Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to Install Ram on New iBook?

How to Install Ram on New iBook?
MacMaui
May 20, 2003, 11:02 PM

Could someone please provide a link to instructions? Apple.com has instructions but they are rather brief. I'd like something with more detail and perhaps photos. Preferable no PDF format.

Thanks.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 02:30 AM

Check the manual that came with your iBook. It should give you all the help you need.

MacMaui  (op)
May 21, 2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Check the manual that came with your iBook. It should give you all the help you need.
Cool, the ibook hasn't actually arrived yet, but is on the way. I was just trying to study ahead....

Zag
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 04:34 AM

Originally posted by MacMaui:
Could someone please provide a link to instructions? Apple.com has instructions but they are rather brief. I'd like something with more detail and perhaps photos. Preferable no PDF format.

Thanks.
Did you check here?
here
I'm going to install 512 mb in my ibook this saturday

-Q-
May 21, 2003, 09:14 AM

Don't budget a lot of time for it, it's stupid easy to install. But do follow the directions exactly, especially when it suggests to first install the RAM at an angle and then snapping it into place. It installs very, very easily if you do that.

MacMaui  (op)
May 21, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Don't budget a lot of time for it, it's stupid easy to install. But do follow the directions exactly, especially when it suggests to first install the RAM at an angle and then snapping it into place. It installs very, very easily if you do that.
Install at an angle? Does it say that in the ibook manual? The apple KB document didn't mention it.

As for the movies, I'm on webtv right now and it's unable to play them.

I know it's supposed to be easy to install, I'm just a little nervous about it and would like to find somewhere on the net with very detailed instructions. I've tried both google and yahoo searches but the only thing that comes up are PDF files which webtv can't view.

billybob128
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 02:17 PM

installing ram is one of those things you will just no how to do cause it will only go in one way but still:

1.get to the slot
2.put it in at about a 45 degree angle
it might be quite stiff but put a bit of pressure behind it and it should just slide in

MacMaui  (op)
May 22, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by billybob128:
installing ram is one of those things you will just no how to do cause it will only go in one way but still:

1.get to the slot
2.put it in at about a 45 degree angle
it might be quite stiff but put a bit of pressure behind it and it should just slide in
Thanks. FWIW, I did find rather detailed instructions at crucial's website. Not ibook specific, but once the keyboard is removed it must be essentially the same.

Btw, can anyone confirm that the 900mhz ibook uses the same kind of memory as the 800mhz? I assume it does, just wanted to make sure... Crucial's website only lists up to the 800mhz model in their compatability assistant.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2003, 02:49 PM

Thanks. FWIW, I did find rather detailed instructions at crucial's website. Not ibook specific, but once the keyboard is removed it must be essentially the same.
MacMaui: Seriously, you shouldn't have any trouble installing memory in your iBook, as long as you have small screwdrivers that are the right size. I just installed a 512MB stick in my iBook yesterday and having the proper tools made all the difference.

Btw, can anyone confirm that the 900mhz ibook uses the same kind of memory as the 800mhz?
Yes. All the white iBooks, from the 500Mhz to the 900Mhz models, use the same kind of memory.

Good luck. You can do it!

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

MacMaui  (op)
May 22, 2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by escher:
MacMaui:
Good luck. You can do it!

Escher
Thanks Escher! Just ordered 512MB from Crucial and scoured Home Depot yesterday to successfully find a set with a metal, non-magnetic #0 phillips.

Am I correct in saying that when you unscrew the keyboard screw that you turn it counter-clockwise (to the left)? I've read stories of people stripping the screws, don't wanna do that.

New ibook arrives tomorrow, yipee!

FXWizard
Forum Regular
May 22, 2003, 03:32 PM

Two words:

tiny screwdriver.

billybob128
Senior User
May 22, 2003, 04:03 PM

i dunno if you have them where you are but if you can spare a few bucks for a teck deck one of those finger skate boards the screwdriver in them work amazinly for it they are perfectly sized

escher
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2003, 11:41 PM

Am I correct in saying that when you unscrew the keyboard screw that you turn it counter-clockwise (to the left)?
If you're talking about the white plastic srew above the 6-key that holds down the keyboard, you can turn it either way. You can look down at it from the top and see how the little latch retracts as you turn the screw 180 degrees. However, on a new iBook the keyboard shouldn't even be locked down.

If you're talking about the metal screws on the heat shield you unscrew them counter-clockwise, like all normal screws. When you get the iBook, make sure your Philips screwdriver is the right size for the screw. Don't use the scredriver you bought at Home Depot if it is too small or too large. I got a set of about 10 Philips head and 10 flat head mini-screwdrivers from Radio Shack. They've been a great investment, because you can easily move up or down one size if they don't fit.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

MacMaui  (op)
May 23, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by escher:
If you're talking about the white plastic srew above the 6-key that holds down the keyboard, you can turn it either way. You can look down at it from the top and see how the little latch retracts as you turn the screw 180 degrees. However, on a new iBook the keyboard shouldn't even be locked down.

If you're talking about the metal screws on the heat shield you unscrew them counter-clockwise, like all normal screws. When you get the iBook, make sure your Philips screwdriver is the right size for the screw. Don't use the scredriver you bought at Home Depot if it is too small or too large. I got a set of about 10 Philips head and 10 flat head mini-screwdrivers from Radio Shack. They've been a great investment, because you can easily move up or down one size if they don't fit.

Escher
That's part of the problem, I don't know what I'm talking about The directions here at apple.com say that for a dual USB ibook to remove the keyboard, remove the ram shield, and install the ram. Only a #0 phillips should be needed. I just assumed there must be a screw for the keyboard, and one for the ram shield. From Home Depot I did get a set of 8 tiny screw drivers, including one #0 and one #1 phillips, thus I should be covered.

Thanks!

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2003, 04:59 AM

Install at an angle? Does it say that in the ibook manual? The apple KB document didn't mention it.

As for the movies, I'm on webtv right now and it's unable to play them.

I know it's supposed to be easy to install, I'm just a little nervous about it and would like to find somewhere on the net with very detailed instructions. I've tried both google and yahoo searches but the only thing that comes up are PDF files which webtv can't view.
I guess you've already found instructions, but for many PDF files, Google has them translated into HTML as well. Just click on the "View as HTML" link.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules