Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12"PB giving me hard time ... got adive?

12"PB giving me hard time ... got adive?
iSky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 10:15 AM

I recently switched to a 12"PB, but lately the machine tells me more than once a day "You need to restart your computer", so basically I guess it shows me what I used to know as the blue screen. Strangely enough, all I did so far with the computer is creating the address book and such light stuff plus some surfing. As far as I am concerned, I have no idea why my precious PB is failing on me.
Did anyone else experience this? What can I do to check what's wrong?
Thanks!
Enjoying my 12"PB
since April 19, 2003

Goodness, it's more than just a laptop..

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2003, 10:32 AM

Originally posted by iSky:
I recently switched to a 12"PB, but lately the machine tells me more than once a day "You need to restart your computer", so basically I guess it shows me what I used to know as the blue screen. Strangely enough, all I did so far with the computer is creating the address book and such light stuff plus some surfing. As far as I am concerned, I have no idea why my precious PB is failing on me.
Did anyone else experience this? What can I do to check what's wrong?
Thanks!
First, start up from and run your Hardware Test CD to see if you have any hardware problems. If all OK, then start up from the System CD and run Disk Repair and Repair Permissions. If this doesn't work I'd do an "Archive and Install" of your system. This will give you a brand new system without touching any of your other files and preferences. If this doesn't work as a last resort I'd seriously consider wiping your hard drive and reinstalling the system and all your apps.

Good Luck!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2003, 10:33 AM

If you mean that the machine is locking up and you have to restart, that is obviously not supposed to happen. You might try removing any extra RAM you have added to see if that might solve the problem.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 10:35 AM

Is the "you need to restart" in several languages? That's a kernel (sp?) panic. Not good! (I'm sure you've figured that out already.)

I'm far from expert, despite using Macs for years and years. I'm sure others will help you -- but to get anyone started, what version are you running? Have you added any software? Is anything plugged in (peripherals) when this occurs? What precisely are you doing when this occurs? How long have you owned the 12-in and when did the panics start?

I think I'd start with running disk first aid and repairing the disk and the permissions. Maybe that will uncover something.

By the way, I have a 12in PB as well. I've had it since February and have had 2 panics. I hope I have no more...

wallinbl
Professional Poster
May 21, 2003, 10:54 AM

I remember reading a post somewhere that said they got kernel panics when they put any pressure on the left side of the trackpad. The poster said they found information on the Apple website about it. Problem is apparently with the Airport card. You can open your case and reseat the card to eliminate the problem.

(Note that this is one possible solution, and may not be your problem. I suggest you find "official" instructions on doing this and don't rely on my questionable memory.)

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by bbales:
That's a kernel (sp?) panic.
spelling is correct

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
I remember reading a post somewhere that said they got kernel panics when they put any pressure on the left side of the trackpad.
That was me. You might want to check this: Push onto the left side of your trackpad, not too hard, just so it registers. If you get a kernal panic then your airport card (assuming you've got an airport card) isn't properly seated and needs to be removed and and refitted.

I had a very similar sounding problem, the above solved it 100%.

Best of luck.

rsxtricky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2003, 06:48 PM

I've had this happen a couple times with mine. Do you use Airport? That seemed to be the cause of my woes...and the workaround was simply to just reset the basestation. In my case I'm using a D-Link basestation with the Airport Extreme card.

bbales
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
spelling is correct

Thanks! Of course, by the next time I need to type it I'll forget again, but for this one brief (shining) moment, I remember...

n_lim
Forum Regular
May 21, 2003, 10:19 PM

I too have had this happen once. The multi-language please restart message. I was using VLC at the time, thought it might be a codec issue. Tried pressing on the left side of the trackpad and nothing happened. Wonder if this is a 12" pb issue only?
12" Al 867|60GB|SD

iamnid
Senior User
May 21, 2003, 11:59 PM

It could be that you are running 10.2.5 and are experiencing the USB hub problem. If this is the case (you are running 10.2.5 and are using a usb hub), try removing any usb devices and see if you still get a kernel panic. If so, that's your problem and it can be solved by upgrading to 10.2.6

iSky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2003, 05:29 AM

Thanks everyone for the help! I've owned the 12"PB since mid-April, with AirportExtreme card installed and OS X 10.2.5 running. Also I used a USB mouse while working with iPhoto when the Kernel panics occured. I had at least 6 of them by now ... one of them right after the PB had started up, before I had even touched anything. (very disturbing). The trackpad does not seem to be the problem.
I'll try what you all suggested and see if it worked.
Cheers!
Enjoying my 12"PB
since April 19, 2003

mousehouse
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2003, 04:10 PM

i had problems with the same message but fixed it by applying the 10.2.5 updater. this didn't work through the updater, as .5 was already running, but as a separate complete download it worked...

good luck
MacBook Pro 13"/2.66 (09/2010), Mac Mini c2d/1.83 (01/2008)

Olorin
May 26, 2003, 09:37 PM

Seems to be a bad RAM problem to me. Run the Apple Hardware test and see what it says. I'm betting on bad RAM.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

xdfk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2003, 04:05 AM

i have the same problem
i bought my powerbook in february and always had these problems. i even did some repartitioning before installing macosX again.

i think there have been about 10 kernel panics by now.
this really sucks. i always thought it has something to do wieth networking because it most of the time happened when unplugging the network cable. (but this is just my thought)
pressing on the left palm rest did not cause one. it already happended before the airport card was installed.

is there no logfile to see what caused the kernel panic?

12"pb/256MB ram/airport extreme
it was worst with 1.2.4 and got better with every update i think. at the moment i run 1.2.6 and hat 1 so far

nbnz
Senior User
May 27, 2003, 08:11 AM

I've had the same problems on my 12"PB. Sucks big time I seem to have had it a few times when connecting my dial up modem, may be just coincidence. Haven't had one for a few weeks so fingers crossed it got sorted with 10.2.6, or if the extra RAM I got wasn't seated properly and settled in with time. Anyway, if I get it again I'm now living 3 blocks from an Apple reseller.

If you find what's causing it let us know.

iSky  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by Icruise:
If you mean that the machine is locking up and you have to restart, that is obviously not supposed to happen. You might try removing any extra RAM you have added to see if that might solve the problem. [/QUOTE]

Icruise, you were right! Removing the RAM really did the trick. The machine's been stable ever since. Any idea how to solve this?
How can I make sure that the next 512mb I buy is supported properly?
Regards, iSky
Enjoying my 12"PB
since April 19, 2003

Forum Links
Forum Rules