrable from owner to owner," only if the Mac it's registered to is included in the sale. If yours (AppleCare) is "used," then you bought a Mac including AppleCare coverage already registered to it.

Unless, the Applecare policy was purchased, but never registered (as the original poster has now stated today!) - then, it can be resold, and the new buyer can register it to his/her Mac.

Once registered, it cannot be switched to another Mac. As I posted earlier.

iBorg
ok, you are right....I reread it and I understand what you meant. Bad chris....bad bad chris.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2003, 02:54 AM

ok, you are right....I reread it and I understand what you meant. Bad chris....bad bad chris.
LOL! No problems!

My main advice is: If you buy a PowerBook, buy AppleCare!!! In 3 years, you're certainly going to at least need 1 (or 2!) new batteries (if you use it as much as I do!), and after that, it doesn't take much to break even on the cost! (Especially if you can get it for $250, rather than the MSRP of $350, on sale!) And even a "minor" repair can cost hundreds .....

iBorg

Paul Guyot
Feb 21, 2003, 02:54 PM

My main advice is: If you buy a PowerBook, buy AppleCare!!! In 3 years, you're certainly going to at least need 1 (or 2!) new batteries (if you use it as much as I do!), and after that, it doesn't take much to break even on the cost! (Especially if you can get it for $250, rather than the MSRP of $350, on sale!) And even a "minor" repair can cost hundreds .....
You can get your battery replaced with AppleCare????

Also, anyone knows if the AppleCare can be bought anywhere on the planet? It's 441.32 EUR with the 20% VAT on AppleStore here and 330 USD without VAT on some internet reseller (namely CDW, but I'm not sure they ship to Europe).

Paul
Newton Evangelist and developer:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/

emumu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2003, 04:15 PM

LOL! No problems!

iBorg

I asked my neighbor who works in Apple here and he told me usually if your PB has no problems in the first year, it should be okay. The best way is to use a credit card that has extended merchandise warranty to order your PB. So, you have the 1 year Apple warranty plus another year of the extended warranty provided by your credit card company. If you drop or you installed something by yourself and caused mulfunctions, AppleCare doesn't care anyway.

He has three system in his household including one PB, one iBook, and a desktop. He said this works well for him.

Just my 1 cent.

Buck_W
Senior User
Feb 22, 2003, 10:05 PM

...Especially if you can get it for $250, rather than the MSRP of $350, on sale!...
Any suggestions on where to look for sales like that on Apple Care?
17" MacBook Pro 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 320G HD | 8 GB RAM | 10.10.3

douthat
Feb 22, 2003, 10:21 PM

There's been a post on this before, but you might even want to look into State Farm personal article insurance. It is about $50 a year for a laptop and covers things like dropping it, theft, loss, etc..

and at $50 a year, its cheaper than applecare

I would suggest getting both
12" PowerBook 867/640/60/SD/AE

Agent69
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 11:12 AM

If you are a comsumer in Florida, you can't get Applecare, so the insurance suggestion is a good one.
Agent69

MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 11:37 AM

Even if your powerbook is working great, it REALLY keeps up its resale value if you sell it with the powerbook. So if in a year or two you want that new awesome PB, go on Ebay, put yours up for sale and advertise that it still has AppleCare, then you'll get top dollar for your PB!! People are always worried that they'll buy a computer off the internet (ebay - used) and it won't work properly.. The best way to cover this is to say that it's covered!
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2003, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Buck_W:
Any suggestions on where to look for sales like that on Apple Care?
Keep an eye on DealMac and DealsOnTheWeb - that's where I found a special price of $245 from Small Dog Electronics in January (just checking now, their "regular" price is $299).

There are certainly many places to buy at a discount - try the "shop" channel on Sherlock.

iBorg

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by emumu:
The best way is to use a credit card that has extended merchandise warranty to order your PB. So, you have the 1 year Apple warranty plus another year of the extended warranty provided by your credit card company.
What credit cards offer this extended merchanise warrenty? I'm thinking about applying for one, but now I'm interested in finding one that has this warrenty.

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2003, 03:54 PM

most cc companies offer doubling manufacturers warranties of 1 year (visa, mastercard, etc). however, it is solely dependent on the place issuing your card whether they offer those features or not.

for those, looking for cheap applecare for a powerbook, thenerds.net have it for 273.17 including shipping. i just ordered mine today. can't beat a savings of $80 dollars.

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Agent69:
If you are a comsumer in Florida, you can't get Applecare, so the insurance suggestion is a good one.
Technically you cant have it as a consumer, but I remember when i bought mine (in Florida) the salesmen at Compusa was like, "You work on a computer at work right? wink wink" So i guess if its for business use its okay. I registered it and made use of it with no problems.

Voch
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2003, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by schk:
for those, looking for cheap applecare for a powerbook, thenerds.net have it for 273.17 including shipping. i just ordered mine today. can't beat a savings of $80 dollars.
I'm confused. How can anyone except Apple offer AppleCare? Do they buy it from Apple and resell it?

[Edit: smiley typo]

Voch
( Last edited by Voch; Feb 24, 2003 at 05:00 PM. )

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 07:49 PM

Originally posted by Voch:
I'm confused. How can anyone except Apple offer AppleCare? Do they buy it from Apple and resell it?

[Edit: smiley typo]

Voch
It comes in a little box with a policy number, you call Apple up, give them the number and voila you have Apple care. Anybody can sell the Applecare boxes.

mdcarter1
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by mdcarter1:
It comes in a little box with a policy number, you call Apple up, give them the number and voila you have Apple care. Anybody can sell the Applecare boxes.
Edit: Actually, i think yoou mail it, but whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules