Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Trying to see a 17" pb in UK - hopeless!

Trying to see a 17" pb in UK - hopeless!
Mr Creosote
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 05:40 AM

<Start of negative vibes>

Very interested in buying a 17inch and just want to see it in the flesh for myself before I make that final decision. Apple referred me to John Lewis.
The local John Lewis doesn't even sells computers, so called a large store about 40 miles away, if anyone will have them, it will be them. Helpful, but no 17inch demonstrator, so I can't even go and see one, and no expected deliveries until May.

Look Mr Apple, I've bought a Tibook and am doing my best to switch but in a fast moving world such as computers to announce a product in January and not even have a demonstrator available to view 3 months later is pretty useless.

This isn't really a whinge, just frustrated that I cannot even go anywhere and see one in person. I am not exactly Mr Patient and what little patience I had is running out. If Apple want us PC users to switch then at least make it reasonably viable for us (well I mean me actually!) to do so.

Mumble, mumble, mumble......

</End of negative vibes>

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 05:58 AM

I, too, have been constantly calling all the apple centres and resellers over the last couple of weeks.

Apparently only 400 pb17" have actually been shipped to the uk, and the apple centres have only received 1 unit each, which, of course, they have sold.

I wouldn't hold your breath until the end of April at the earliest.

I have 3 orders, two at apple centres and one at Computer Warehouse. All are quoting me mid-end April which, personally, I think is pessimistic.

Anyone else know where we can see, let alone buy, a powerbook 17 inch? Does anyone have one in the Birmingham area they would let me see?

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 06:10 AM

Here's some good news. I ordered from the UK Apple Store on the 7th April and I have just received my shipping notification e-mail from Apple, (9th April)

I checked the shipping tracker and it says it's on its way to Luxembourg and should be with me by Friday, latest Monday the 13th!!!!

To see a 17" in action, go to the Ideal Home show as Apple have a stand there. Not sure of the dates but I think it's on for about a month or so.

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 06:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Creosote:
[B]<Start of negative vibes>

I did manage to view a 17" Powerbook at MacWarehouse - There was one on display around the end of March.
I have ordered mine on the 31st March but still no news from Apple Store.
This will be my first ever expirence with Apple after being loyal to the PC industry for over 10 years.
I am really looking forward to receiving it.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 9, 2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by schuey100:
Here's some good news. I ordered from the UK Apple Store on the 7th April and I have just received my shipping notification e-mail from Apple, (9th April)

I checked the shipping tracker and it says it's on its way to Luxembourg and should be with me by Friday, latest Monday the 13th!!!!

To see a 17" in action, go to the Ideal Home show as Apple have a stand there. Not sure of the dates but I think it's on for about a month or so.
You ordered Monday and you're getting it Friday//Monday!!!?? You can't be serious. Maybe I should place an order at the apple store.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 06:28 AM

I swear on my life. I couldn't believe it either. I have the full details of the order and will e-mail them to you. Just respond to the message I sent.

Cheers

Schuey

Mr Creosote  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 06:29 AM

If the only way I can get to see an Apple product is to have to take the whole day out, and the expense of travel and entry fees to the Ideal Home show on the basis of a rumour that they may have one is simply just not a viable way for a vendor to demonstrate a product.

I'm sorely dissapointed. I am a realist and don't expect any special treatment but I do expect to receive the same standard of service/supply in the UK that seemingly the rest of the world is enjoying. If this is a taste of Apple's commitment to the UK what on earth is their level of support in the UK likely to be?!

More mumble mumble mutter mutter .......

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 9, 2003, 06:40 AM

Here's my shipping e-mail:

(Actually, best take it away in case Apple decide to lengthen my delivery for making my good fortune public.)

Getting very paranoid.
( Last edited by schuey100; Apr 9, 2003 at 06:58 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2003, 09:10 AM

Have you tried Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road in London?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Have you tried Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road in London?
They have one on display, been there for 3 weeks. None for sale though and all the first batch are reserved.

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 11:41 AM

I'm pretty sure that the Apple Centre on Oxford Street (beyond Tottenham Court Road) has one too.

jia_zhuang
Apr 9, 2003, 11:50 AM

I just got my this morning. Ordered on the 22nd of Jan tho. I live in london.

american_whale
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by jia_zhuang:
I just got my this morning. Ordered on the 22nd of Jan tho. I live in london.
How long did wa the shipping time?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 9, 2003, 12:08 PM

I've seen one at the Micro Anvika on Tottenham Ct. Rd. (the one nearest the intersection with Oxford St.) but nowhere else. The Apple Centre on New Oxford St. didn't have one yesterday when I was there.

jia_zhuang
Apr 9, 2003, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by american_whale:
How long did wa the shipping time?
4 days was shipped out on the saturday, got here on the wednesday. So 4 days, 3 working days if u dont count the weekend. I'm getting a replacement tho cos there is a dead pixel on the screen so they are shipping another one to me. Build time now is 2-4 days for the 17" so should get here early to mid next week.

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by jia_zhuang:
4 days was shipped out on the saturday, got here on the wednesday. So 4 days, 3 working days if u dont count the weekend. I'm getting a replacement tho cos there is a dead pixel on the screen so they are shipping another one to me. Build time now is 2-4 days for the 17" so should get here early to mid next week.
The last message on this list was over a week ago. So anyone in the UK got a 17" yet? I'm on a few waiting lists but no delivery times forthcoming! if you've got a machine how do you like it?

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 08:14 AM

I called Apple this morning and was assured that it was out for delivery today. The lady assured me it would be here around lunchtime. As soon as I have it in my hands I'll post back here.

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 08:57 AM

Word of warning, avoid Cancom or any other reseller who wont meet Apples returns policy. In the UK usually best to buy direct from Apple. Isnt there an Apple center in leeds?

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 09:37 AM

Still no sign...Grrrrrr.

Patiently waiting. I wonder what the latest time that Irish Express deliver is?!?! Not sure I can wait much longer.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2003, 11:11 AM

Nothing in the UK yet. End of April, maybe. Nothing till then.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 11:15 AM

Well I now have the 17" Albook in my hands. Too excited to talk but will come back later.

Yeahhhhhhh

PS, 6 days from order to delivery..amazing.

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 11:15 AM

My powerbook 17in was ordered 31/03/03 and was shipped from the Far east last Thursday.
I should receive it either today or tomorrow.
The tracking shows symbols that don't make much sense to me (EDC, MDC, etc...)
Will keep you posted

robrandtoul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 12:10 PM

I got fed up with waiting so I flew to LA and bought one at the Pasadena Apple Store. Also got some business done while I was there. Why is the UK always so far behind the US?
http://www.plasmadesign.co.uk

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2003, 12:20 PM

Brilliant, that's really all I can manage to say. I can't believe how nice this thing is. Only problem so far is how easy it is to get it dirty with fingerprints but hey, they wipe off.

More soon

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 04:41 AM

OK guys...

I had 3 orders with various places, couple of Apple Centres and Computer Warehouse. All kept delaying my order.

So I ordered a base machine on the apple store yesterday, and guess what - IT SHIPPED THE VERY NEXT DAY (I.E. TODAY) FROM IRELAND!!

So do as me and Schuey, and order from the apple store.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 04:49 AM

Good news jocker!!

I agree, order from Apple directly. I think mine was a turnaround of about 6 days from order to delivery

jia_zhuang
Apr 16, 2003, 09:03 AM

LOL I got one last thursday, it had some problems so I asked for a replacement, I got the new one today, so two 17" in one week, thats pretty good.

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2003, 02:44 PM

OK, I've taken the advice of the last posters and have ordered directly through the Apple Store.

Order placed today 17th April. lets see how well they do and who wins the delivery race (apple, John Lewis, Micro Anvika or my local dealer).

I'll be in contact :-)

Glamdring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 08:46 AM

Hey wuf....

Keep us posted. Am in exactly the same situation as you, and in a last final act of desperation have placed an order at the apple Store UK...

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2003, 01:46 PM

Hi all, just received Shipment Notification from Apple:

Therefore Order Place : 17/4/03 (nb my order indicated a build time of 2 - 3 weeks)

Shipment Date : 19/4/03 (no indication of estimated arrival)

Lets see how long it takes to get from Taiwan - I hope its flying.

I'll keep you informed of its travels.

Michael.

PS John Lewis, Micro Anvika and local reseller still have no machines.

Glamdring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 04:26 AM

Brilliant!

Hey wuf can you keep us posted and post here exactly when it arrives ie how long the shipping took?? I am hoping to transfer my funds to the Apple Store on Tues..and wondering if theres a chance i might get it the next Monday or earlier...

please...please...pleasee

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 05:49 AM

my powerbook left Taiwain on 10/04/03 and I received it on 16/04/03.
The best notebook I have ever owned todate.
Can anyone advise on best Broadband provider in the UK.
Thanks

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 07:33 AM

Glamdring - Will do.

am1ne - check out www.adslguide.org

Personally I use Freedom2Surf - small but efficient broadband provider.

In my experience most problems are to do with the modem/router used. Hermstedt's Web Shuttle DLS is pretty good and very easy to set up but it is a modem not a router.

Hope this helps. Michael.

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2003, 11:17 AM

thank you for your help..
will check the guide and decide what to choose.

jocker
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2003, 08:35 AM

Hi it took my powerbook 17" 4 working days to arrive at my door from the apple store.

I ordered last Tuesday, and it arrived this morning at 9am. Don't forget that Friday and Monday were Bank holidays.

THAT'S EFFICIENT!!

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 09:06 AM

For Broadband try Nildram. They are also small but fantastic. They are the fastest ISP out there as shown in the speedtests on ADSLGuide. Very cheap too. �22/month for 512.

am1ne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2003, 10:30 AM

Thanks Schuey.
I am considering using Nildram.
With my PC i was set up with Tiscali but they don't support Mac and they are not too good anyway.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2003, 10:33 AM

I was also with Tiscali/Lineone and they were ok. Went with Nildram due to their excellent Mac support. Really nice guys.

I've been with them for a year and the service hasn't been down once. always at top speeds.

They also reccomended these guys for the router:

http://www.dslsource.co.uk

I went for the speedtouch 530. Also very good and compact.

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 23, 2003, 01:36 PM

Latest news on my order.

Well according to the tracking information my powerbook is stuck in Luxembourg going through customs (apparently this is the main route into the european union). The other item I ordered on the same order is already in the UK.

Order Date 17/4/03

Shipping Date 19/4/03

Luxembourg 23/4/03

I might, but secretly doubt, that it will arrive before the weekend.

Still no news from retailers so I can only assume the Apple Store is still the quickest route to get the machine in the UK.

Regards, Michael

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2003, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by wuf810:
Latest news on my order.

Well according to the tracking information my powerbook is stuck in Luxembourg going through customs (apparently this is the main route into the european union). The other item I ordered on the same order is already in the UK.

Order Date 17/4/03

Shipping Date 19/4/03

Luxembourg 23/4/03

I might, but secretly doubt, that it will arrive before the weekend.

Still no news from retailers so I can only assume the Apple Store is still the quickest route to get the machine in the UK.

Regards, Michael
It took mine 48 hours from the time it arrived in Luxembourg. It'll be here for the weekend easy. Best of luck

wuf810
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 07:58 AM

Its arrived! Can't believe I'm so excited to be honest.

Anyway the lowdown is that it is definately quicker to get one of these via the Apple Store.

Just over a week door to door (in a bank holiday week as well).

Spoke to my dealer yesterday and he is fuming as he has had two on order since the day after they were announced.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice/recount of experiences. Must go now and play.

Regards, Michael.

Forum Links
Forum Rules