Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I believe I have found the fastest browser on OS X (it's not Safari)

I believe I have found the fastest browser on OS X (it's not Safari)
trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 02:58 AM

I just built the X11 version of Mozilla with fink.

It's easily 3x as fast as the native OS X mozilla, and maybe 1.5x as fast as Safari. Of course, it doesn't use any text-smoothing or Quartz features, so I'm sure that accounts for some of the effect.

But this is the pinnacle of OS X browser snappiness. I highly suggest you give it a shot.

(I'm still gonna stick with Safari most of the time though... well integrated, very fast, and BEAUTIFUL rendering)
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
May 7, 2003, 03:08 AM

You're wrong - Lynx (or Links) is the faster OS X browser. Of course, it has about 5% of the features of most other browsers, but you can't deny it's fast...

Of course X11 Mozilla is going to be fast if it doesn't do text smoothing or any other nice things that we've come to expect !

Vi0
Baninated
May 7, 2003, 03:11 AM

Uh X11 isn't OS X. Mozilla looks like crap and is crap next to Safari.

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
You're wrong - Lynx (or Links) is the faster OS X browser. Of course, it has about 5% of the features of most other browsers, but you can't deny it's fast...

Of course X11 Mozilla is going to be fast if it doesn't do text smoothing or any other nice things that we've come to expect !
Forgot about lynx.

I prefer "links" though. It actually renders tables, and on Linux it has GPM support. Kick ass!

To the other guy: Yeah, it does look like crap. And I guess there's some room for interpretation about what makes an "OS X" app, but it's certainly running on OS X so that's good enough for my standards.

I'm still sticking to Safari though for obvious reasons.
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Vi0
Baninated
May 7, 2003, 07:05 AM

BFD, I could run Linux on VPC on OS X. But nobody in their right mind would say that Gnome is running on OS X under such circumstances.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 07:50 AM

*is in his right mind*
*says that Gnome runs on OS X*
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

gorickey
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2003, 08:44 AM

Phew, I thought you were going to say Internet Explorer or something...

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 09:02 AM

Camino is probably just as fast and its got a fairly good UI. Still doesn't cut it for me, but it is considerably faster than safari.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Sarah31
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 11:29 AM

gee i never realised a few second or fractions of a second meant so much to so many people.

the fuss over browsers is like fussing over fonts.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2003, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by Sarah31:
gee i never realised a few second or fractions of a second meant so much to so many people.

the fuss over browsers is like fussing over fonts.
Fussing over fonts? In what? Design? you ninny!

-Owl

trusted_content  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
BFD, I could run Linux on VPC on OS X. But nobody in their right mind would say that Gnome is running on OS X under such circumstances.
umm.... big fsckin difference there, buddy.

i'm not running Mozilla in an EMULATOR. it's native code. therefore, it's running on OS X.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
May 7, 2003, 03:38 PM

I'll stick with Safari because it is more polished and has more complete features for things like download handling and forms auto fill. It is more than fast enough to use all the bandwidth of my 56K connection!

Vi0
Baninated
May 8, 2003, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
umm.... big fsckin difference there, buddy.

i'm not running Mozilla in an EMULATOR. it's native code. therefore, it's running on OS X.
Same difference. You can't run what you describe without X11, a foreign element not supposed to be part of OS X. So it doesn't run on OS X.

JLL
Professional Poster
May 8, 2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Same difference. You can't run what you describe without X11, a foreign element not supposed to be part of OS X. So it doesn't run on OS X.
Huh?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/x11/

JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules