Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > making mp3s smaller?

making mp3s smaller?
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 02:16 PM

My dad just gave me his old-ish Iomega HipZip, which uses removable 40mb disks. i'd like to fit an album on there, specifically Dark Side of the Moon. in it's present state, most of the songs are at 192kbps and the whole album takes around 50mb. When i convert them to 128kbps, it goes down to about 39.3mb. The formatted capacity of a Clik disk is 38.3mb. Is there anything else i can do (or any programs i can use) that will shave that extra megabyte off? The player can read WMA files, which i hear are smaller. is there any program that will convert mp3 to WMA?

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 02:30 PM

im encoding them in mono right now so they're half the size, but i'd still prefer stereo. this'll work for now, but im still open for suggestions

holygoat
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2003, 03:20 PM

Variable bitrate will give you better quality for a lower filesize. Try that.

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 05:53 PM

yeah i figured out that 112kbps with VBR turned off takes a few mb off and the quality is still better than what my little earbuds can do. making it mono was still inconvenient... it was around 20mb for an album, too small for one whole one and too big for 2, so this works out well. i have 1mb or so free on the disk and a whole album

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 08:51 PM

Just rip the music off the CD at a lower bitrate... hmmm wait... you downloaded them illegally
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

MaxPower2k3  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2003, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Just rip the music off the CD at a lower bitrate... hmmm wait... you downloaded them illegally
actually my dad DOES have the cd of Dark Side of the Moon, so there

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2003, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
im encoding them in mono right now so they're half the size, but i'd still prefer stereo. this'll work for now, but im still open for suggestions
dark side in mono? there ought to be a law against that!
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

warpmoon
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 08:45 AM

Dark side of the moon? Hey, that's where I'm from!

Anyway, since you have the real CD, rip the mp3's from it directly, instead of converting your 192kbps tracks to a lower bitrate. Because if you convert the 192 ones instead of ripping it from the CD you loose even more sound quality than you already have.

You might already have been doing this, but I thought it would be best to point it out anyway.

Forum Links
Forum Rules