Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > any os x programmers got skills

any os x programmers got skills (Page 2)
moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
May 5, 2003, 08:48 PM

Well, it is possible someone might take him up on his offer, and I wasn't intending to be harsh, but the reality is that ideas in the software business (and many businesses) are not worth much, unfortunately.

Many companies won't even listen to your ideas, because they don't want to get involved with potential lawsuits if they are working on something similar already.

If he wanted to *fund* the development of said product as well as offer a percentage of sales, then I'm sure developers might be interested.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

ambush
Banned
May 5, 2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by tikki:
You didn't release the object

Besides, shouldn't there be an @ before the quotes?

Why release the object? He didn't specify if it's autoreleased

@"foo" is for a constant NSString, however, I have to agree that passing a C string to a NSObject(?) is weird.

OK IT'S THE LAST TIME I POST

this is wayyyyy tooo offff-topic

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2003, 09:38 PM

Blah I forgot the @... now, who was it that said Objective-C/Cocoa is easy!?!?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by itai195:
Blah I forgot the @... now, who was it that said Objective-C/Cocoa is easy!?!?
It is easy. You're just a dork.

Sarah31
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 12:52 AM

heck i wish i could get a response for my thread even if it is just even though alot of this thread is repetitive.

i guess no one wants to help out for free but throw the promise of wealth out and you get loads of answers.

anyway i think OS X NEEDS a version of cdparanioa. if someone wants to recode it to work on OS X i will pay you ... with loads of praise and gratitude. if i had coding skills (working on that) i would do it (and answer my own thread). that way i could use my favorite linux ogg ripping encoding app.

kzmk
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 06:43 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Well, it is possible someone might take him up on his offer, and I wasn't intending to be harsh, but the reality is that ideas in the software business (and many businesses) are not worth much, unfortunately.

Many companies won't even listen to your ideas, because they don't want to get involved with potential lawsuits if they are working on something similar already.

If he wanted to *fund* the development of said product as well as offer a percentage of sales, then I'm sure developers might be interested.
so... where do you go if you got a great idea?

see, moki, i was in the exact same position that guy's in six months ago. i asked in forums and mailinglists and sent out mails to small companies/programmers who already had experience in the field the app's in.

granted, i gave away a bit -- the direction, but not the whole idea. and then i did the whole conceptual stuff, the interface, documentation, etc., and let my programmer do the coding.

we're two weeks from release now, and the two of us became a group of four.

just wanted to chime in to tell everybody that this guy's approach DOES in fact work...
All kinds of Utopian plans were flashing through his (B's) busy brain...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2003, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by kzmk:

see, moki, i was in the exact same position that guy's in six months ago. i asked in forums and mailinglists and sent out mails to small companies/programmers who already had experience in the field the app's in.

granted, i gave away a bit -- the direction, but not the whole idea. and then i did the whole conceptual stuff, the interface, documentation, etc., and let my programmer do the coding.

just wanted to chime in to tell everybody that this guy's approach DOES in fact work...
Well, in that case, it sounds like you actually did a bunch of useful work on the app. This guy hasn't promised to work on the interface or documentation or anything... just to give his idea.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

eno
Banned
May 6, 2003, 09:59 AM

A URL?

Until you give us some material, your post is nothing more than hot air.

kzmk
Forum Regular
May 6, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by eno:
A URL?

Until you give us some material, your post is nothing more than hot air.
huh?

url for what? the original postings, the app or our history?

can't give you neither, since i won't dig through all the sites and mail-archives, the app's not released yet (and why spoil the fun?), and we don't have a weblog that tracks our staff-history.

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Well, in that case, it sounds like you actually did a bunch of useful work on the app. This guy hasn't promised to work on the interface or documentation or anything... just to give his idea
you're right, but then again: where should he go? that's all i'm saying.

about the "useful work": i believe that the concept is at least as important as the coding. and damn, documentation is the worst part...

tikki
Mac Elite
May 6, 2003, 11:20 AM

Start a sourceforge project.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2003, 12:25 PM

Well, he could post right here. Except that next time, he should tell what the app idea is, so that people would know if they were interested or not. The whole problem here is that he wants to keep this idea secret.

about the "useful work": i believe that the concept is at least as important as the coding. and damn, documentation is the worst part...
I agree about documentation. Argh.

About the concept, though, lots of people have app ideas. In fact, probably everyone on this board has at least one idea for some app or other. It's a lot easier to dream about what app you want than it is to actually code it. I don't want to imply that it's a bad thing to dream up ideas - it certainly isn't - but this guy shouldn't expect to get paid just to give an app idea.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

type_r503
May 6, 2003, 12:48 PM

Is it bigger than a bread box?
I be that insane n***a from the psycho ward.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2003, 03:32 PM

Naming new screenshots?

Let's see:

Code:
on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items tell application "Finder" repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items set this_file to item i of these_items set the_name to the name of this_file if (the_name contains "Picture " and the_name contains ".pdf") then display dialog "Name new screenshot:" default answer the_name buttons {"OK"} default button 1 set the_new_name to the text returned of the result if (the_new_name is not the_name) then set the name of this_file to the_new_name end if end if end repeat end tell end adding folder items to
Save this as executable script in Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ enable folder actions and attach it to the desktop folder.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 01:03 AM

hey sorry you guys. i posted this after needing mad sleep workin on a database for a client and forgot i posted it. i never checked that email, i should have put a different one. sorry.

i am not trying to swindle anyone at all. i said just what i would offer and was askin if anyone was interested in it. no more no less.

i take screenshots of everything inspirational on the web. and i could really use an app addition to the built in screenshot app with os x that maybe if you hold a hot key would simply pop up a box allowing you to name the new screenshot.

not at all a super powerful app, but one "i would consider as important (almost) as a apple menu. it would save so much time for me with organization and checkin browser looks and stuff

sorry you guys got pissed an all, i forgot i posted it til developer private messeged me (easiest way to definately hit me up)
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

tikki
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 01:08 AM

can't/shouldn't Snapz Pro do that?

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

Rickster
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 01:45 AM

Snapz does do that, I think...
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 01:57 AM

Yep, I think Snapz does that, and if not, Developer's AppleScript should do the trick nicely.

See, you'll get more helpful comments if you just tell us what you want...

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Yep, I think Snapz does that, and if not, Developer's AppleScript should do the trick nicely.

See, you'll get more helpful comments if you just tell us what you want...
hey sorry i posted after a full night of trying to crank out html and php. i don't want snapz though. i have used it and really don't ever use it. i am dial up so no need for copying movie clips. and i just want a simple command key or something that gives a pop up to name that pic you just took. no additional, needing updated software that odds are, will be buggy with new os builds.

i am seriously happy with developers script though. mad props!
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

kzmk
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Naming new screenshots?

Let's see:

Code:
on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items tell application "Finder" repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items set this_file to item i of these_items set the_name to the name of this_file if (the_name contains "Picture " and the_name contains ".pdf") then display dialog "Name new screenshot:" default answer the_name buttons {"OK"} default button 1 set the_new_name to the text returned of the result if (the_new_name is not the_name) then set the name of this_file to the_new_name end if end if end repeat end tell end adding folder items to
Save this as executable script in Library/Scripts/Folder Action Scripts/ enable folder actions and attach it to the desktop folder.
that's quite cool.

could you modify this to have the name automatically be the date and time?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 10:58 AM

that's quite cool.

could you modify this to have the name automatically be the date and time?
Code:
on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items tell application "Finder" repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items set this_file to item i of these_items set the_name to the name of this_file set the_date to the (current date) as string set the_date_name to "" repeat with j from 1 to the number of characters of the_date if ((the character j of the_date) is not ":") then set the_date_name to the_date_name & the character j of the_date else set the_date_name to the_date_name & "-" end if end repeat set the_date_name to the_date_name & ".pdf" if (the_name contains "Picture " and the_name contains ".pdf") then display dialog "Name new screenshot:" default answer the_date_name buttons {"OK"} default button 1 set the_new_name to the text returned of the result if (the_new_name is not the_name) then set the name of this_file to the_new_name end if end if end repeat end tell end adding folder items to
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
i don't want snapz though. i have used it and really don't ever use it. i am dial up so no need for copying movie clips. and i just want a simple command key or something that gives a pop up to name that pic you just took. no additional, needing updated software that odds are, will be buggy with new os builds.

i am seriously happy with developers script though. mad props!
You don't have to buy the version with movies. Snapz, as long as I have been using OS X with it (10.1.3 I think), has never broken, except with one application, iTunes4. Your overlooking an incredible application here. They even took out all the localizations (except english) in the most recent version, making the download easier on dialup. You also don't have to 1)move the captured pic from the desktop to your working folder 2)scale in Photoshop 3)convert from .pdf 3)resize (filesize) pic in Photoshop 4)add borders in Photoshop 5)etc, etc

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 01:15 PM

I agree, Snapz is a great product. If you're seriously going to take a lot of screencaps, it does pretty much everything you could ever ask for.

Anyway, all this hubbub over a feature that was implemented with a 15 line applescript...

kzmk
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
I agree, Snapz is a great product. If you're seriously going to take a lot of screencaps, it does pretty much everything you could ever ask for.

Anyway, all this hubbub over a feature that was implemented with a 15 line applescript...
just for the record: when taking screenshots with command-4, the finder recieves a file *before* the actual selection is taken.
that, in turn, makes the script useless, as you get the dialog while making your selection.
hitting escape with the dialog open (because you want to cancel the screenshot) crashes some obscure "mac something server" or some such (has to do with the folder actions, obviously).

well...

developer: thanx for the date/time thingy.

absmiths
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 02:14 PM

just for the record: when taking screenshots with command-4, the finder recieves a file *before* the actual selection is taken.
that, in turn, makes the script useless, as you get the dialog while making your selection.
Could you just insert a 5-second pause before prompting with the dialog? Maybe that would give the Finder enough time to save the snapshot (unless this thing is single-threaded, in which case it would simply lock the screen).

Forum Links
Forum Rules