Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" alPB and 17" imac....interesting thought...

17" alPB and 17" imac....interesting thought...
pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2003, 08:48 PM

I have an interesting thought. I am currently waiting for a 17" alPB and a 23" cinema display which is besides the point other than the fact that I don't want to wait to get my first mac so I thought I might invest in the 17" imac in the meantime which I could then sell or give to my parents once I got the 17" PB (*if* I wanted to infact get rid of it...lol.)

Here was my major issue with the 17" imac desktop...it's "one" piece and unchangable (other than ram). That is a major issue for me because I am used to being able to swap parts to upgrade or when parts fail because I'm on a pc desktop.

Basically you are "stuck" with this one configuration which might be fine for most people but I do heavy graphics work and wouldn't want to be "stuck" with a machine that I couldn't change (upgrade to match current technologies/programs) or fix if it was "broken". (we all know how fast technology changes and can't predict it or when it will die on you!)

BUT! Having said that. I just realized something! If I get the applecare protection plan for it that makes my warranty last for 3 years total...THEREFORE...If anything goes wrong (which within 3 years it's bloody likey) like a noisey hard drive or fan or dead pixels or bad video card...then they HAVE to fix it right? Which either means replacing that broken part OR if then can't REPLACE the broken part (because it's an all in one thing) then wouldn't they have to just give you a new machine?!?! If your machine goes down after say a year or two...that means you'll get the latest version/technology doesn't it?!?!??!

I THINK I'M ONTO SOMETHING HERE!! SOMEONE PROVE ME RIGHT OR WRONG!!! Is this too good to be true?!

Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2003, 10:27 PM

You're wrong. Apple stocks a lot of parts, and they can still repair the original iBooks.

The best I've heard Apple doing is replacing a 500-megahertz TiBook with a 667-megahertz TiBook a few months ago.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 10:44 PM

plus, dont you realize that the powerbook is just as un-upgradeable? if you need this, perhaps you should forget about the powerbook and the iMac and get a Power Mac...

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2003, 11:53 PM

Well, it's pretty easy to crack open the iMac and swap HD's and even media drives. I've done it myself many times, just so you know.

ichibod
Mar 13, 2003, 12:00 AM

A friend of mine got a Powermac Cube, and after sending it in 3 times they replaced it with a Powermac tower and added a superdrive free of charge. Guess he's pretty lucky.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 03:31 AM

What type of graphics work are you looking to do? I do a lot of MAYA (and looking into doing A LOT more)!

I am with MaxPower2k3, if you want something upgradable get a PowerMac. Fortunately, the 17-inch will be enough power for me for a while for doing MAYA and most games.

My advice, wait for the 17-inch, or get a top of the line PowerMac with all the frills (with the money you would've spent on the 17")!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

msykes
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by ichibod:
A friend of mine got a Powermac Cube, and after sending it in 3 times they replaced it with a Powermac tower and added a superdrive free of charge. Guess he's pretty lucky.
I don't know, there's something special about the cube!

In any case, Applecare is definitely not a good way to get a new machine in a couple years for free. Even in the rare cases where you get a lemon and end up having it replaced with something slightly better, the hassle of sending it in repeatedly and being without the machine (especially for those of us who only own one machine) definitely does not make it worth the trouble.

Not that I'm saying Applecare is a bad idea, just that don't view it as anything more than the extended warranty which it is.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 09:52 PM

Applecare sounds like a must for all powerbooks! The amount of little things that add up that I've heard from people on this board and through friends, it sound more than worth the price for 3 years!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules