Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB 2 on existing aluminum books?

USB 2 on existing aluminum books?
rustyclockwork
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 04:31 PM

The news is that the G4 desktops have an existing chipset that utilizes USB2, but no driver is available yet.

I wonder if that goes for these new powerbooks. Anyone know what chips are on the boards?

Jason

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 04:39 PM

Someone said that in System Profiler it shows USB2.0 host as the USB controller.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by rustyclockwork:
The news is that the G4 desktops have an existing chipset that utilizes USB2, but no driver is available yet.

I wonder if that goes for these new powerbooks. Anyone know what chips are on the boards?

Jason
http://www.createmac.com/html/forum/...0&page_count=1

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 08:32 AM

for some reason I cannot access that site from work, what are they saying in that thread, usb 2.0 upgradeability on the current Al PB's would be a hefty feature.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Someone said that in System Profiler it shows USB2.0 host as the USB controller.
I loked but didn't find anything like that... maybe I do not know where to look...

melman101
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2003, 11:26 AM

same here, i looked but didnt find anything

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by videian28:
for some reason I cannot access that site from work, what are they saying in that thread, usb 2.0 upgradeability on the current Al PB's would be a hefty feature.
Amen. The lack of USB 2.0 in the powerbooks is really disappointing, especially given that you're paying at cheapest $1,800 for a computer that doesn't have a feature which is now standard on all PC motherboards produced. It's a gap that doesn't make any senes to begin with. Apple should have had USB 2.0 on the 15" PB last year.

But an upgrade option would be great! Or if the 12" PB Rev B comes with USB 2.0 (w/ drivers) I'll be happy.

alas...awaiting my 1 GHz G4 1 MB L3 12.1" AluBook.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2003, 11:52 AM

What devices are made for USB 2? Someone enlighten me.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 12:25 PM

USB 2.0 is basicaly useless on a laptop - atleast for me and what I own. I have a whole bunch of USB 1.0 devices and as soon as a single 1.0 device is jacked into a 2.0 bus, the whole bus slows down to 1.0 speeds. Freaking lame. So, to ensure that I get the full 2.0 speed, I'd have to go out and repurchase all my 1.0 devices. Incredibly lame. So, even if my 17" had a 2.0 bus AND if I had a 2.0 device somewhere, I would not be able to use any of my 1.0 devices at the same time. So, can someone tell me how this provides value to me?

Now... lets talk about the FW800 port... fully backwards compatible with 400 devices and a butt-tun faster than USB 2.0. Geeze, what do you think I'm going to buy? USB 2.0 or FW800?

spacedog
Apr 16, 2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by cwasko:
I have a whole bunch of USB 1.0 devices and as soon as a single 1.0 device is jacked into a 2.0 bus, the whole bus slows down to 1.0 speeds. Freaking lame. So, to ensure that I get the full 2.0 speed, I'd have to go out and repurchase all my 1.0 devices. Incredibly lame.
this is especially true considering that the bulk of USB devices - mice, keyboards, other dopey little peripherals - can't even begin to take advantage of the bandwidth provided by USB1.1 and therefore will likely never be converted over to 2.0. Might USB2.0 succeed despite all of these drawbacks? Of course - the spec has much of the PC industry behind it.

I think it would be convenient to have USB2.0 ports on the PBs, but its by no means a deal-killer or, really, even something worth complaining about.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 12:54 PM

well, lemme ask this, if you have 2 seperate usb 2 ports, would it not be tre that you could run all your usb 1 items on one port, and all your usb 2 stuff on another? or do they all come down to the same bus?

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 06:48 PM

well, lemme ask this, if you have 2 seperate usb 2 ports, would it not be tre that you could run all your usb 1 items on one port, and all your usb 2 stuff on another? or do they all come down to the same bus?
Well, sure. If you had two independant usb 2.0 buses, then ya... You could jack all the 1.0 into one and leave the other for pure 2.0. But, then you have to possibly buy more hubs and actualy have to think about what you are putting where. I just can't possibly loathe 2.0 anymore than I do. I mean, WTF? We are into the 2000's here... why on Earth Intel thought it was a good idea to make such crap-ass technology is beyond me. I'm excessivley opinionated on this subject. There is just no possible way you can preach to me that USB2.0 is worth a sh!t. The majority of users in this world will not be aware of this difference and will not be able to gain the benefit of the new technology. Just how is this a service to those users?

So, in summary, USB2.0 is totaly and completely lame and if I never see it in my Mac its not going to bother me a bit. I'd rather have Apple spend those extra resources on something that actualy provides value... oh, wait... they already did: FW800.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2003, 06:53 PM

lets just hope FW 800 catches on as well as USB 2

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 06:58 PM

Indeed. I hope so as well.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 07:13 PM

Doesn't matter. USB 2.0 is only 80Mbps faster than FW. Throw in the fact that you never actually reach the theoretical limit and they quickly become exactly the same. You will never be able to tell the difference between USB 2 and FW. PC users just throw USB 2 out there as a reason Macs suck because it's newer. They don't seem to understand that something that's exactly the same but older is actually better because you've actually been able to USE it.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 07:34 PM

People make a big deal about USB 2 support on the Mac, but honestly, is there really anything out there that needs USB 2 on a mac?

I walk through my local Best Buy, and I see a whole bunch of burners and hard drives that are advertised USB 2, but i know that there are similar models that use Firewire that I could probably find online...

Plus alot of the firewire variants have the luxury of bus power, so no lugging around these annoying power adapters...

People really need to step back for a second. USB 2 is perhaps alot more popular on the PC side because the Firewire adoption has not been 100% like on the Mac side... and they need _some_ fast interface...

That doesn't mean that USB 2 is better or even neccessary on the Mac... we have Firewire which fulfills that role, and is superior in alot of ways with connectivity to every single DV camcorder out there for full quality DV transfers.

So, I'm not really worried about USB 2... Should Apple eventually put them into their machines? Sure. I think we've come to the point where USB 2 controllers are cheap enough that you'd be hard pressed to find a USB 1.1 one, and it would round out the connectivity of the mac more, but its nothing to get excited about.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by DaedalusDX:
People make a big deal about USB 2 support on the Mac, but honestly, is there really anything out there that needs USB 2 on a mac?

I walk through my local Best Buy, and I see a whole bunch of burners and hard drives that are advertised USB 2, but i know that there are similar models that use Firewire that I could probably find online...

Plus alot of the firewire variants have the luxury of bus power, so no lugging around these annoying power adapters...

People really need to step back for a second. USB 2 is perhaps alot more popular on the PC side because the Firewire adoption has not been 100% like on the Mac side... and they need _some_ fast interface...

That doesn't mean that USB 2 is better or even neccessary on the Mac... we have Firewire which fulfills that role, and is superior in alot of ways with connectivity to every single DV camcorder out there for full quality DV transfers.

So, I'm not really worried about USB 2... Should Apple eventually put them into their machines? Sure. I think we've come to the point where USB 2 controllers are cheap enough that you'd be hard pressed to find a USB 1.1 one, and it would round out the connectivity of the mac more, but its nothing to get excited about.
Well, to defend USB2.0 a little bit, it does have the ability to provide bus power, although I don't think that it is the same wattage as FW400/FW800.

Despite my overall loathing for USB2 if it did come in my Mac for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE when compared to a USB1 controller then I would surely take it. USB2 just utterley looses all face when compared to FW800. In the last few days manuafatures have been releasing FW800 devices. This is great news indeed. All of these devices I've seen have 2 FW800 ports an 1 USB2 port. The best of both worlds. The drive can be used on any FW/USB compatible computer - very cool indeed.

Also, some good stuff about FW: Imgine having some FW800 ports on your servers and using the TCP/FW networking extension to OSX... whoa baby. When ever Apple releases that extension as final I plan on networking my servers together for a LAN soley for my servers to communicate to eachother. Since USB1/2 use a good amount of the CPU to process the data, this is hardly a reality. Since FW has its own dedicated chip this is a reality.

Anyway. I think I'm done beating USB2 up. If it actualy supported full speed with 1.0 devices, I'd probably actualy like it. But since it doesn't... it blows.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 08:05 PM

Now... lets talk about the FW800 port... fully backwards compatible with 400 devices and a butt-tun faster than USB 2.0. Geeze, what do you think I'm going to buy? USB 2.0 or FW800?
It's not a question of immediate practicality but a question of availability. Think about it this way: how often do you plug in more than one USB device that sucks up bandwidth? How many external USB 2.0 drives would you be transferring gigabytes worth of data to simultaneously? Rarely can I see myself downloading digital video from a DV camcorder while at the same time copying my Band of Brothers Divx to my USB 2.0 backup drive 1 and my collection of Family Guy episodes to my USB 2.0 backup drive 2. The argument that using multiple devices eats bandwidth simply isn't concrete becaust most applications don't chew up bandwidth _all_ the time. How much bandwidth does a mouse use in sending x,y coordinates and clicking information?

Another argument is availability. Say I am given an external hard drive by my girlfriend and it's USB 2.0, not Firewire. Well, my Powerbook only has USB 1.1 so either I use it at horribly slow speeds or I have to exchange it. It would be nice to have the _option_.

Additionally, last I checked, there were many more USB 2.0 devices than FireWire 800. Prove me wrong. I understand your devotion to Apple and its infallability, but devil's advocate here people...

Finally, if your argument is merely "there aren't enough USB 2.0 devices to warrant the USB 2.0 connection", then also consider your Gigabit NIC on your powerbook. How many times have you plugged it into a Gigabit router? Exactly my point. But aren't you happy to know that you'll be ready when that day comes?
( Last edited by mcs37; Apr 16, 2003 at 08:11 PM. )

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by mcs37:
Rarely can I see myself downloading digital video from a DV camcorder while at the same time copying my Band of Brothers Divx to my USB 2.0 backup drive 1 and my collection of Family Guy episodes to my USB 2.0 backup drive 2. The argument that using multiple devices eats bandwidth simply isn't concrete becaust most applications don't chew up bandwidth _all_ the time. How much bandwidth does a mouse use in sending x,y coordinates and clicking information?
Well... just to play devils advocate... you COULDN'T use USB 2.0 to interface and download DV video off of a camcorder . Must use Firewire.

Finally, if your argument is merely "there aren't enough USB 2.0 devices to warrant the USB 2.0 connection", then also consider your Gigabit NIC on your powerbook. How many times have you plugged it into a Gigabit router? Exactly my point. But aren't you happy to know that you'll be ready when that day comes?
I've used the Gigabit on my Powerbook G4 on many occasions. Definitely enough times to warrant its presence there. Plug one end of a CAT 5e cable into the powerbook, and another into a nearby PowerMac G4 and instant crossover at 1 Gb/sec, and Rendezvous support. Its awesome...

We'll get USB 2.0 soon enough. I don't see it as a priority though.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 09:14 PM

It's not a question of immediate practicality but a question of availability. Think about it this way: how often do you plug in more than one USB device that sucks up bandwidth? How many external USB 2.0 drives would you be transferring gigabytes worth of data to simultaneously? Rarely can I see myself downloading digital video from a DV camcorder while at the same time copying my Band of Brothers Divx to my USB 2.0 backup drive 1 and my collection of Family Guy episodes to my USB 2.0 backup drive 2. The argument that using multiple devices eats bandwidth simply isn't concrete becaust most applications don't chew up bandwidth _all_ the time. How much bandwidth does a mouse use in sending x,y coordinates and clicking information?

Another argument is availability. Say I am given an external hard drive by my girlfriend and it's USB 2.0, not Firewire. Well, my Powerbook only has USB 1.1 so either I use it at horribly slow speeds or I have to exchange it. It would be nice to have the _option_.

Additionally, last I checked, there were many more USB 2.0 devices than FireWire 800. Prove me wrong. I understand your devotion to Apple and its infallability, but devil's advocate here people...

OK. Time for an education.

It is not a matter of the devices eating up BW. It is a matter of the 1.0 devices forcing the FASTER 2.0 device to SLOW down to the 1.0 speeds. So, to spell it out: when a USB2 bus has a 1.0 and a 2.0 device plugged into it, even the 2.0 device will go as pitifully slow as the 1.0 device. I could really give a rats ass who came up with the technology. FW800 is magnitudes better than USB2.

However, you bring up valid points of availability. But, you also fail to recognive that most devices now that have FW and USB on the same device, so you can plug that device into a FW OR USB compatible computer. I stated this in my last post, but I stated it again for clarity.

Time for an overview: USB 1.0 and 2.0 devices are compatible with either bus. FW400 and FW800 devices are compatible with either bus. But, a USB1 device will force the bus to a meager 14MBs where as a FW400 on a FW800 will still allow the FW800 device to run at their designed speed.

mcs37
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 09:26 PM

However, you bring up valid points of availability. But, you also fail to recognive that most devices now that have FW and USB on the same device, so you can plug that device into a FW OR USB compatible computer. I stated this in my last post, but I stated it again for clarity.
I still hold strongly to my original argument that having the _option_ of USB 2.0 would be nice in a $3,300 computer. I don't think you can buy a new PC nowadays without USB 2.0. Apple has always been ahead of the rest in terms of new technologies (e.g. wireless networking, bluetooth), so why couldn't they put USB 2.0 in as well? You want to have the option in your computer to accomodate whatever the next 18 months are going to throw at you (estimated peak time of value in your laptop's life), and it would be great to be able to accept FW or USB 2.0.

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 09:30 PM

That sounds like a pretty big if to me. Plus, what's wrong with exchanging it? I know that's a bit of an issue right after Christmas, but other than that I don't see what the big deal is. Even if that did happen, it's still not a a good enough argument that say that you'll never buy a Mac until it has USB 2.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 10:37 PM

Well, basicaly, I'm not going to protest to Apple not to put USB2 in it. But, I'm sure as heck not going to advocate it. If there are people that are out there that want it.. .than have a blast, but I sure won't be happy if I have to pay more just to have it.

My next computer will probably be in about 2 years from now. By then, there will probably be USB3 and FW1600 and I'm sure there will be all sorts of arguments as to why they both suck. So, till then.. I'm sticking with USB2 sucks when compared to FW.

weldon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 01:42 PM

I'd like to see USB 2.0 across the entire product line simply to better support the new scanners. Very few support firewire, but all the new ones appear to run on USB 2.0. I think the extra bus speed would help here.

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2003, 01:57 PM

what happens in the PC world dictates what how the world supports new products, that's the bottom line (I don't like it any more than you do,) and why would you not include something that could be one less reason for PC users not to "switch"

Jayman20
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 02:27 PM

copying my Band of Brothers Divx to my USB 2.0 backup drive 1 and my collection of Family Guy episodes.
Arguments aside you have great taste in TV Programming..

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2003, 02:31 PM

OK. Time for an education.

It is not a matter of the devices eating up BW. It is a matter of the 1.0 devices forcing the FASTER 2.0 device to SLOW down to the 1.0 speeds. So, to spell it out: when a USB2 bus has a 1.0 and a 2.0 device plugged into it, even the 2.0 device will go as pitifully slow as the 1.0 device. I could really give a rats ass who came up with the technology. FW800 is magnitudes better than USB2.

Time for an overview: USB 1.0 and 2.0 devices are compatible with either bus. FW400 and FW800 devices are compatible with either bus. But, a USB1 device will force the bus to a meager 14MBs where as a FW400 on a FW800 will still allow the FW800 device to run at their designed speed.
From my understanding, this is wrong.

Do you have a source to back up your claim that if you connect a USB 1.1 device to a USB 2.0 hub, that all devices will slow to 12 Mbps?
( Last edited by Maneki Neko; Apr 17, 2003 at 02:40 PM. )

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 04:05 PM

OK, now I an confused

I thought FW800 devices and FW400 devices were not compatable as the sockets are different.

I also thought that USB 1 devices could not go up to USB 2 speeds, as cwasko said above.

If its USB 2 or Firewire 400/800, it is almost useless to go more than 400mbs because the hard drives that come in the current macs (at least the powerbooks) can't write fast enough to take advantage of the speed! Go Apple

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Maneki Neko:
From my understanding, this is wrong.

Do you have a source to back up your claim that if you connect a USB 1.1 device to a USB 2.0 hub, that all devices will slow to 12 Mbps?
Actualy, no. It was something I read about USB2 a long time ago - when it was first released. Do you have a source to back up your claim that my claim is incorrect?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:

I thought FW800 devices and FW400 devices were not compatable as the sockets are different.
I just learned about the Belkins cable you can get at the apple store to make your FW400 & FW800 compatible, so no more confusion here.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by gururafiki:

I also thought that USB 1 devices could not go up to USB 2 speeds, as cwasko said above.

If its USB 2 or Firewire 400/800, it is almost useless to go more than 400mbs because the hard drives that come in the current macs (at least the powerbooks) can't write fast enough to take advantage of the speed! Go Apple
FW 400 & 800 are compatible. You just have to have an adapter to make the different plugs fit.

USB1 devices cannot exceed USB1 speeds. USB2 devices can be plugged into a USB1 bus and still work, however, at the slower speed. A USB1 device plugged into a USB2 bus will slow the entire bus down to USB1 speeds, regardless of what version the devices on the bus are (very much like SCSI).

Well, if you had a FW RAID, I'm sure you could saturate the 400 quite quickly. Also, there is a substantial benefit when using IP over FW800. There would also be a benefit if you were doing DV type work and had alot of devices on FW. There are many distinct reasons why you want your bus faster than the devices that use it... as long as the devices that use it can simultaneously use the BW.

jindrich
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2003, 04:14 PM

hey when did it hurt to have OPTIONS to choose from?
Macs were the first to have usb 1.0 on board, but the none yet supports 2.0, when EVERY pc out there has it. (and that's why usb2 gagdetry -hd, scanners..-is so cheap now, because is standardised)

we live in a mixed world, and share peripherals among computers. Macs needs usb 2.0 now. period.

cwasko
Senior User
Apr 17, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by jindrich:
hey when did it hurt to have OPTIONS to choose from?
Macs were the first to have usb 1.0 on board, but the none yet supports 2.0, when EVERY pc out there has it. (and that's why usb2 gagdetry -hd, scanners..-is so cheap now, because is standardised)

we live in a mixed world, and share peripherals among computers. Macs needs usb 2.0 now. period.
Macs do indeed support USB2. Just go buy the card. Additionaly, all USB2 devices will work on your USB1 Mac, just not at the higher speed.

So why is the lack of built-in USB2 support on the Mac so traumatic? I'd rather have a FW device than a USBx.x device anyday - not becasue FW is an Apple tech.. but because it is simply a better technology.

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2003, 04:35 PM

FW 400 & 800 are compatible. You just have to have an adapter to make the different plugs fit.

USB1 devices cannot exceed USB1 speeds. USB2 devices can be plugged into a USB1 bus and still work, however, at the slower speed. A USB1 device plugged into a USB2 bus will slow the entire bus down to USB1 speeds, regardless of what version the devices on the bus are (very much like SCSI).

Well, if you had a FW RAID, I'm sure you could saturate the 400 quite quickly. Also, there is a substantial benefit when using IP over FW800. There would also be a benefit if you were doing DV type work and had alot of devices on FW. There are many distinct reasons why you want your bus faster than the devices that use it... as long as the devices that use it can simultaneously use the BW.
How do you use IP over firewire?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2003, 05:39 PM

Note that in a recent series of tests, FireWire 400 (the OLD kind) beat USB 2.0 consistently by about 70% in real-world transfer speeds.

Not only is USB 2's backwards compatibility half-assed, nooo - run it as inte(l)nded under ideal conditions, and it STILL sucks.

Unfortunately, I don't have the link anymore.

Oh, and re: IP over Firewire -
Apple released beta drivers a little while ago.

They've gone, but it's sure to be slated for inclusion in "FutureRelease".

-s*

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 02:19 AM

Actualy, no. It was something I read about USB2 a long time ago - when it was first released. Do you have a source to back up your claim that my claim is incorrect?
I can't find any source that directly refutes what you say, but in searching the web and USENET, I can't find anything that supports what you said either.

However, this document indicates that each device negotiates the proper speed with a USB 2.0 hub.

http://www.usb.org/developers/usb20/...rs/usb_20g.pdf

Is that enough proof for the short term, until you can confirm your claim?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that USB 2.0 is a faster, better technology than firewire. I don't think that USB 2.0 is a replacement technology for Firewire 400 or 800. What I do think is that USB 2.0 would be a great low cost complement to Firewire 400 & 800 on the Mac. For many devices, USB 2.0 will be fast enough, and USB 2.0 devices have a definite price advantage over Firewire.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2003, 12:53 PM

FYI, I recently installed an Orange Micro USB 2 PCI card in my G4: on their site (see the previous link), they explicitly state that

[...] OrangeUSB 2.0 supports USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices connected simultaneously with no loss in performance of either.

By experiment, I've found this to be true (by burning CDs with Toast Titanium and a LaCie U&I - that is, USB 2 + FireWire - CD burner, while at the same time having an USB 1.1 Logitech wireless keyboard on the same card); the real problem is that Orange Micro's latest drivers (version 3.1) are really crappy (boot problems) - but that's another story...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2003, 01:25 PM

FYI, I recently installed an Orange Micro USB 2 PCI card in my G4: on their site (see the previous link), they explicitly state that

[...] OrangeUSB 2.0 supports USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 devices connected simultaneously with no loss in performance of either.

By experiment, I've found this to be true (by burning CDs with Toast Titanium and a LaCie U&I - that is, USB 2 + FireWire - CD burner, while at the same time having an USB 1.1 Logitech wireless keyboard on the same card); the real problem is that Orange Micro's latest drivers (version 3.1) are really crappy (boot problems) - but that's another story...
I believe that refers to the fact that you can put USB 1.1 into the first port and USB 2.0 into the second port with no loss of performance. However, as soon as you connect a hub to either port and connect USB 1 and 2 to the hub, all devices on the hub will be reduced to the 1.1 speed.

This is what an earlier comment referred to. You basically have to keep your USB 1 segregated on one port or else they will bring down the speed of any USB 2 devices.

Of course, this is just what I hear. I really don't know.
( Last edited by jtbowden; Apr 18, 2003 at 02:05 PM. )

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 04:14 PM

I believe that refers to the fact that you can put USB 1.1 into the first port and USB 2.0 into the second port with no loss of performance. However, as soon as you connect a hub to either port and connect USB 1 and 2 to the hub, all devices on the hub will be reduced to the 1.1 speed.
Well the card has 4 USB ports, so it's not that big a of a deal.
You're going have to buy a new Hub anyway to support USB 2.0, so if you already have a whole bunch of USB 1.1 devices plugged into a USB 1.1 hub - you're going to have to use another port/hub anyway.

Something that nobody has touched upon in this thread, is that the nature of how USB and Firewire work are infact very different.

Firewire is designed to handle sustainable data rates, so it can constantly pass data at a consistant rate, which is needed for things like streaming video. It also has a seperate control bus (this is how it interfaces with DV devices) - and all the devices are linked in a chain, bandwidth is shared in a linear fashion (such as SCSI).

USB is designed to handle burst data rates, it passes data through small sporadic bursts (this is no good for DV) - it also has to deal with backwards compatibility with much slower 12mbits devices and devices have to fight for bandwidth against other devices.

It's very clear here, when it comes to passing large amounts of data in a consistant fashion, Firewire is the winner. Firewire 400 beats USB 2.0 hands down this arena - and Firewire 800 which is basically Firewire over Cat5 cable is not the end either - Firewire is planned to be able to handle data at the speed of Gigabits per second over optical cable.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
This is what an earlier comment referred to. You basically have to keep your USB 1 segregated on one port or else they will bring down the speed of any USB 2 devices.
As long as you're using USB 2.0 hubs, you should be fine with mixing devices.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2003, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by Maneki Neko:
As long as you're using USB 2.0 hubs, you should be fine with mixing devices.
What USB drive are we talking about USB sux its all about firewire and firewire800. USB is good for a keyboard and a mouse. What more can you do even with harddrives fire wire is about the same speeds. 6 pins vs 4 pins. humm I wonder.

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 19, 2003, 05:14 AM

UPDATE

It is claimed these drivers will enable USB 2.0 on the new MDD Powermacs.

Anybody wish to try them out? I have a new MDD Dual 1.25Ghz (FW800) at work, but no USB 2.0 devices to test it with

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2003, 08:10 PM

I think everyone has discussed everything BUT the initial question, and that's whether or not there is the hardware to support USB2 in the AlBooks.

Sure you can add it on with a PC Card in a 17", but that's not quite possible on the 12".

Sure there are pros and cons to USB and Firewire, but regardless it'd be nicer to have a "free" upgrade to USB2 if it's built into our systems already.

But as far as I'm concernd I haven't seen anything in the Apple System Profiler that would indicate that there is support for USB2.
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by SplijinX:
I think everyone has discussed everything BUT the initial question, and that's whether or not there is the hardware to support USB2 in the AlBooks.

Sure you can add it on with a PC Card in a 17", but that's not quite possible on the 12".

Sure there are pros and cons to USB and Firewire, but regardless it'd be nicer to have a "free" upgrade to USB2 if it's built into our systems already.

But as far as I'm concernd I haven't seen anything in the Apple System Profiler that would indicate that there is support for USB2.
I think the powermacs are the only machines currently with usb 2 capable hardware. The powerbooks, unfortunately, don't seem to have the hardware...unless the apple system profilers is wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules