Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 3rd Party Software Update

3rd Party Software Update
ohm^n
Feb 17, 2003, 09:04 AM

http://www.myndlinksw.com

Check out renew, comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2003, 09:12 AM

is it freeware?
we don't have time to stop for gas

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 09:16 AM

Yea, hehe, its free. But I do accept donations lol.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2003, 09:28 AM

Very cool, thanks! However, it's not checking for updates...????

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 02:03 PM

Did you add the items you'd like to check to the list? If so..maybe you're all up to date at the moment?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2003, 02:27 PM

That's the problem...it won't let me add things to the list by drag/drop....

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2003, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
That's the problem...it won't let me add things to the list by drag/drop....
Me either.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 06:35 PM

I apologize for that, I've fixed both bugs: the drag 'n drop bug, and the quit on startup. You can get the update from the website!

macmike42
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 07:14 PM

When I click the "Check Now" button, I get the following message in my Console:

2003-02-17 18:00:36.516 System Preferences[3001] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -43 for application (null) path ~/Library/PreferencePanes/Renew.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Renew.app.

-43 is a file not found error, but that file certainly does exist. Kinda wierd. You might want to try -[NSString stringByStandardizingPath], or simply try using LSFindApplicationForInfo() and specifying Renew.app's bundle identifier. That will give you a CFURLRef (essentially the same as NSURL to the application). Also, there are two copies of "Renew.app" inside the prefPane bundle, one in the Contents/MacOS folder, where it really shouldn't be (nor should logo.tif).

PS. Here's a hint on how to use LSFindApplicationForInfo():

LSFindApplicationForInfo( kLSUnknownCreator, (CFStringRef)identifier, NULL, NULL, (CFURLRef *)&url );

It's not hard, but the docs for LaunchServices are pretty crappy.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 07:21 PM

I'll get that added/fixed asap.

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 07:23 PM

btw, if you've got access to /Library/preferencePanes, that will work perfectly.

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 17, 2003, 07:30 PM

Okay, I've fixed the ~/ file path issue.

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 10:12 AM

I have installed it and added all of my apps, but it simply doesnt update anything. The update log is completely blank. The current installation tab lists nothing under the remote version tab, and the last successful check date/time never changes.....

Am I missing something?

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 18, 2003, 11:35 AM

Do you have a little blue or grey icon in your menubar that wasn't there before? If not, then make sure you've got it installed in /Library/PreferencePanes or ~/Library/PreferencePanes, because its not launching the application which sits and waits for an update to come along. It sounds like the application which does all the work isn't running. email me ([email protected]) if you still have trouble.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 18, 2003, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by spiney:
I have installed it and added all of my apps, but it simply doesnt update anything. The update log is completely blank. The current installation tab lists nothing under the remote version tab, and the last successful check date/time never changes.....
'
Am I missing something?
it wont let me add apps ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 12:11 PM

Love it - looks good so far:

However when I select "Preferences" from the menu extra I get the following in my Log:

2003-02-18 16:05:52.931 Renew[1048] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -43 for application (null) path /Library/PreferencePanes/Renew.prefPane.

And when clicking "update now" in the prefpane I get the following:
2003-02-18 16:06:21.113 System Preferences[1045] LSOpenFromURLSpec() returned -43 for application (null) path /Library/PreferencePanes/Renew.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Renew.app.
2003-02-18 16:06:21.127 System Preferences[1045] done w/ launch

Although the update panel does appear eventually.

Also I added Formac's TVR software - and It suggested I "updgraded" to a totally different piece of software!:

You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 01:11 PM

Also -

I installed one of the updates - after installing all the progress bars were at full and the "Install" button was disabled - even when I had switched to another update (you may want to look at your NSTableView "tableViewSelectionDidChange:" delegate method)

see here: http://www.monkeyfood.com/thestuff/f...ots/renew2.png

Also - It would be nice to have a preference to change where downloads are stored.

Great app though. Keep it up.

jamerican
Feb 18, 2003, 01:25 PM

As the title says, how do you install this app?
2007 iMac 24" 2.4 Core2Duo (currently 1Gig Ram), 4 FW400 hd's, 1 FW 800 HD, Brother MFC420N,, Liteon DVD-RW, Epson R320.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by jamerican:
As the title says, how do you install this app?
It's a preference Pane - Drag it into
~/Library/PreferencePanes/

or if you want all users on your machine to be able to use it :

drag it to /Library/PreferencePanes/

dfiler
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2003, 02:40 PM

Excellent idea... something that Apple should have built an API for!

A couple suggestions based upon your screen shots (stuck on XP box at work). Keep in mind, I'm a self proclaimed interface guru (weenie) and that I offer suggestions no matter how good an interface is. I am offering these comments not to denigrate Renew, but to improve what I already see as an excellent product.

It might be reasonable to combine all three tabs and the update window into merely one preference tab, simplifying things but not cluttering the interface or overloading the user. The interface would be simplified into a list of programs, a description area, and an update button.

This may necessitate the addition of a couple columns. Here's a list of columns off the top of my head.
- Install check box (replaced by green check picture if already installed)
- Software Name
- Update Version # ('Remote Version' is jargon) (blank if already installed)
- Your Version # ('Local Version' is jargon)
- Download Size (blank if already installed)

Clicking on a program's row would bring up a description of the update, and a detailed text log if already installed.

The window is completed with an 'Install' button (much more accurate a name than 'Apply'.

Sometimes, non-limiting simplicity is beautiful! *sniff*

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2003, 07:26 PM

a couple of other things:

1 - it suggested a classic version of windows media player.

2 - I installed all the other software - then re-ran ReNew. It still thinks some things need updating - even though they don't.

3 - It lists itself twice!

http://www.monkeyfood.com/thestuff/f...ots/Renew3.png

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 19, 2003, 12:02 AM

I'm finding different developers are putting their version numbers in one of two (or both) places. I just made a fix that looks at the second place if the first is empty. To stop the update from popping up after you've upgraded to that version, you can use the 'Make Inactive' button. Initially I labeled that button 'Skip Version' and I think that is more clear, so i'm going to change it back to that. Clicking that button will tell Renew not to alert you about that program until the *next* update. IE: If its version 1.1, and it keeps coming up, even after you've updated, just hit Make inactive, and you won't be bothered by that update until a version *other* than 1.1 is available.
-Matt

ReefHobbyist
Feb 19, 2003, 11:21 AM

This is a great app idea. I gave it a try last night (v0.1.2) and have the following feedback.

1) The preference for disabling auto-check for updates doesn't stick. I will turn this feature off, quit system preferences, and then open it back up again and it is turned on again. I have a dial up conection and when I log off and log back on it starts up and autodials the internet. I would like to be able to set it to run only when I tell it. I'm running 10.2.4 on a 15" flatpanel iMac (in case this helps).

2) I second the suggestion earlier about changing the download location. I would suggesting using the same download folder as the browsers. I believe it is set up in the Internet preference pane. (not at my computer now so I'm not sure).

3) I would like to turn off the menu icon and only run it from the prefpane. Purhaps this could be an option in the settings?

Other than the bugs that others are mentioning this is all I have.

Thanks,
Scott

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 19, 2003, 01:47 PM

Sounds good, I'll get started on expanding the scheduling options / modes of operation.

-matt

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 19, 2003, 02:32 PM

ReefHobbyist: You can stop your comptuer from dialing whenever an application wants something online in your network preferences. Click the PPP tab, click the PPP Options button, and uncheck 'Connect automatically when needed'.

Britney F.
Feb 19, 2003, 08:50 PM

Matt,

This is a GREAT idea! Keep up the good work.

Here are my suggestions.

- Make Renew operate more like Software Update. By that I mean make it so that the Renew app does need to be run to determine if new software is available. If new software is available then pop up the Renew app (just like Software Update does) as a seperate app that shows up with active menus and can be easily quit via the Menu bar.

- Rename the Update Log to Installed Updates like Software Update (for consistancy).

- Rename the Current Installation tab to something more descriptive like Software List.

- Add to the Current Installation tab "Add" and "Delete" buttons. Add would open a navigation window to navigate to the desired app. Also, it is not clear to me what the "Apply" button is for.

- Make the Status Item (in the menu bar) a user selectable preference.

- In the Renew app add an "Install" (check box) and a "Size" column. When an app has the "Install" check box checked the "Updates to Download" counter should increase.

- In the Renew app remove the status bars until the "Install" button is selected. Also, a "Stop" or "Cancel" button is needed.

Just my two cents.

Britney

Synotic
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2003, 09:13 PM

UpdateRadar has been around for quite a long time and has been a bit more refined because of this... Though it's not free, Renew is not the first

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 20, 2003, 01:15 AM

Britney F: Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll have a new revision with many of your requests implemented this weekend!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by ohm^n:
Britney F: Thanks for your suggestions!

I'll have a new revision with many of your requests implemented this weekend!
Specifically, are you implementing the...

"Make Renew operate more like Software Update. By that I mean make it so that the Renew app does need to be run to determine if new software is available. If new software is available then pop up the Renew app (just like Software Update does) as a seperate app that shows up with active menus and can be easily quit via the Menu bar."

...request?

Thanks.

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 22, 2003, 03:31 AM

I've implemented/fixed these things so far:
-Got rid of the 'Apply' button.

-Added the Add / Delete buttons

-Fixed some bugs on adding applications

-Added option to run with or without a menu item

-Added the option to disable the scheduled checks, and only check when you request it.

-Improved the method Renew uses to get application Names/Versions.

-Re-worked a bit of the prefPane GUI.

-Re-worked some of the UpdateWindow GUI (Progress bars are invisible until you hit install.)

What I'm going to finish this weekend (i hope):
-Checkboxes in the UpdateWindow Table to select which items to install.

-User selectable download location, with your System pref specified download location as the default.

Also to look foward to:
- A new icon, and possibly different NSStatusItem icons.

I'll make this new version available sometime this weekend.

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 22, 2003, 07:40 AM

Checkboxes within the TableView are now functional.Get a screenshot here.

I'm working on the Update Size next. Any other suggestions?

Britney F.
Feb 24, 2003, 07:21 PM

Matt,

I would label the check box column "Install" for clarity of what it does. Also, I would just name "Update Size" column "Size".

What does the "Skip Version" button do? It is not clear to me from the screenshot.

When do we get another version to play with?

Britney

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2003, 12:41 AM

2003-02-24 22:40:55.796 Renew[8383] *** NSTimer ignoring exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException' (reason '*** -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]: attempt to insert nil value') that raised during posting of timer with target 19a37d0 and selector 'runPrimaryTask:'

Is this abnormal?

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 25, 2003, 08:46 AM

Hi, there's a new version (0.1.6) up on the website

Britney: The skip version button will remember the latest version at the time you say to skip, and won't display that program in your list of things to update until there is another new version. This might seem useless or silly, but sometimes its very helpful. For example, Chimera's version number is the day that it was released. But when I download a 'nightly build' the version numbers are different. So Renew would keep Chimera(the older official release) in my list of programs to update. But since I can skip to the next version I won't see Chimera in my list until there is another official release. It's also good for times when developers forget to change the version number on their program. You download 1.5, but the developer accidentally left the version @ 1.4. Since you know that you downloaded the latest version(1.5), you can tell Renew to skip it until a version > 1.5 is released

King Bob: Its an error Download 0.1.6 and see if things go more smoothly.

Britney F.
Feb 25, 2003, 11:26 AM

Matt,

So the "Skip Version" button does the same thing that the "Make Inactive" button did in version 0.1.2? So will it skip versions of all the apps that are checked? If so, then ignore my suggestion about naming the column with the check box.

I am not on my Mac right now so I can't tell what the download version is but the web site still lists the current version as 0.1.2.

Britney

ohm^n  (op)
Feb 25, 2003, 12:21 PM

Yes, its exactly the same as 'Make Inactive' I decided Make Inactive was a bit misleading, because it didn't function like SoftwareUpdate... It just waits for the next version

And you might need to reload or clear the cache on your browser. I'm positive I updated the website because i'm serving it off my G4

Britney F.
Feb 25, 2003, 06:34 PM

Yes, its exactly the same as 'Make Inactive' I decided Make Inactive was a bit misleading, because it didn't function like SoftwareUpdate... It just waits for the next version
Ok, that makes sense.

And you might need to reload or clear the cache on your browser. I'm positive I updated the website because i'm serving it off my G4
You are right it was just a cache issue.

I am seeing something very interesting though. When I try to open the Renew Preference Pane all it ever does it say "Loading Renew..." but it never does. The menu extra shows up and I am able to select update and see the new update window (which looks very nice BTW) but the pref pane never appears so I can't edit my list.

Any ideas?

Britney

Britney F.
Feb 25, 2003, 08:29 PM

Ok, I figured it out. Just deleted the preference file and then tried it. Worked like a charm.

I really like the new icon. I would set that icon as the one that shows in the System Preferences app instead of the lightswitch.

It seems like the menu bar icon still appears when the App (download & install window) runs. The only way to get rid of it is to quit the app. I tried just setting the Info.plist NSUIElement to 0 of the Renew app in the Renew.prefPane/Contents/Resources/Renew/Contents/Info.plist. This set the app to show menus and appear in the dock exactly like Apple's Software Update app. Just create menu items for the items in the menu extra and I think it would be much more intuitive.

Also, as someone else mentioned the Renew app contained in the Renew.prefPane only needs to be in the Renew.prefPane/Contents/Resources and not in the Renew.prefPane/Contents/MacOS location as well. This will significantly cut the size of the prefPane.

Britney
( Last edited by Britney F.; Feb 25, 2003 at 08:52 PM. )

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 25, 2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Britney F.:
Ok, I figured it out. Just deleted the preference file and then tried it. Worked like a charm.

I really like the new icon. I would set that icon as the one that shows in the System Preferences app instead of the lightswitch.

Britney
Agreed, that new icon is very nice and needs to be in the System Prefs panel.

Britney F.
Feb 25, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Agreed, that new icon is very nice and needs to be in the System Prefs panel.
Your new green icon should also be the icon used in the Renew app window instead of Software Update's blue icon.

Britney

Britney F.
Feb 25, 2003, 08:57 PM

Matt,

The preference to "Automatically check for updates when you have a network connection" still does not stay turned off when the System Preferences app is restarted. It is always defaulting to checked.

Britney

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2003, 04:39 PM

http://www.myndlinksw.com

Check out renew, comments, suggestions, etc. are welcome
hi, the url don�t seem to work. is there a way to download this somewere else?

nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 04:59 PM

Just out of curiosity, do any of the aforementioned 3rd party update apps happen to recognize updates for an app with a recently changed name (ie, do they parse the description string in the content provided by the update sources they use and detect any app names listed on the user watch list with verbs such as "formerly" "recently" etc. to see if it might be the same app but renamed)? With apps being renamed sometimes, such as Chimera -> Camino (stupidest name ever, I still can't get over it) this might be a useful feature to have in an updater app if you intend to rely on it for your prime source of software updates.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2003, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by hellmachine:
hi, the url don?t seem to work. is there a way to download this somewere else?
Same here. Tried first in Safari, then blamed Safari for not being again to open a page, tried in Chimera, IE, but the site is not loading.

ohm^n  (op)
Mar 11, 2003, 07:35 PM

Appleman/Hellmachine: I think my ISP is blocking Port 80, server loads fine on my machine, but no one seems to be able to load it from outside. I've moved the page to another server and it should be loading correctly now.

nforcer: Renew isn't looking for those types of changes, but I believe MacUpdate does. Adding an old build of Chimera to Renew will direct you to the new 0.7 release of Camino.

I recently added support for non-nib based carbon applications (bbedit, etc). I've also made some bug fixes to my code for the checkboxes etc. I was gone last week, which is why I haven't posted/updated in a while. Hopefully I'll have another revision out this weekend. I also started using the new green icon in the appropriate places and fixed the 'un-stickyness' of that auto-check preference.

till then..
-Matt

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2003, 06:15 AM

Appleman/Hellmachine: I think my ISP is blocking Port 80, server loads fine on my machine, but no one seems to be able to load it from outside. I've moved the page to another server and it should be loading correctly now.
-Matt
Yep works now. Thanks. I'll try.

ohm^n  (op)
Mar 27, 2003, 12:31 PM

Renew 0.2 is now available.

Various Bug fixes and improvements, I've implemented a warning dialogue on deleting items from Software List, improved the version resolver, Fixed a bug that occurred when deleting multiple items, Support for Carbon applications has been added, French localization completed. Thanks to Matt Anton! Improved the fluidity of the menubar item pulse. Improved PreferencePane independance. Vast stability improvements from previous versions.

If any of you are interested in doing a localization, plz email me!

-Matt

macupdate
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2003, 07:17 PM

This product illegally uses data off of the MacUpdate website to keep track of the software updates. It taps into the XML pages designed for use by UpdateRadar (www.macupdate.com/updateradar), a supported product of MacUpdate.

If you respect and enjoy the services of MacUpdate, I ask you to please refrain from supporting this product.

-Joel Mueller
www.macupdate.com

ohm^n  (op)
Mar 30, 2003, 07:56 PM

Hi Joel,

I read your post on forums.macnn.com. We sent a few emails back and forth a few months ago. You said you hadn't decided wether you were going to support my app, or try to break it, but that you would get back to me with your comments. Your decision never made it to my inbox. I'm a reasonable guy, but you have given me absolutely no terms to play by. I'd really like to come to an agreement that benefits us both. You site provides a service that I and many others appreciate, and I think Renew enhances that service.

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not going to stop development on Renew. If you get rid of the XML, I'll use the website. I've already written the software to do so. That doesn't work out well for either of us. It is slower to get the information with Renew, and you'll simply be using more bandwidth.

The best solution to this is just to make it clear what it is you need for Renew to be accepted. I will make any, and all changes I can without changing the applications function.

Thanks,
Matt Bigarani <matt at bigarani.com>
www.myndlinksw.com
( Last edited by ohm^n; Mar 30, 2003 at 09:04 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Mar 30, 2003, 09:54 PM

Hi Joel,

I read your post on forums.macnn.com. We sent a few emails back and forth a few months ago. You said you hadn't decided wether you were going to support my app, or try to break it, but that you would get back to me with your comments. Your decision never made it to my inbox. I'm a reasonable guy, but you have given me absolutely no terms to play by. I'd really like to come to an agreement that benefits us both. You site provides a service that I and many others appreciate, and I think Renew enhances that service.

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm not going to stop development on Renew. If you get rid of the XML, I'll use the website. I've already written the software to do so. That doesn't work out well for either of us. It is slower to get the information with Renew, and you'll simply be using more bandwidth.

The best solution to this is just to make it clear what it is you need for Renew to be accepted. I will make any, and all changes I can without changing the applications function.

Thanks,
Matt Bigarani <matt at bigarani.com>
www.myndlinksw.com
Threathening is not the right way to negociate. Remember you are the one who owes him something, he owes nothing to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules