Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Dell is at it again: 30GB iPod for $409.10 (5/19 Only)

Dell is at it again: 30GB iPod for $409.10 (5/19 Only)
shrink
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 01:35 PM

http://www.dealsontheweb.com/deal/8039

From the above link:

New 30GB iPod: $409 Shipped- Today Only
Dell is offering the new 30GB iPod for $499. Order by 5/22 for an instant 10% discount to drop the price down to $449.10. TODAY only, take an additional $40 off with coupon code "91088152AF61" for a final price of $409.10. With Free ground shipping, it's the lowest current price we've seen. Offer ends tonight at 11 PM CST.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the post! Hopefully anyone that missed the last one can jump on this one...any idea if this will work on the 15gig model?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2003, 02:12 PM

Well at least it's not quite as good a deal as before, which makes me feel like I didn't make a mistake impulsively buying the 30 a few days ago.

boardsurfer
May 19, 2003, 03:11 PM

yeah, I grabbed the 15 a few days ago too

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 04:29 PM

Welp, I found out, this deal applies to the 15gig as well! $5 higher than before, but still a great deal:

--New 15GB iPod: $319 Shipped- Today Only
Dell is offering the new 15GB iPod for $399. Order by 5/22 for an instant 10% discount to drop the price down to $359.10. TODAY only, use coupon code "91088152AF61" to save an additional $40 for a final price of $319.10. It's the lowest current price we've seen. Offer ends tonight at 11 PM CST.--
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Phrogman
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 05:10 PM

Its actually a little cheaper....the old coupon was for $45 off $400. This forced you to pad your order with stuff to get your total above $399. The new coupon is for $40 off $350....no padding required for the 15 gigger!

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Welp, I found out, this deal applies to the 15gig as well! $5 higher than before, but still a great deal:

--New 15GB iPod: $319 Shipped- Today Only
Dell is offering the new 15GB iPod for $399. Order by 5/22 for an instant 10% discount to drop the price down to $359.10. TODAY only, use coupon code "91088152AF61" to save an additional $40 for a final price of $319.10. It's the lowest current price we've seen. Offer ends tonight at 11 PM CST.--

Producer
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2003, 05:53 PM

can you buy more than one and get the full discount with the coupon on both?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
If you use seperate names for shipping/billing, such as a husband order one on his card, and the wife order one on her card. However, I doubt you can order multiple ones under the same name.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Producer:
the 10% off applies to the whole order (i.e. instead of $40 off of one, it would be $80 off of 2) but the $40 deal stays the same. so you would get $80 off of one ($320) or $120 off of 2 ($340 each).

Duo
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 08:22 PM

Whenever I go to the Dell web site I can never find the listing for ipods. Am I missing something or am I blind?

Duo

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 08:41 PM

I can't find it either. Also, the link supplied at the Deals on the Web site leads to a "Sorry, product was not found" message.

Could it be that the deal was listed by Dell in error?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Dr. Wahnsinn:
I can't find it either. Also, the link supplied at the Deals on the Web site leads to a "Sorry, product was not found" message.

Could it be that the deal was listed by Dell in error?
Well I'll be danged!!!

I just went to www.dell.com and did exactly as I did the night I ordered my iPod, and searched for "ipod" in the "Software & Perphs." section and it found 7 results: 5 RAM choices and 2 iPods (15 & 30). Just searching now, it yeilds ONLY those 5 RAM choices, and no iPods. None anywhere. I searched every section, and even typed in the Dell SKU shown on my order page in which I ordered the 15gig iPod and it won't recognize their own SKU. Strange...anyone else seeing this? I wonder if it's just Dell taking them off temporarily b/c of the influx of people taking advantage of this insane deal?

I'd be willing to bet they took the iPods off until this deal is over, as they can't actually afford to lend this deal to the iPods and have done it so far by mistake...we'll see tomorrow if they return.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 09:03 PM

Ahhh, in further investigation, Dell has completely removed the actual link in the "Software & Perphs" section of "MP3 Players" that was clearly there earlier. Now, to get to the MP3 Players Site, you hafta search for "mp3" and click the link, and this is where the iPods would normally be, however, tonight they're gone.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Doc Juansinn
Senior User
May 19, 2003, 09:11 PM

Ok, so Dell has some problems.

I just called them up using the number on their website. After negotiating the (far too many) menu choices, I received a "This number is not in service. Please call ... for support." [click].

I suppose that the more paranoid ones will speculate that Apple isn't happy with Dell selling at less than MSRP and decided to hack Dell's website and phone system.

In any case, it's a strange situation.

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 09:39 PM

I ordered a 15 gb ipod. I missed the deal the other day, so I took advantage of this one - although I hadn't planned on buying a new ipod this soon. My son borrowed my original 5 gb back in September and the rest, as they say, is history.

Finding the ipod on the Dell site was not as easy as it was the other day, but I did find it and received confirmation from Dell that it would ship on or before the 29th of May.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 19, 2003, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by chiara:
I ordered a 15 gb ipod. I missed the deal the other day, so I took advantage of this one - although I hadn't planned on buying a new ipod this soon. My son borrowed my original 5 gb back in September and the rest, as they say, is history.

Finding the ipod on the Dell site was not as easy as it was the other day, but I did find it and received confirmation from Dell that it would ship on or before the 29th of May.
How'd you find it?

Phew! I'm glad I ordered mine the other day! Something's definitely fishy here...I'd bet either Dell made a mistake, or Apple is just plain mad.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

lawgeek
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 10:28 PM

Yep, they definitely don't have the iPods on the mp3 players page anymore. Good thing I snagged one this afternoon. I'm guessing they are losing money on them, at least the 15GB ones.

chiara
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 19, 2003, 10:50 PM

I can't even get on the dell site now.....but when I was able to I did a search of peripherals, then typed in ipod and Voila!

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 19, 2003, 11:49 PM

This afternoon, I placed a 30GB in the shopping cart, just for fun (I ordered one during the last deal). Well, it's still there with the discount. It almost makes me want to order it just because I can...but I think I can resist.

jdhindes
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 12:33 AM

I ordered mine this afternoon--a 15 gig model. Thanks for the posting. Maybe Dell has sold out! Anyway, I should have mine by May 29 too!

Can't wait!

Jim

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 07:03 AM

Congrats for those who picked one up using this deal!!

It's now 5/20/03 in all American time zones, and the iPod is still nowhere to be found on Dell's site...hmmm.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 07:30 AM

Yeah, there are no iPods on the Dell website.

Duo
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 01:24 PM

Hmmm, I can't even load the dell web site. I get an error.

Duo

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 03:38 PM

Yeah, if you try the direct link provided at some of those Dell sites, it'll give you an error b/c previously it linked directly to the iPod on Dell's site, which of course is no longer there.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
May 20, 2003, 06:18 PM

Has anyone's order from the other day actually shipped? I've got a tracking number, but apparently UPS doesn't have its hands on it yet, so I'm wondering if the 5/30 estimate is accurate after all.

Not really a problem, but I guess Dell's idea of "shipped" differs from mine.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by Ver de Terre:
Has anyone's order from the other day actually shipped? I've got a tracking number, but apparently UPS doesn't have its hands on it yet, so I'm wondering if the 5/30 estimate is accurate after all.

Not really a problem, but I guess Dell's idea of "shipped" differs from mine.
I got my CDs today (5/20) but the iPod is still delayed until 5/30, according to dell

boardsurfer
May 20, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
I got my CDs today (5/20) but the iPod is still delayed until 5/30, according to dell
Just out of curiosity: where did your order ship from? Was it Dallas? My cd's are slated to be delivered tomorrow, iPod delayed until 5/30. Interesting that a shipment would make it to New Jersey before San Diego when/if shipped the same day from the sme place. Did you choose the free ground shipping?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
I got my 10-pack of CD-RW's today (5/20) and they shipped from TN to NC, and my 15gig iPod is in line to be delivered tomorrow according to my UPS tracking info. as it shipped the same day (5/16) yet from TX to NC, hence the extra day. *very excited!*
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

klinux
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 09:22 PM

To think when Dell first started selling iPods people were predicting doom and gloom. Coming from the PC side, I have always known that Dell's kind of innovation != Apple's innovation. Dell can lower the price to a point where no one else can (no it is not that easy) and that eventually benefits everyone.

FWIW, I got my 20gb iPod in late April for $284. Sure, not as thin and slick as the 3G iPod but it works great.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 20, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by klinux:

FWIW, I got my 20gb iPod in late April for $284. Sure, not as thin and slick as the 3G iPod but it works great.
That's a crazy deal, I wish I would've known about that in April...you got it that cheap from Dell?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Forum Links
Forum Rules