Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 10.2 - IE loses preferences after logout?

10.2 - IE loses preferences after logout?
redhot_nyc
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 05:34 AM

I have this problem on my 2 Macs, clean install of 10.2.5

IE loses all preferences after logout, including cookies. Only bookmarks seem to remain.

Thanks ppl
(I'm sure this is a common problem but searching turned up nothing)

Scifience
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 09:43 AM

Here is how to fix it:

Open Internet Explorer. Go to http://www.apple.com/. Download Safari. Quit Internet Explorer. Open Applications folder. Drag Internet Explorer to trash. Empty trash.

Seriously, though, is there a reason why a different browser won't work for you? You may want to try using Disk Utility to fix permissions.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2003, 12:26 PM

redhot_nyc:
I bet you're using Entourage v.X, too?

(There's a known conflict between IE and Entourage v.X in accessing the same com.apple.internetconfig.plist file to store cookies and preferences. When you quit Entourage (e.g. on logout) it overwrites all the preferences back to what they were when it was launched.)

A work-around for IE is to Quit Entourage before launching IE, set IE's preferences and visit any websites you want to have set permanent cookies, then Quit IE (to save the preferences and cookies). Or, always remember to quit Entourage before you Quit IE.

Or, use Safari, Camino, Mozilla, OmniWeb, Netscape, Opera, or iCab for your main browser, though you'll still need IE for a few sites.

redhot_nyc  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 04:33 PM

not using Entourage X. only other MS software is Messenger...
am using Safari personally but still would like to get to the bottom of the problem.
( Last edited by redhot_nyc; Apr 30, 2003 at 04:42 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules