Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Canadian 17" Order shipped!

Canadian 17" Order shipped!
aka_pascal
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 12:26 AM

At last... I just got a tracking number from Apple for my 17" order (ordered 1/15, BTO, original OOB 3/28 pushed to 5/1.)

This may or may not be connected to me complaining quite strongly via [email protected] on thursday.

Anyway, I hope this means that the rest of the Canadian crew here has started to get their tracking numbers too.

So, I have one question - the shipping is listed as "SAME DAY RIGHT AWAY" and the tracking number begins with "SVA". It isn't a Fedex tracking number - so does anyone have any idea where I can track this shipment?

..Mark..

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by aka_pascal:
At last... I just got a tracking number from Apple for my 17" order (ordered 1/15, BTO, original OOB 3/28 pushed to 5/1.)

This may or may not be connected to me complaining quite strongly via [email protected] on thursday.

Anyway, I hope this means that the rest of the Canadian crew here has started to get their tracking numbers too.

So, I have one question - the shipping is listed as "SAME DAY RIGHT AWAY" and the tracking number begins with "SVA". It isn't a Fedex tracking number - so does anyone have any idea where I can track this shipment?

..Mark..
YAY!!

doh!

I mean...damn it!

I just made a second order yesterday to the us based mac connection so I would get mine quicker!

Murphy's LAW

(my original order is an ADC student order...I bet they end up coming in a the same time. damn it all to hell)
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

aka_pascal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 12:43 AM

You know, on Friday I came this --><-- close to cancelling and doing the same as you. My finger was hovering right there over the button. But then I thought "screw this - it's just a computer - it'll keep" and decided to do some of the work I was actually being paid to do instead :-)

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 12:50 AM

You know, on Friday I came this --><-- close to cancelling and doing the same as you. My finger was hovering right there over the button. But then I thought "screw this - it's just a computer - it'll keep" and decided to do some of the work I was actually being paid to do instead :-)
I didn't cancel my first one. I officially have $20,000 of merchandise ordered between two different stores...lol. The quicker one gets my business. Unfortunately I don't think either one cares if they get my business. ADC is no profit for them, and mac connection has plenty of business...guess I've got no weight on this one

mac connection says they are getting a shipment of 300 in on the 15th of april. I'm 132 on the list. I don't know if they'll have any surprise shipments before that though.

I'm figuring it will be around the same time for ADC...if not a bit later.

where did you order yours?

aka_pascal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 12:58 AM

I ordered from Apple's online store.

aka_pascal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 01:03 AM

BTW, it turns out the tracking number is for these guys: www.sameday.ca. Unfortunately, the tracking number just gives me an stupid Microsoft database error message right now. Oh well...

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 01:48 PM

i hope you get it soon! and i hope this means a steady stream of deliveries to follow. what did you write in the letter to apple? =)

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2003, 04:33 PM

..Mark..
Mark, congrats!! I have just got my tracking number too so the ball is rolliing. We ordered on the same day so I guess they're filling the first batch. Maybe all our complaining helped!

I can't wait to get started using it and have sort of abandoned all work on my old beige G3 until it arrives. Who knows, I might be productive once again soon.

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 09:16 AM

Still waiting.
I checked the Fedex site and apparently a 'third party broker' is employed by Apple to get goods through customs. I phoned Apple this morning and they tell me my machine is awaiting customs clearance in Mississauga. Once through customs, it reverts to Fedex and can be tracked again. At most, two business days...

aka_pascal  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 10:51 AM

Still waiting here too. I am a bit hacked off that Apple seem to have shipped mine via ground rather than Fedex (I ordered and paid for it, but because I ordered an extra power adapter at the same time, that got shipped Fedex, but not the PowerBook.) I have absolutely no idea where mine is right now, because SameDay's tracking numbers don't work until the package reaches one of their Canadian sites. Which seems pretty useless, let's face it.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 10:57 AM

Anyone have any news on any of the Apple Store's getting stock, or any of the distributers like EMJ?

This actually brings me to another question: EMJ is Apple's largest distributer in Canada. Do they stock Apple Canada as well as the Apple Stores or is Apple * stocked from Apple directly?

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by JakBeatZ:
Anyone have any news on any of the Apple Store's getting stock, or any of the distributers like EMJ?

This actually brings me to another question: EMJ is Apple's largest distributer in Canada. Do they stock Apple Canada as well as the Apple Stores or is Apple * stocked from Apple directly?

I wish I knew I'm waiting for them to get mine too.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 12:33 PM

You're waiting for EMJ too? What's your position # in the queue, you know? Mine is like 106 or something like that...

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:38 PM

You're waiting for EMJ too? What's your position # in the queue, you know? Mine is like 106 or something like that...
You have a position number? who are you dealing with? what city? My representative won't even give me numbers. I'm actually as we speak going to buy from mac connection because it seems that they're going to be getting theirs to me much sooner than emj sounds like they will. They seem totally disinterested in keeping my *business*. The price is practically the same and then I'll keep my one time discount for something *reall* worth it.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by pamelah:
You have a position number? who are you dealing with? what city? My representative won't even give me numbers. I'm actually as we speak going to buy from mac connection because it seems that they're going to be getting theirs to me much sooner than emj sounds like they will. They seem totally disinterested in keeping my *business*. The price is practically the same and then I'll keep my one time discount for something *reall* worth it.
One time? You can buy multiple times with ASD status, can't you?

I'm dealing with a guy named Ron Wicksey out of their Guelph, ON Office. I've been bugging him every few days and he gives me as much info as he can on the order status. I was talking to him a few weeks ago about when I could "realistically" expect shipment and it was then that he told me my position # and told me that he expected second week of April. At the beginning of April, I emailed him again and asked him for an update and that's when he told me that the ETA was changed to unknown.

I've been doing some checking on the pricing and you are right, it is the same but I'm paranoid that if I order from somewhere in the US and there is something wrong with it like bad pixels or crooked hinge or something, I'll have to send it back. That would suck. This way, I can open it right there in the warehouse (I'm going to pick it up) and if it's not perfect, I'm going to ask for another one. That security is worth the wait, I think -- it's still annoying as all hell, but worth it I hope.

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2003, 12:54 PM

One time? You can buy multiple times with ASD status, can't you?

I'm dealing with a guy named Ron Wicksey out of their Guelph, ON Office. I've been bugging him every few days and he gives me as much info as he can on the order status. I was talking to him a few weeks ago about when I could "realistically" expect shipment and it was then that he told me my position # and told me that he expected second week of April. At the beginning of April, I emailed him again and asked him for an update and that's when he told me that the ETA was changed to unknown.

I've been doing some checking on the pricing and you are right, it is the same but I'm paranoid that if I order from somewhere in the US and there is something wrong with it like bad pixels or crooked hinge or something, I'll have to send it back. That would suck. This way, I can open it right there in the warehouse (I'm going to pick it up) and if it's not perfect, I'm going to ask for another one. That security is worth the wait, I think -- it's still annoying as all hell, but worth it I hope.
well good luck to you

are you talking about the student ADC program? If you are then it's a one shot deal. You have to order everything you want now...or forever hold your peace

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 12:57 PM

are you talking about the student ADC program? If you are then it's a one shot deal. You have to order everything you want now...or forever hold your peace
shitty...

A'well... I got everything I wanted, but now I have to figure out a way to get the 23" HDCD when I can afford it!

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 03:07 PM

Still waiting here too. I am a bit hacked off that Apple seem to have shipped mine via ground rather than Fedex (I ordered and paid for it, but because I ordered an extra power adapter at the same time, that got shipped Fedex, but not the PowerBook.) I have absolutely no idea where mine is right now, because SameDay's tracking numbers don't work until the package reaches one of their Canadian sites. Which seems pretty useless, let's face it.
Give Apple a call and they will refund your $31.00.

I just checked Fedex and my 17" was released for delivery at 14:32. Does that give them enough time to get it here today???
My wife tells me I wasn't this excited when we got married!
I denied it of course.

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2003, 03:19 PM

Go pick it up!

ltitle
Apr 8, 2003, 07:06 PM

Same problem here in Eastern Canada,

It is bad enough that my shipping date was extended from on or before Mar 24 to April 2nd. Then, I don't get confirmation of shipping til April 5th. Even worse, like you they changed my order from expedited (FedEX) shipping to ground shipping with SameDay Right Way for some unknown reason. I am told it can take 7 to 10 days before I see it. I don't find it much of a consolation that they credited my 31$ for expedited shipping. Of course, leave it to Apple... they shipped my Apple protection plan two months ago via FedEx before I ever got my 17" but screwed up on the laptop shipping. Seems to be a common problem ...

Maybe Apple US is pissed off that Canada isn't fighting in Iraq. So they're taking it out selectively on us 17" laptop buyers .... yeah right. Well maybe I'll see it by next week.
lawrence

sbe08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2003, 09:10 PM

I received a call today from Microboutique-Inso in Montreal. They just received a 17" Powerbook for display. Also, beginning tomorrow, a new promotion will be offered. They are giving a 64Mb USB drive to all buyers. I wonder if this is for rewarding the patience of 17" buyers...

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 10:31 AM

It's here - just arrived at 10:15. I'm unpacking and will report back later.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by kbdog:
It's here - just arrived at 10:15. I'm unpacking and will report back later.
Congrats! First Canuck reporting with a new 17". Enjoy!

mattnl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 05:39 PM

what about canadian resellers? any news on a store getting any 17"s in?

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by mattnl:
what about canadian resellers? any news on a store getting any 17"s in?
Keep an eye on this thread.

Canadian 17" Powerbooks

Cheers!

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 09:29 PM

Well, it's been a roller coaster ride today. Opening up the packaging was well anticipated thanks to the many who have posted photos already. The overall impression is one of awesome sleekness. The package from Fedex seemed too small somehow. I started taking photographs at first but soon got absorbed in the task of transferring settings and files.
Some early impressions:
The thing is beautiful. Very classy and well engineered. It was fully charged and I proceeded to allow it to run down. Packaging is done with the usual Apple attention to detail.
The power button inside the right speaker was a surprise. I don't think I would have found it without help. The screen is large and perfect - no bad pixels. The trackpad is not my idea of fun and luckily my old Intellimouse plugged right in.
System X is new to me and I was unsure how I would like it. Luckily, it's very similar (on the surface) to 9 although I have trouble finding applications that have retreated to the background.
Internet: a big goal was to get up and running on the Internet. I input the settings from the old machine and plugged in the cable modem and was pleased to see Internet Explorer working. Next I tried setting up Airport and ran into major hurdles. Somehow, I can't get Airport to work and I have tried every combination suggested. The documentation stated that some cable companies are incompatible with Airport. Mine is Rogers so I will call them for help. It seems that the base station doesn't recognize the signal from the cable modem. Email is also a problem. I can't get that to work either despite juggling settings in both Entourage and Mail. The Rogers help people finally got me receiving mail but it's just generic welcome mail messages - not my mail.
Office installed quickly and uninstalled even quicker. Apparently everyone has a trial version which must be removed prior to installing the real thing! Word is faster than in the old Beige! That will be a nice change as my work revolves around Word.
It seems that we still have a long way to go before computers are truly transparent to the user. Hopefully with a fresh start, I will be less bone-headed and more inclined to follow instructions.
The battery lasted the prescribed 2 1/2 hours and charged up without a hitch. The optical drive works nicely and DVDs look awesome.
All in all, I'm not close to where I'd hoped to be on day 1 although I can see great potential. My wife was surprised at the thin profile and (being a PC person) smirked at my difficulties.
Of course, If my day had been wildly successful, she'd want one too...

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 01:46 AM

Well, it's been a roller coaster ride today. Opening up the packaging was well anticipated thanks to the many who have posted photos already. The overall impression is one of awesome sleekness. The package from Fedex seemed too small somehow. I started taking photographs at first but soon got absorbed in the task of transferring settings and files.
Some early impressions:
The thing is beautiful. Very classy and well engineered. It was fully charged and I proceeded to allow it to run down. Packaging is done with the usual Apple attention to detail.
The power button inside the right speaker was a surprise. I don't think I would have found it without help. The screen is large and perfect - no bad pixels. The trackpad is not my idea of fun and luckily my old Intellimouse plugged right in.
System X is new to me and I was unsure how I would like it. Luckily, it's very similar (on the surface) to 9 although I have trouble finding applications that have retreated to the background.
Internet: a big goal was to get up and running on the Internet. I input the settings from the old machine and plugged in the cable modem and was pleased to see Internet Explorer working. Next I tried setting up Airport and ran into major hurdles. Somehow, I can't get Airport to work and I have tried every combination suggested. The documentation stated that some cable companies are incompatible with Airport. Mine is Rogers so I will call them for help. It seems that the base station doesn't recognize the signal from the cable modem. Email is also a problem. I can't get that to work either despite juggling settings in both Entourage and Mail. The Rogers help people finally got me receiving mail but it's just generic welcome mail messages - not my mail.
Office installed quickly and uninstalled even quicker. Apparently everyone has a trial version which must be removed prior to installing the real thing! Word is faster than in the old Beige! That will be a nice change as my work revolves around Word.
It seems that we still have a long way to go before computers are truly transparent to the user. Hopefully with a fresh start, I will be less bone-headed and more inclined to follow instructions.
The battery lasted the prescribed 2 1/2 hours and charged up without a hitch. The optical drive works nicely and DVDs look awesome.
All in all, I'm not close to where I'd hoped to be on day 1 although I can see great potential. My wife was surprised at the thin profile and (being a PC person) smirked at my difficulties.
Of course, If my day had been wildly successful, she'd want one too...
What you need to do to get the airport working is configure the internet side (the side facing Rogers) to accept a DHCP address. It should be an option in the configuration. Most routers have this option as they are multi-purpose to support Static IPs, DHCP Addresses and PPPoE (for DSL). Once this is done, you will need to set up the wireless side to dish out DHCP addresses to anyone who connects and has their laptop configured to accept an IP address automatically. The rest should be gravy.

I've never used an airport myself, but I know lots about networking and I know that the only two steps that you need to worry about (probably the only 1 step, realistically) is configure the internet side of the airport to accept a DHCP address from the modem. DHCP should be configured by default on the lan side (wireless side, that is) and NAT should be configured by default aswell so you shouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff either.

Good luck and let me/us know if you need any more help.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 09:41 AM

What you need to do to get the airport working is configure the internet side (the side facing Rogers) to accept a DHCP address. It should be an option in the configuration. Most routers have this option as they are multi-purpose to support Static IPs, DHCP Addresses and PPPoE (for DSL). Once this is done, you will need to set up the wireless side to dish out DHCP addresses to anyone who connects and has their laptop configured to accept an IP address automatically. The rest should be gravy.

I've never used an airport myself, but I know lots about networking and I know that the only two steps that you need to worry about (probably the only 1 step, realistically) is configure the internet side of the airport to accept a DHCP address from the modem. DHCP should be configured by default on the lan side (wireless side, that is) and NAT should be configured by default aswell so you shouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff either.

Good luck and let me/us know if you need any more help.
Search the Airport discussion at Apple's Airport web site for threads about Rogers. The problem is that Rogers tracks the MAC address (the unique address of your ethernet card). If you hook a new computer to the modem, or a wireless router, Rogers will see a new MAC address, and will deny that device access to the network. My brother had to phone Rogers and ask them to reset the MAC address. Other people have had a lot of difficulty getting this done and have had to try various combinations of lies and threats. In my brother's case, all he had to do was ask. Once they do this, run the Airport setup program, choosing the cable modem option, and you should be good to go.

Cheers!

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by Nephron:
Search the Airport discussion at Apple's Airport web site for threads about Rogers. The problem is that Rogers tracks the MAC address (the unique address of your ethernet card). If you hook a new computer to the modem, or a wireless router, Rogers will see a new MAC address, and will deny that device access to the network. My brother had to phone Rogers and ask them to reset the MAC address. Other people have had a lot of difficulty getting this done and have had to try various combinations of lies and threats. In my brother's case, all he had to do was ask. Once they do this, run the Airport setup program, choosing the cable modem option, and you should be good to go.

Cheers!
\

*Nods* I was going to suggest that aswell, but when he mentioned that the Rogers' tech got him to a point where he was able to check his email, I assumed the MAC had been released already which is why I didn't suggest it.

Speaking of Rogers' and MAC/ARP, the other workaround which has worked for me in the past is to just shut off (unplug power from) the cable modem for a few minutes. Before you power it back up again, connect it to the airport. The power cycle should age out the timers and release the old MAC address, then arp out the MAC of the Airport. Besides, it saves you from having to call Rogers

kbdog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by Nephron:

Cheers!
That's exactly what happened. Rogers asked me to shut down the computer and modem and restart while they cleared the address. Now I'm up and running!!!
Thanks to you and JakBeatZ.
Can I still connect my old Mac to the base station via ethernet?

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 11:19 AM

That's exactly what happened. Rogers asked me to shut down the computer and modem and restart while they cleared the address. Now I'm up and running!!!
Yes, as long as your AP (Access Point/Base Station) has a LAN port on it. If you want to connect multiple computers via wired ethernet (in addition to your one you have now), you will have to get a small 4 port hub or switch which will allow you to connect multiple devices and bring it all back to 1 port on the AP.

You should be fine for just the one though as long as it has a LAN port on it.

Nephron
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2003, 09:37 PM

Thank you! Thank you very much! I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress ....

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules