Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I noticed a lot of ppl getting 17 inch pbs, do you plan on carrying them around alot?

I noticed a lot of ppl getting 17 inch pbs, do you plan on carrying them around alot?
Sakino
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 01:28 AM

I'm currently attending college right now, and want to get a new powerbook. I program a lot, and will probably start up on web development stuff more hardcore in the future. I was hoping for the 15 inch alpb to be released but who knows how long that will be.

My question is do you plan on carrying it around with you on a regular basis?? My local apple store still doesnt have a 17 inch on display and I would like to see how big it is before I actually make the purchase.
thanks
josh

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2003, 01:48 AM

The unit's dimensions are available on the Apple website.

Have you seen a Titanium PowerBook G4? The 17-inch PowerBook isn't a great deal larger than the 15-inch PowerBook.

While the 17-inch PowerBook is portable, it's not exactly designed to be as mobile as a 12-inch PowerBook or iBook. The battery life of the 17-inch PowerBook isn't as good as that of the smaller PowerBooks. A 15-inch PowerBook is a good compromise between screen space and portability.

vanwyklr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 01:50 AM

hasn't shipped yet ... ordered day of keynote bto with 1 gig ram. and yes I plan to carry it a lot I commute to school and plan to use it on the train ... at least 3 days a week of carrying it around. I don't think it's too big or heavy but i'll let you know once i get it.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2003, 02:23 AM

I plan to lug it around quite a bit as a upcoming college student, but it'll be in my bookbag, and I'm quite used to heavy bookbags. In the summer of 2001 I went on a hiking expedition in the New Mexico Mountains, 60 miles in 12 days, and carried ~40 lbs. on my back each day, so it shouldn't be a problem.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2003, 02:26 AM

I'll be carrying it to and from work everyday in a Monolith Sleeve inside a Smart Alec backpack courtesy of Tom Bihn.

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 02:44 AM

I don't need to be carrying it around over mountains etc. For me, it's a desktop that fits in a bag. I'll be using it aboard a frigate in the gulf mostly so the 15.4" x 10.<something>" x 1" x 6.8lb dimensions won't bother me too much
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
ADS External FW HD Enclosure w/ a WD120Gb 7200 RPM Drive
30Gb iPod
Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 03:00 AM

I "switched" from a desktop PC and 19" monitor to a 15" PowerBook - it has been brilliant to work at a thin, quiet, not to mention gorgeous notebook with an awesome operating system instead of my old desktop. I do occasionally use it in bed, often use it in my home theatre to review DVDs, and occasionally take it interstate.

So, ultimately, my 15" has truly been a "desktop replacement" with the added convenience that I've been able to completely take my entire business with me if I want to.

Thus the (ever so slightly) larger size and weight of the 17" is of no concern to me.

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2003, 05:26 AM

I will be carrying my 17" PB all over the world, through Airports, security Checks, Taxi's, Trains, and Airplanes. Here's what led me to this...

Originally, I had a Ver. A Clamshell iBook, it was heavy, very heavy, and much to heavy for that little 12" screen it had.

Then the new iBook came out, perfect!(so I thought) it weighs a lite 5 lbs. and is easy to carry. It had the same 12" screen but it was the right weight for that screen size. But I found myself very frustrated hunched over squinting my eyes in Hotel rooms trying to use the screen.

It occured to me that I really didn't mind carrying around that big "Clamshell" iBook, it's just its weight didn't match the size of the screen.

Now along comes the 17" Powerbook. It's got a great big screen, as big as my desktop at home and it weighs almost exactly the same as my original iBook.

Whoa, the 17" Powerbook, yes, thats the one for me!

A point that people seem to bring up about the 17" Powerbook: s that it's too big and weighs too much. Well, as far as the weight goes, it doesn't weigh that much especially when you consider the size of the screen that your getting in this package. My Original iBook weighed the same, and most PC Laptops weigh more, a lot more when you compare the features.

I got the Brenthaven Backpack, the main feature is the shoulder straps are wide and comfortable and that makes carrying a heavy load easier, not to mention it is designed to carry the 17"PB well protected.

As far as the size, yes the dimensions are large, maybe a lttle to big to comfortably use in a typical airpline seat. But, something I noticed in my behaviour is that I rarely watch DVD's while flying unless I have no one sitting next to me, or I'm sitting in an extra large seat. I get uncomfortable trying to watch a movie sitting elbow to elbow with strangers. So I tend to keep my iBook put away and either sleep or read. When I can watch a movie I do and it's easy when the seat next to you is empty.

These things lead me to decide on the 17" Powerbook. I'll be carrying it all over the world all the time. And I won't be squinting at my screen in some hotel room somewhere wishing I was using my desktop.

I ordered mine on the 9th of january, with a ship date of 24 March. I hope I get it soon 'cause I'm leaving for 21 days in asia on the 24th and the display snapped off of my dual USB iBook I bought last year(this is another story for a different forum.)

I'm happy with my choice!

jojomana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 06:06 AM

Yes I plan to carry it, thats why I have purchased it in the first place. If I wanted to leave it in my house I would have gotten the dual power Mac. I can take it to the coffee shop and work with no girlfriend telling me to clean the house etc.. I dream about the day when I can be truly mobile, which I hope is in the next week. Also I live in Hawaii and do surfing video's, I plan on using it in the back of my SUV at the beach after doing watervideo of the surfing and editing it right there on the spot then burning it to DVD.

donny31
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Sakino:
I'm currently attending college right now, and want to get a new powerbook. I program a lot, and will probably start up on web development stuff more hardcore in the future. I was hoping for the 15 inch alpb to be released but who knows how long that will be.

My question is do you plan on carrying it around with you on a regular basis?? My local apple store still doesnt have a 17 inch on display and I would like to see how big it is before I actually make the purchase.
thanks
josh
I have the 15.2 now and Im getting the 17" in a few weeks. I feel that if you travel alot or are at school and your laptop will be moving around alot, then you should think about getting the 15.2 for a good price off ebay when everyone upgrades to the 17" or wait till summer and get the new 15.4.

feo2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2003, 09:52 AM

I cut a piece of 1" mdf (heavy particle board) to the dimensions of the 17". Wouldn't quite fit in my current laptop slot in my backpack (by a mere 1/2" or so in width, but it fit fine in the backpacks other compartments. I carried it around for a while as a test drive and it was fine. In fact the large size filling the whole back compartment was actually kind of comfortable in that it wasn't lumpy (how's that for justification?) The weight was pretty close to the spec wieght, but I always carry so many paper notebooks and scripts I'm used to an overweighted backback anyway (and hope to trim down a lot of that "paper weight" once I get my new powerbook and can carry it with me all the time)

The other thing I noticed with my wood mock up, was that sitting on my lap, it actually felt more comfortable that a smaller laptop, as you can spread your legs!
Rust Never Sleeps

Over Achiever
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2003, 08:26 PM

Of course I'm going to carry it around.

Furthermore, I'm going to stick it into a Waterfield sleevecase and then stick it into my Jansport backpack.

It's not that big.
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2003, 08:39 PM

The 17" would be HUGE, if you plan on carrying around. Plus, it ain't no featherweight either.

People keeps saying "It's not that much heavier". Well, the extra 1/2 lb of the TiBook over the iBook is noticeable, and the 17" is 1.4 lbs heavier than the TiBook. ie. The 17" weighs 25% more than the TiBook. And, I already find my 15" a bit big for this purpose.

One reason I sold my 7-8 lb PC laptop (15") was because of the size and weight. Got a 12" iBook instead partially because it was so much more portable.

Had the 12" PowerBook existed when I bought my TiBook, I might have just gotten the 12".

I do like the screen and extra features of the TiBook over the 12", but there is no way I'd ever get the 17" laptop, unless I was a professional designer or something, or if it was meant as a mostly stationary machine. (I use my laptop for business apps mainly, with a touch of multimedia thrown in, and sometimes it goes back and forth with me from work and to out-of-town meetings, etc.) By the way, I watch a LOT of movies on the train and plane. The TiBook is a bit awkward for that already in economy class since it's so big.

Oh, and considering my main desktop screen is 1280x1024 anyway, 1280x854 on my TiBook doesn't seem small at all. And for the times I really need a seriously high resolution, I simply plug in my TiBook to the DVI port on that 1280x1024 monitor.

milhous
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 08:55 PM

The 17" would be tough to tote around college. Could you imagine trying to take notes with it in a lecture hall with those small flip-up tables?
F = ma

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
The 17" would be HUGE, if you plan on carrying around. Plus, it ain't no featherweight either.

People keeps saying "It's not that much heavier". Well, the extra 1/2 lb of the TiBook over the iBook is noticeable, and the 17" is 1.4 lbs heavier than the TiBook. ie. The 17" weighs 25% more than the TiBook. And, I already find my 15" a bit big for this purpose.

One reason I sold my 7-8 lb PC laptop (15") was because of the size and weight. Got a 12" iBook instead partially because it was so much more portable.

Had the 12" PowerBook existed when I bought my TiBook, I might have just gotten the 12".

I do like the screen and extra features of the TiBook over the 12", but there is no way I'd ever get the 17" laptop, unless I was a professional designer or something, or if it was meant as a mostly stationary machine. (I use my laptop for business apps mainly, with a touch of multimedia thrown in, and sometimes it goes back and forth with me from work and to out-of-town meetings, etc.) By the way, I watch a LOT of movies on the train and plane. The TiBook is a bit awkward for that already in economy class since it's so big.

Oh, and considering my main desktop screen is 1280x1024 anyway, 1280x854 on my TiBook doesn't seem small at all. And for the times I really need a seriously high resolution, I simply plug in my TiBook to the DVI port on that 1280x1024 monitor.
You just summarized the main reasons I went for a Tibook..
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

Sakino  (op)
Senior User
Mar 16, 2003, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

Yeah I see what you mean. I been using my friends 12 inch ibook, and its a nice machine. I couldnt see myself purcashing a 12 incher because the screen size is just to small. I program on a regular basis, and from time to time will be making webpages. I think I might try to wait out for the 15 inch alpb but who knows howl ong that is going to be. School is over with in 2 months, and by the time I order it I would be getting it at the end of school if they were to release it. Hopefully they will released the al 15 pb mid summer and I can order it. Because I see no processor upgrades till fall, due to the current production delay. The only thing that might cause them to release the pb with the new processor would be the fact that intels new chip is causing a major decrease in sale over the next 2-5 months?

baglunch
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 09:33 PM

For me, on the road, the extra 1.4 lbs isn't a big deal compared to the 25-50 lbs of video and lighting equipment i'll already be drudging along with me on the road.

It all depends on the person's use, and their relative belief of what's acceptable and what's not.

Burn
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by maelstrom65:
I don't need to be carrying it around over mountains etc. For me, it's a desktop that fits in a bag. I'll be using it aboard a frigate in the gulf mostly so the 15.4" x 10.<something>" x 1" x 6.8lb dimensions won't bother me too much
maelstrom65, if you're at sea before it arrives I will gladly 'receive' it for you.

(hello from a fellow Victorian)

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 03:21 PM

The 17-inch maybe big guys, but it is light. I've had the opportunity to get my hands on it. Here is a comparison.

My girlfriend has a 15-inch Dell Inspiron 2650 and I let her hold the 17-inch. She made the comparison that the 17 was much lighter than her Dell! I of course, was too much in awe to really put it perspective, but she is right.

The 17 is much lighter than most of its PEECEE counterparts that are much smaller (and its thinner).

Bottom line: THE 17-INCH IS JUST AS PORTABLE AS ALMOST ANY OTHER PEECEE NOTEBOOK OUT THERE (and only slightly less portable than the Ti, and only because it is so big... not heavy)!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Burn:
maelstrom65, if you're at sea before it arrives I will gladly 'receive' it for you.

(hello from a fellow Victorian)
Hello back atcha and in reference to your offer...um...no Thanks anyway...hehehe

Cheers
"Hermann Goering would have been better than Rimmer. Okay, he was a drug-crazed transvestite
but at least we could have gone dancing" - David Lister 3rd Technician JMCS Red Dwarf

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

ghost_flash
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2003, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by badnewsblair:
The 17-inch maybe big guys, but it is light. I've had the opportunity to get my hands on it. Here is a comparison.

My girlfriend has a 15-inch Dell Inspiron 2650 and I let her hold the 17-inch. She made the comparison that the 17 was much lighter than her Dell! I of course, was too much in awe to really put it perspective, but she is right.

The 17 is much lighter than most of its PEECEE counterparts that are much smaller (and its thinner).

Bottom line: THE 17-INCH IS JUST AS PORTABLE AS ALMOST ANY OTHER PEECEE NOTEBOOK OUT THERE (and only slightly less portable than the Ti, and only because it is so big... not heavy)!

It only weighs what.... 6.4lbs? That is the same weight or less than the TOSHIBA with a 15" plus monitor.

Not bad for a computer only 1" thin!
The weight is probably well distributed so it would be easier to carry.

-peace out.

maelstrom65
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2003, 03:25 PM

I have a 2650 15" Inspiron right now too and It is kinda heavy. If the 17" weighs less then hot damn! Can't wait for this thing to get here so I can sell the Inspiron.

PowerBook G4 17"
30Gb iPod
Logitech Elite Keyboard
Sony SJ22 Clie'
Powermate
Powerwave
iCurve
iBot Pro (Deceased)
iSight

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 03:43 PM

I plan on transporting the 17" everyday from my home office to my business office and when I do business up and down the east coast. However, I do not actualy plan to use it while 'on the road'. Infact, I've never used any laptop while 'on the road'. For my uses, the weight is not excessive, and infact, I'll probalby be carrying far less now. My old laptop had a real crummy bag with not much storage space so I carried around an additional briefcase bag. It also had a small harddrive, so I carried around my external FW 80G drive. With the 17", I went out and got the Brethaven shoulder bag which has far more room for storage of files and other items. The 17" also has a 60G drive in it and will hold all my important data that I need. The Brenthaven bag also has a smaller 'pull-out' bag just for the laptop, so If allI wanted to do was carry around the laptop in a protected case... I can.

In summary, while the 17" is heavier then the rest of Apple's line, it is still a light laptop and due to its specs and a wise choice in bags, I'll be carrying around far less stuff everyday.

Also, for comparative purposes, the 17" is the same size (but thinner) than the Cannon LiDE 20/30 scanners - which I have one of. It really isn't as big as people complain about... but it is obviously a 'large' laptop. However, it is far from 'large'.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2003, 03:47 PM

If the 17" is about as heavy as most 15" or even 14" PC laptops, then it's too heavy IMO.

But like I said, that's just my opinion. Well, not just mine. A few colleagues of mine got new laptops in recent months simply to reduce the weight.

Plus, physically big laptops are awkward.

Trust me. 7 lbs. is a lot. Not a lot for a 17" of course, but a lot overall. If you have the luxury of time and you haven't used a heavy laptop before, then I'd definitely suggest testing out one in the store for those who haven't already.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 03:52 PM

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Though the 17 is the biggest laptop around, it is afterall, a Powerbook (know for being thinner than just about any PEECEE laptop). As long as you can get it in your bag, you will not have any problems whatsoever. The darn thing is LIGHT!

And to the person with the Dell, I feel your pain. I had to carry my girlfriend's around for about a week and though it wasn't excessively heavy, I ALWAYS knew it was there on my back!

The 17 is extremely light and you can feel how sturdy it is. My friend has a Ti, and though that is sturdy neough, you can definitely feel the difference!

[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules