Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Conundrum Discontinues Duality 3.1/4 beta

Conundrum Discontinues Duality 3.1/4 beta
goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 01:22 AM

We have stopped distribution of Duality 3.1 and the Duality 4 beta. I'd like to thank everybody for their feedback on both releases. The Duality 4 beta has been discontinued because we have moved to a different branch, which doesn't contain almost any of the code present in MS3. Duality 3.1 has been discontinued due to complete lack of support of new foundation components.

Friday next week we will begin releasing "Generation Three" theme products, marking a new era for themes on Mac OS X. First generation changers such as XMorph and MetaMorphX lacked any security of any sort. Second generation changers such as Duality 3/4 beta and ThemeChanger provided hard-coded OS support, and OS versioning, which only works in some cases. We've re-designed themes from the ground up, from the format design, to the way Duality is designed and operates. As theme developers and theme software developers adopt these new technologies, themes will become much safer and efficient.

The next few weeks will be exciting for themes on Mac OS X.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 02:32 AM

It doesn't get any more simple or efficient than ThemeChanger, sorry.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2003, 02:39 AM

Cool cool.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
...The next few weeks will be exciting for themes on Mac OS X.
Man, I'm definitely looking forward to see what's in store for us theme users.

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 09:19 AM

i am trying to not get my hopes up. ...but i really really hope its kaliedoscopeX (or something similar)

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 09:41 AM

This is so very sad
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 10:18 AM

why is it sad? because you don't like themes? then why are you in the GUI forum?

don't be a retard.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by codywalton:
i am trying to not get my hopes up. ...but i really really hope its kaliedoscopeX (or something similar)

I'll warn you ahead of time its not. Sorry.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 10:37 AM

can you give us a hint of what it will be? Is it just a new format to package current themes in? Or will it give us new themeing abilites like k2 did for k1?

I just feel that themes on OSX are really limited right now (in number and style) due to Apple's HIT format. There's not much freedom to change things up. A new format and app that could extend our themeing options would really get things rolling.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 11:03 AM

can you give us a hint of what it will be? Is it just a new format to package current themes in? Or will it give us new themeing abilites like k2 did for k1?

I just feel that themes on OSX are really limited right now (in number and style) due to Apple's HIT format. There's not much freedom to change things up. A new format and app that could extend our themeing options would really get things rolling.
The new release will consist of 3 parts. One of them is most likely (cough cough) a modern theme format. The idea is to provide bullet-proof security for theme developers who want to do things such as replace things such as bootx. So in a way it provides more functionality, and more security.

I won't say much right now, but theme software developers will have full access to this new format.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 11:20 AM

why is it sad? because you don't like themes? then why are you in the GUI forum?

don't be a retard.
You have no idea who you're talking to, do you? The idea that I hate themes is absurd.

I don't use themes right now because I'm waiting for Duality 4.

-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2003, 11:21 AM

then why do you say this thread is sad? doesnt make any sense.

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 13, 2003, 11:27 AM

Then next week, you'll announce that you are going a DIFFERENT route.

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Mar 13, 2003, 02:43 PM

then why do you say this thread is sad? doesnt make any sense.
\

He was saying that the situation is sad, not the thread. You know you've been hanging out too often on the Mac OS X forums when you naturally interpret every outpouring of emotion as a flame.

n8x
Mar 13, 2003, 03:55 PM

eh.. i don see how they could make theme applying too much better than it is now. i'd say that a new theme builder is more in order. i wanna make one but themepark intimidates the hell outta me..

but hey, if they say its gonna be exciting then i'm excited

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 03:58 PM

I can't see how you can claim to have solved all the issues with theming without having had any public discussion about your new format. I'm still unconvinced about why you need a new format, anyway. I'm waiting with baited breath, or something.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
Mar 13, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by n8x:
eh.. i don see how they could make theme applying too much better than it is now. i'd say that a new theme builder is more in order. i wanna make one but themepark intimidates the hell outta me..

but hey, if they say its gonna be exciting then i'm excited
For example, resource based switching would make many things better. It would make themes smaller, more compatible, work with any localization and would not have to include any graphics made by Apple. So there is still things that can be improved.

I hope this is what goMac has made, if it is, I'm excited

An update to themepark is being worked on (right, smeger?) and it will group PXMs so you can easily find the graphics you want to change.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
I can't see how you can claim to have solved all the issues with theming without having had any public discussion about your new format. I'm still unconvinced about why you need a new format, anyway. I'm waiting with baited breath, or something.
There has been public discussion before. The new format and other technology was designed behind the scenes with multiple people. I assure you this will not be closed. When the new format is released credit will be given where it is deserved.

I'll also note resource based themes might be supported, but that theme sizes will be smaller without them. :cough cough:

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
An update to themepark is being worked on (right, smeger?) and it will group PXMs so you can easily find the graphics you want to change.
This is correct. And a bit more, too.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

n8x
Mar 13, 2003, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by smeger:
This is correct. And a bit more, too.
sweet! definitely looking forward to that one, man.

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 04:50 PM

"Very cool..."
/grasps credit card anxiously

"-Dodge This"

Brien
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2003, 05:58 PM

You read my mind.

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2003, 10:37 PM

W H A T E V E R !

posted by goMac on 2/23:

You should expect to see a final version of Duality a few days after the release of this project. A Catalyst update would most likely occur within perhaps a few weeks of release.

"I'm a one way motorway... I'm a road that drives away and follows you back home..."
Sorry, but you seem a whole lote more interested in posing as a software company then being one.

How many pseudo-press releases are you going to do before you actually figure out what you are doing?

How many project chronologies are you going to start, alter and abandon before you actually finish one?

Call it flames, call it harsh... call it whatever you want ( i think it is my current lack of caffeine making me edgy ) but a single word comes to mind with every post in regard to conundrumsoft:

unprofessional

So it isn't a theme creator, it isn't a theme changer... a new theme format?.... well, whatever it is.... best of luck.

I now defer to anti-flame retort.

Z
( Last edited by zazou; Mar 14, 2003 at 10:55 PM. )

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 14, 2003, 10:49 PM

Will it be in the new .hug format?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 14, 2003, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by zazou:
So it isn't a theme creator, it isn't a theme changer... a new theme format?.... well, whatever it is.... best of luck.

Z
It actually can do everything you've listed above.

I also never said Duality 4 was dead, I simply said we are moving to a different code branch.d

zazou
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2003, 11:31 PM

It actually can do everything you've listed above.

I also never said Duality 4 was dead, I simply said we are moving to a different code branch.d
goMac 2/23

2) This is not the holy grail theme changer. Sorry. I don't want people expecting one.

Haven't you noticed? Chronic cynicism takes no skills, little energy, no education, and if you do it really well in poorly-lit coffee-houses, it gets you laid.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by zazou:
goMac 2/23
By holy grail I meant this is not a Kalaidescope. It does act the same, cannot resize elements, does not overide things instead of replacing, etc.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 15, 2003, 02:21 AM

Friday next week we will begin releasing "Generation Three" theme products, marking a new era for themes on Mac OS X. First generation changers such as XMorph and MetaMorphX lacked any security of any sort. Second generation changers such as Duality 3/4 beta and ThemeChanger provided hard-coded OS support, and OS versioning, which only works in some cases. We've re-designed themes from the ground up, from the format design, to the way Duality is designed and operates. As theme developers and theme software developers adopt these new technologies, themes will become much safer and efficient.

The next few weeks will be exciting for themes on Mac OS X.
hmmm...sorry but i just can't get excited...why not cut the crapola...tell us what yur upta...post some pics...blah, blah, blah...

by the way...i still use metamorphx to change my themes...actually just the extras rsrc...worx great...all the other stuff is useless...

Zimphire
Baninated
Mar 15, 2003, 10:14 AM

Don't you know? It's how MS does things. Hype hype hype, don't show anything about it just hype. Then change your mind in the middle, change the hype, then hype that instead. It's a neverending circle

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 01:16 PM

If you want pics, this is the most you will get. I can't post any other pictures, you'll find out why next week.

http://conundrumsoft.com/showoff.gif

Wickedkitten
Mar 15, 2003, 02:12 PM

so its a new theme format that hypercompresses the theme as well.

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2003, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Wickedkitten:
so its a new theme format that hypercompresses the theme as well.
The secret project is not a new theme format. But yes, that file uses compression. The new format is but a piece of the puzzle.

macmike42
Senior User
Mar 15, 2003, 07:03 PM

Code:
zazou == TRUE; goMac == LAME;
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2003, 08:43 PM

It's probably going to be slow and inefficent as a result of focusing too much on protecting the existing theme, like Duality 3 was. It didn't even work at all most of the time. I'm sticking to ThemeChanger.

Weezer
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2003, 01:39 PM

so where is it?

goMac  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2003, 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Weezer:
so where is it?
It is being posted as we speak. Sorry I'm running a little late, my cat did something to his leg that required a trip to the vet.

MacOS 10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 02:16 AM

The bullcrap detector in this thread has just exploded.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2003, 02:41 AM

Sir, might I ask that you act in a somewhat mature fashion? Your 6-7 posts have been nothing but childish and immature.

Grow up please.

Mac Guru

P.S.- check your PM's

MacOS 10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 2, 2003, 02:50 AM

Pardonnez Moi Monsieur!

But you see I can't help but laugh when someone is prevented from releasing a breakthrough generation theme switcher for OS 10 because his cat did something to its leg. Can you forgive me?

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 03:02 AM

Don't derail the thread. You got a bone to pick, do it offsite.

andycroll
Apr 2, 2003, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by mrbiiggy2:
It doesn't get any more simple or efficient than ThemeChanger, sorry.
Seriously OT but mrbiiggy2 could you change your sig as it really b*ggrs up the size of the forum? It's a bit of a pain having to scroll left to right to read everyones posts!

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

Forum Links
Forum Rules