Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > World War II Online offering Free Trial

World War II Online offering Free Trial
wwiiol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 07:10 AM

It's a free trial. What have you got to lose?

Link directly to the World War II Online site

Eye candy to help you decide

btw, If you notice my name and think I'm biased towards WWIIOL, you would be correct.

Nawoo
Mar 30, 2003, 09:18 AM

The graphics look soo crappy!

i forsee a failure in this game, sadly

There's no reason why anyone should turn away from Medal of Honour, when it comes to World war 2 games

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 30, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by Nawoo:
The graphics look soo crappy!

i forsee a failure in this game, sadly

There's no reason why anyone should turn away from Medal of Honour
Boy, there's a good judgement of how fun it could be. Has anyone actually played it? How is it? I'd like to hear some experiences; maybe I'll try it out.

wwiiol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 05:03 PM

I've been playing this game for almost a year and a half and it has been the only game I keep coming back to. I've played them all and this is by far the most realistic flight, tank, and FPS. There just isn't any other game out there even close to this one in terms of realism.

But don't trust my word, give it a try for yourself.

Quagmire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2003, 12:11 PM

Medal of Honor really can't compare with WWIIOL. Completely different league. MoH is more of a scripted arcade game, where you have very limited options, and you know what the outcome will be if you meet your objectives.

WWIIOL is more of an online war. Want to help your side win? Grab a rifle or tank and find your way to the front. You might die, you might kill, and you might lose your city and have to fall back. It's all about teamwork, and outsmarting and outshooting your enemy, another real person.

Rabid Duck
Apr 7, 2003, 05:18 PM

Hmm, it has definite potential, but the framerate is simply awful... averaging about 9-12fps while moving, and it dips down to about 3fps during large battles or when flying. I'm running it on a G4/733 with 1GB ram and an ATI Radeon 8500, with the settings turned down

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 07:28 PM

Looks very nice, I hope it runs decent enough to play on my 1 GHz TiBook. I'm downloading it now, already created my account. I'll report back later.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 08:17 PM

ok tried it, and worst gmae ever. Grpahics look quake 1ish, play control sux even worse, if you run dual displays don't even try it, mouse moves ot the 2nd display all the time, and the game always resets my "general" system prefs. Now if MOH can dosomethng liek this i'd be pumped! Hope the new Wolfenstie add on is decent also.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 10:46 PM

Actually, I tend to disagree with you Liquidity X. The graphics are quite good, but its the game-play that sets this game apart. There are about 1,000+ people always playing at any given time. The only annoying things that I have found so far is that 1) you almost need a joystick to fly or drive (but not to be a soldier), and 2) it is *very* involved. The players I talked to suggest that you print out maps of the terrain, there are hundreds of pages on documentation, lots of abbreviations to learn (for example I was seeing chat like "EI to the E about 100, cc".). I later learned that mean enemy soldiers are to the east about 100 yards, click click.

I will play some more tomorrow, I am now addicted to it.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 11:22 PM

I still would liek to see MOH be a MMO game. I think it could be killer! and it would have to have voice chat, where the enemy could hear you, if yer talk to much or to loud, how awosme would that be! add in gun jams, the abiulity to call in artilery, medics that acully have to fix woulds and perform surgery (kinda like hacking in deus ex and system shock), LT that can call in air support but acully have to kinda call it in, the abilty to trip and fall and even break a bone, and I think it would be themost amazing game ever! And i thknk most of that is doable honesty.

biscool
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 07:32 PM

If you want WWII gameplay as a online game look no farther than batterfield 1942. It is a great game. The downside? No mac version...

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 12:10 PM

got WWII not bad at all.. just a bit slow for me i think.. and hmm worked really good with TiPB 1ghz .. dont thinkn ill pay for it tho well not now anyway.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
I still would liek to see MOH be a MMO game. I think it could be killer! and it would have to have voice chat, where the enemy could hear you, if yer talk to much or to loud, how awosme would that be! add in gun jams, the abiulity to call in artilery, medics that acully have to fix woulds and perform surgery (kinda like hacking in deus ex and system shock), LT that can call in air support but acully have to kinda call it in, the abilty to trip and fall and even break a bone, and I think it would be themost amazing game ever! And i thknk most of that is doable honesty.
A lot of what you want is in the Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the online part of it, of course). They have medics that can heal/leave health packs, LT's can bring in air support, etc.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 07:28 AM

A friend of mine is totally hooked on this game, so I stuck around watching him play for awhile.

I had downloaded it once and given up after a few minutes, discouraged by the first impression. But my buddy had stuck to it, advanced in ranks and knew how to play.

After 30 min., I started to grasp the game. I could see how damn hard some operations would be without extremely well coordinated team effort and I liked the challenge. I loved the idea of it being it just one big ongoing game, slowly moving, unlike he endless groundhog day beach skirmishes in RTCW. Perversely, I liked the idea of being able to walk across the whole damn map (Europe), given enough time - sneaking into the enemy capital alone, through the frontline, if feeling particularly foolhardy.

So it got me, and now I'm learning to keep myself alive in what is probably the worst fighter I've ever flown, the Hurricane you get being of low rank. Like flying a shieldless TIE against X-wings. But it's challenging for sure, even landing the damn thing straight takes a huge effort.

Hope some day somebody comes up with a mixture of Escape Velocity/ Halo/ Aliens/ Starship Troopers/ Star Wars/ Trek/ Elite, where one could choose between commerce, crime, militia, building etc. with simple enough newbie ships and tools, but very hard to master advanced things.

J

wwiiol  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 02:03 AM

I'm glad some of you are enjoying the game. It's really progressed so far since it was first released in June 2001.

If you ever ingame, look me up. My game name is "IT".

Forum Links
Forum Rules