Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > When you make presentations w/PB...

When you make presentations w/PB...
MikeD
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 07:32 PM

It's my first presentation.. Do I need to worry about getting drivers for this projector or can I just hook it up with the VGA adapter on my 12" PB??? Also, for audio, should I just bring an external speaker??? I'm really nervous as it is!!

Thanks,
Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by MikeD:
It's my first presentation.. Do I need to worry about getting drivers for this projector or can I just hook it up with the VGA adapter on my 12" PB??? Also, for audio, should I just bring an external speaker??? I'm really nervous as it is!!

Thanks,
Mike
Nope, I never needed any driver..just hook up you PB to the projector, detect display, mirroring and there you go. For the sound, that really depend on the size of the room..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 09:05 PM

phew.. now that's one problem down.. How about some tips...

Should I connect the projector with the PB in sleep mode? or Does it matter?

Also, can I have powerpoint and DVD player open? These are the two programs I need running for the presentation.

All help greatly appreciated..

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2003, 09:20 PM

I would do a cold start after the projector is connected. The only problems I have had, and I do alot of presentations, is when you attach the the projector while the PB is on in any way, even asleep. Once it starts just mirror the monitor and you're set.
You should be able to run both PP and DVD player together. I have lots of programs running in the background most of the time and have never run into a problem.
Hope this helps
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

jafo9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2003, 10:56 PM

i use my pb 1ghz 15" for presentations frequently as i did my ibook. i never went to sleep on the ibook and it wasn't a problem. i have done it without sleep on the PB without problems. the manual for the pb doesn't say anything about sleep. as for sound, alot of projectors have an audio in which is something to look at if you are gonna use the same one alot.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by jafo9:
i use my pb 1ghz 15" for presentations frequently as i did my ibook. i never went to sleep on the ibook and it wasn't a problem. i have done it without sleep on the PB without problems. the manual for the pb doesn't say anything about sleep. as for sound, alot of projectors have an audio in which is something to look at if you are gonna use the same one alot.
So you just connected the VGA to your powerbook without even turning it off? Just plug and play?
iPhone 4 / iPad!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 22, 2003, 11:13 PM

I don't think a projector would be any different from a monitor, so having the computer asleep or awake shouldn't make much difference. I would get there early to make sure you have plenty of time to iron out any problems, and probably also have some sort of backup plan in the even of total disaster (can't get the PB to work with the projector at all) although that is very unlikely.

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
I don't think a projector would be any different from a monitor, so having the computer asleep or awake shouldn't make much difference. I would get there early to make sure you have plenty of time to iron out any problems, and probably also have some sort of backup plan in the even of total disaster (can't get the PB to work with the projector at all) although that is very unlikely.
Whoa.. Plan B??!! I'm already stressed as it is! It's one of those rooms where there's a computer in there and the projector is built into the ceiling. There's a VGA cable that sticks out (guess that's for laptops) and a remote control for the source. I want to hook up my PB via the VGA and just go from there.

Sigh...

Am I supposed to hit the F7 key when I connect the VGA cable? Or is that for something totally different?
iPhone 4 / iPad!

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 01:46 AM

BIG TIP Disable the screen saver and set it never to sleep.

It's a bitch when your in the middle of a pres. and the laptop takes a nap - especially, since some projectors have a problem with working after sleep (they get confused and need to reset or something)
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by NeoMac:
BIG TIP Disable the screen saver and set it never to sleep.
funny.

I somehow volunteered to do a case presentation last week purely fueled by the afterglow of buying my first new powerbook. So in the middle of a discussion, my marine aquarium screensaver pops up with my beautiful lionfish and picasso triggerfish and other buggers.... soon, my audience were more interested in watching the screensaver than listening to what I had to say about the cases.

I myself was amazed. That screensaver doesn't look like much on a tiny 12" lcd but those fish are absolutely HUGE, mutant-like, almost scary when projected to a big screen like that

mgehman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2003, 02:36 AM

Also make sure to take along the DVI-VGA adapter if your PB is one with a DVI out. Else you'll be making shadow puppets with your presentation.
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
- Ernst Jan Plugge
MacBook Pro 2.33GHzDC 3GB RAM

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 02:46 AM

Originally posted by mgehman:
Also make sure to take along the DVI-VGA adapter if your PB is one with a DVI out. Else you'll be making shadow puppets with your presentation.
Everyone, thanks for all the help, tips..

My VGA adapter is already sitting in my bag (I better go check now!)

And again about the sleep mode, can I just connect my PB (while it's on) to the VGA connector and all should be good?

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2003, 04:23 AM

- setup powerbook on the lecturn/desk/blah
- plug in DVI->VGA if neeed
- plug projector into VGA/DVI port
- go to displays and 'detect displays'
- thankyou very much and welcome to the presentation.

On a note. If you're using powerpoint you can set it up to show the presentation on one screen (user selectable) and the other will have your notes on it.

of course if you don't want to be that spanky you can just set your display to mirror mode
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

euphras
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2003, 11:49 AM

Ngrundy, can you tell me how to setup this feature in PP??

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2003, 08:43 PM

Mike, I usually connect to my projector while the PB is asleep. When I open it up, it auto-detects that it's connected to an externa monitor and automatically changes the PB's screen resolution (and thereby moves the icons around, etc) to match my projector's max resolution. Works every time. Also, depending on how long your talk is, you might consider turning down the PB's brightness to gain more battery life. I usally run mine at one or two notches from "dark"...plenty bright to work by if the room is dark.

Sean

finalfantasy
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2003, 11:05 PM

Just for safety plug the projector in when the computer is off just to make sure no problems occur. Some people were saying it does have problems and some are not so dont take the risk .

Be safe and plug it in when its off and then turn it on. Just to be safe. .

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 25, 2003, 01:00 AM

Originally posted by euphras:
Ngrundy, can you tell me how to setup this feature in PP??
When you have two displays running on your powerbook go Slide Show -> Setup Show in the powerpoint menu, their should be an option to setup what display acts at the primary for the slide show.

another note on the monitor stuff, it's a video signel, imho the chance of damage to your powerbook when plugging a monitor into it is about the same as the sun going super nova in the next five minutes. If you realy are worried then putting your laptop to sleep.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 25, 2003, 02:16 AM

I have given many presentations (~1/week for four years)-here are some hints:

If you have a recent powerbook, you probably don't need to worry about rebooting after connecting. It does give you a margin of safety though, and may help your computer automatically find the 'nicest' resolution without any manual adjustment. Current models don't even need to sleep to recognize and adjust to the external display (very nice).

However you will run into one problem with using Apple DVD Player and an external display-I think I know the solution but you should check it out first. This specifically relates to DVD player, NOT powerpoint (it's somehow related to copyright protection rules). You will not absolutely positively have this problem (depending on your exact model, software, etc), but most likely will.

If set to "extended desktop" mode:
If you connect your computer to an external display, and try to play a dvd, you will NOT be able to move the dvd window to the external display.

If set to "video mirroring" mode:
The dvd will play fine on the main display (probably the built-in display by default) but will only show up as a black box on the external lcd projector.

The solution: Before launching the dvd player, use the "Displays" system preference to make the LCD projector your main display. Then you can see the dvd on the external screen (will see a black box on your powerbook lcd).

Arrive early and check everything out-don't suffer embarrassment.

Again you will only have this problem using DVD player; if only using powerpoint there is no need to concern.

If you are not able to access the lcd projector before hand, you can use any monitor to test everything out-the lcd projector is no different from any other external display. However be aware that while the lcd projector itself requires no drivers (it's just a monitor after all), any remote control associated with it may require drivers and not work without them.

Good luck. Be sure to turn off any daily planners, email programs, etc that may have alarms or perform any automatic actions that will prompt for user input. Disable sleep and screen saver. You can press "b" during a powerpoint show to convert to a solid black screen (useful at the beginning/end of your presentation).

darren h
Feb 25, 2003, 07:21 AM

I gave a presentation on Friday, when I set everything up I switched on the PB, plugged in the projector and let the machine adjust to two screens, then switched off projector before putting PB to sleep. When I got up to do the presentation, I woke the PB, fired up Powerpoint, set it to the slide show mode before turning on the projector, everything worked fine, when the projector fired up the presentation was ready to go, took about 10 seconds to get everything running before starting. God bless the speed Apples wake from sleep.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 09:55 AM

I can remember one memorable occasion when I was on work experience in Alabama. I was present at a conference organised by the people I was working for, but I was just supposed to be watching and learning about how it was done, etc.

Anyway, one main part was a powerpoint presentation using lots of video clips from films. They were all saved as .avi files and imported into Powerpoint - except two, which they hadn't been able to find on the net. Those two were left on DVD. The plan was to quickly switch to the DVD player on the laptop giving the presentation. But for one reason or another, they couldn't get it to work (it was a Dell, are you surprised?).

By now it was about an hour before the presentation and people were already arriving. Panicking slightly, one of the staff got me and another staff member together. Since we both had laptops with DVD players, he asked if we could take one disk each and get it onto the screen at the right time. So we tried it and got the disks ready to play.

Wait, it gets better. When the time came to present one of the disks, a staff member blanked the projector, unplugged the VGA cable and threw it across to me. I already had the disk ready, so it was a case of plug in, click "detect displays", click play. Perfect - worked fine.

Then, ten minutes later, it was the turn of the other disk. The woman whose laptop it was had also got it ready. So, we tried the same procedure - someone threw her the VGA cable, she plugged it in, hit the PC equivalent of Detect Displays... and the DVD player quit on her. She started it up again but it refused to work while the external display was connected.

So, with all the audience waiting expectantly, she throws me the disk and whispers "You do it!" It really is a testament to Apple's ease of use that I managed to get that disk up in the right place (I had the scene number written down) within about 20 seconds.

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2003, 07:32 AM

I have done a lot of lecturing with my PB and I put my vote with the previous post on backups. If at all possible take a bunch of transparencies of the talk. I guess if its a real multi-media show with quicktime movies you can't do this.

The one thing that catches me out sometimes is the power adapter. Its on the desk till the last minute and somehow doesn't get into the bag! I guess if money is not an issue a spare adapter in the bag you use for presentations would be a good idea.

The other thing that catches me is plugging in the power but not switching it on. After awhile the PB lowers the screen brightness and on some projectors that causes it to drop the whole connection.

Finally if at all possible get in and try the whole setup before. 10 minutes if thats all you can manage but the day before is better. Before beginning a lecture course even in a room I have used lots of times before I get in the week before and check it all out.

On the audio front you may find there is built in audio. In places I lecture I can use a mini stereo to 2 x RCA plugs cable to connect to the built in audio.

Good luck !

Michael

MikeD  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2003, 01:32 PM

Well, my presentation was yesterday. Everything went well. I was in there about an hour before making sure everything was setup. It was driving me nuts though because the projector had 3 inputs and I didn't know which one to use. It turned out to be the first one and on top of that, you had to switch this A/B switch thing. For audio, I saw that there was an amp there but I didn't know that ahead of time and I brought in a pair of Battery powered Sony speakers which worked great (it's a small lecture room at a University).

I turned off all the powersaving features of the PB and hooked up the speakers and my Keyspan digital media remote. It all worked fine.

Even the DVD player stuff. No Problems whatsoever! I just did mirror display and it showed up onscreen like normal. With the digital media remote, I use the star button to switch application in the middle of my slide show and actually programmed the menu button to go to full screen view in DVD player. Showed my clip, switched apps and was back in the slideshow no probs, no delay, smooth as silk!

Thanks everyone for ALL of your help!!! Your tips all played a role in me getting this done right. And I know I'll be doing this a lot more in the future now... (AHHH!)

Now, for all you presenters out there, do you use the digital media remote or do you think you'll try to use a product like Logitech's presenter mouse? You know, the blutooth mouse that acts as a presenter remote with laser beam? Looks interesting but at about $170.. It's tough for me to swallow since I don't do presentations that often right now.

Again, Thanks!
Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 26, 2003, 02:43 PM

Glad to hear it went well. I will be using my 12" to do a presentation in a week or so.

The new software for the Sony-Ericson bluetooth phones looks really cool, and it would allow you to control the presentation using the phone as a remote control.

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2003, 12:04 PM

the only problem i've seen with the external projector being that the pb (15") would detect the maximum resolution to be 800x600, while a non-apple machine that used it before detected it at 1024x768. therefore the pres. wasn't as smart as it shoud've been... any tips on how to evade this possibly?
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

MrK
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2003, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by mmurray:

The one thing that catches me out sometimes is the power adapter. Its on the desk till the last minute and somehow doesn't get into the bag! I guess if money is not an issue a spare adapter in the bag you use for presentations would be a good idea.
Get a Madisonline Lightweight power adapter as a spare and keep it in your bag. $70. You never have to unplug the one at your desk, which can be a pain, depending on where the outlet is. And it weighs about a pound less than the Apple adapters...

Forum Links
Forum Rules