Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Periodic Audio Lapse

Periodic Audio Lapse
nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 07:13 PM

At seemingly random times I have noticed that the audio on my flatpanel iMac (running 10.2.4) cuts out for a few seconds no matter what application I am in or what I am doing at the time. I doubt there is a problem with my headphones or speakers (Apple Pro Speakers that came with the comp), and I don't have any kind of energy saving options or other preferences turned on that I don't think would affect audio at all. It's starting to really annoy me, and I was wondering if anyone else had such a problem.

Any advice is appriciated.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 01:19 AM

I only notice this when waking from sleep.

parsec
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 02:46 AM

I've started noticing it from time to time on my gigabook as well. iTunes is playing in the background, then nothing for 4 or 5 seconds (rough estimate.. I should really time it next time). The first couple times I noticed I thought some of my mp3's were messed up, but I'd scrub backwards and the part of the song I'd missed would play fine.

I haven't noticed any relation to sleep.

nforcer  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 03:59 AM

Originally posted by parsec:
I've started noticing it from time to time on my gigabook as well. iTunes is playing in the background, then nothing for 4 or 5 seconds (rough estimate.. I should really time it next time). The first couple times I noticed I thought some of my mp3's were messed up, but I'd scrub backwards and the part of the song I'd missed would play fine.

I haven't noticed any relation to sleep.
Sounds exactly like my issue. I've noticed that the problem sometimes occurs while playing quicktime movies, and games as well. I've been giving more thought to this, and have a few possibilities as to what the problem might be.

For those of you who are affected, are you running any "haxies" of any kind of using any major system modifications? (I'm running Silk, and at a point I had XSounds installed but I have since uninstalled it)

And also, do you happen to run any audio applications that might "patch" the system to accomplish what they do? (I was reading one of moki's posts earlier and I believe he claimed Audio Hijack uses it's own CoreAudio lib instead of the system's, so I was wondering if that might affect things, as I do use Audio Hijack, although it is never open or running when the audio problem occurs)

Finally, what's the state of your hard drive? Is it fragmented much, recently reformatted, etc. I have been meaning to defragment mine for a while now (especially since it has been through some media intensive processes) but I don't have the balls or trust to try anything that doesn't have an outstanding reputation for not causing problems.

Thanks again.

parsec
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Sounds exactly like my issue. I've noticed that the problem sometimes occurs while playing quicktime movies, and games as well. I've been giving more thought to this, and have a few possibilities as to what the problem might be.

For those of you who are affected, are you running any "haxies" of any kind of using any major system modifications? (I'm running Silk, and at a point I had XSounds installed but I have since uninstalled it)

And also, do you happen to run any audio applications that might "patch" the system to accomplish what they do? (I was reading one of moki's posts earlier and I believe he claimed Audio Hijack uses it's own CoreAudio lib instead of the system's, so I was wondering if that might affect things, as I do use Audio Hijack, although it is never open or running when the audio problem occurs)

Finally, what's the state of your hard drive? Is it fragmented much, recently reformatted, etc. I have been meaning to defragment mine for a while now (especially since it has been through some media intensive processes) but I don't have the balls or trust to try anything that doesn't have an outstanding reputation for not causing problems.

Thanks again.
I've never installed any haxies or audio hijack.
No weird audio stuff installed.

As for fragmented hd, I doubt my system partition is too fragmented.. most of my downloads and such are on a separate data partition. I have 6 gigs free on my system partition.

I've never had it happen playing movies (though I have noticed lots of audio 'glitches' in quicktime pro player 6.1.. most annoying). I listen to music quite regularly on this system, and I don't experience the (original) problem all that often.
I wish I could remember if I had it at all before 10.2.4

matija
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 02:34 PM

Similar problem has been discussed in thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146027

However, it is not connected to iTunes and is not fixed by the 10.2.4 update. It is also not connected with fragmentation, for when the sound returns, it continues as if nothing has happened and not from the moment it stopped.
For example:
"We wish you a merry Christmas"
sounds like
"We wish ----------- Christmas"
and not like
"We wish ----------- you a merry Christmas".

Cheers, Matija

nforcer  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by matija:
Similar problem has been discussed in thread:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=146027

However, it is not connected to iTunes and is not fixed by the 10.2.4 update. It is also not connected with fragmentation, for when the sound returns, it continues as if nothing has happened and not from the moment it stopped.
For example:
"We wish you a merry Christmas"
sounds like
"We wish ----------- Christmas"
and not like
"We wish ----------- you a merry Christmas".

Cheers, Matija
Read the other thread, thanks for the info. It seems it must be a very common problem and due to a bug somewhere that Apple is responsible for. I'll do some more investigation when I get the time.

PXR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2003, 08:40 PM

Hi there, I'm one of the developers working on both Audio Hijack and I figured I'd set this straight here. Audio Hijack does in fact use a custom copy of the CoreAudio Framework. Because of the way it works, it only affects the applications that it launches. Once this application is quit, Audio Hijack is no longer affecting it. Any application which Audio Hijack didn't launch itself is never affected. Hope that makes sense.
( Last edited by PXR; Mar 6, 2003 at 01:31 AM. )
Paul/CEO+Lackey/Rogue Amoeba Software

Forum Links
Forum Rules