Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > best video player for mac osx?

best video player for mac osx?
donutogre
Apr 7, 2003, 06:56 PM

hey all, i'm a new convert to os X and i was wondering what the best program for viewing movie files is. i use a variety of mpg and avi files, and quicktime with the divx plugin handles most, but it doens't have full screen, and can't play some for reasons unknown. i used windows media player on xp 98% of the time but the version for osx is crippled and nearly useless. anyone have any good suggestions?
~nate

Hozie
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 07:07 PM

IMHO, VideoLan client works with almost all files. For those that won't play, use MPlayer. If you have those, you're pretty much covered.

MindFad
Posting Junkie

Just get VLC and be done with it. It's �ber handy. Plays every AVI that doesn't work correctly or even play in QT. It's all around good stuff.

SSharon
Professional Poster

there is a way to watch quicktime in full screen but another option is VLC. If its a divx file use the divx validator from divx.com and then use quicktime, that's worked for me. there are many other apps, but I'm not familiar with most . . . Simple Image X, Tru Playa, MPlayer, and more. bottom line try vlc, it doesn't look very nice and its not perfectly stable 100% of the time but it opens everything quicktime doesn't.

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 07:11 PM

Yes VLC will do the job on most files you want to view. Quicktime player does it too but you have to get the Pro version to be able to use the fullscreen mode.

//Rob

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 07:12 PM

does anyone still have the modified controllers for VLC? I *hate* the one it uses....

Cheers
Scott

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Robo-X:
Yes VLC will do the job on most files you want to view. Quicktime player does it too but you have to get the Pro version to be able to use the fullscreen mode.

//Rob
I thought I read in another post somewhere that there is a way to view fullscreen with QT without Pro using an applescript if anyone wants to search for more details about that . . .
am I totally wrong or did I misread something?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 8, 2003, 12:44 AM

I'm sure someone has written a third-party QuickTime player for OS X that allows full-screen, similar to, for example, Peter's Player on OS 9. (One must remember that QuickTime itself does not distinguish between Pro and normal. The code Apple charges money for would be more accurately labeled "QuickTime Player Pro.")

tooki

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2003, 02:30 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
I'm sure someone has written a third-party QuickTime player for OS X that allows full-screen, similar to, for example, Peter's Player on OS 9. (One must remember that QuickTime itself does not distinguish between Pro and normal. The code Apple charges money for would be more accurately labeled "QuickTime Player Pro.")

tooki
there are dozens more on versiontracker, but... the one I used to use is cellulo, and when development stopped (it's since restarted), I wrote my own, Metadata Hootenanny

fireside
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 04:27 AM

i use VLC and Mplayer. i found that if one movie doesnt work with one nicely, it works nicely with the other.

and yes, if anyone does have any replacement controller things for vlc, please post them. vlc's default is the fugly. D:

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 08:59 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
i use VLC and Mplayer. i found that if one movie doesnt work with one nicely, it works nicely with the other.

and yes, if anyone does have any replacement controller things for vlc, please post them. vlc's default is the fugly. D:
I don't mind its default controller. The app does rock for watching my seinfelf episodes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules